Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Future for inner-peace

CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
Based off of my onservations, the future for people with inner-peace will be scuppered. The generations are becoming increasingly egotistic and cynical, while the peaceful population is decreasing. The goal of happiness is on everybodys mind, but yet very few are willing to accomplish that goal, and believe they can do it. With wars fought over oil, and material Items being cherrished more than man-kind itself, the future is dim. The world is a beautiful place that is being taken advantage of, and it will fight back.

Comments

• Perhaps Cory.
    Perhaps not. I am hopeful that each generation has something that makes for a better world. We are developing more eco friendly and spiritually and scientific and socially aware individuals. Could we do with more? Always.
    Invincible_summer
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    @lobster We need compassion most of all.
    lobster
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Cory said:

Based off of my onservations, the future for people with inner-peace will be scuppered. The generations are becoming increasingly egotistic and cynical, while the peaceful population is decreasing. The goal of happiness is on everybodys mind, but yet very few are willing to accomplish that goal, and believe they can do it. With wars fought over oil, and material Items being cherrished more than man-kind itself, the future is dim. The world is a beautiful place that is being taken advantage of, and it will fight back.

Sow the seed of Dhamma then!
    Invincible_summer
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    You can't change the world, you can only change what you do. As the Buddha said "be a lamp unto yourself"
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • All time periods/generations have their issues. It's easy to bemoan how awful things are now and build the past up as some kind of golden age, but in the end people are people. Despite advances in technology, we still have a lot of the same problems. However, there are good things going on now too -- however, progress isn't always as quick as we would like it. It can often be a two steps forward, one step back scenario (at least that's how I feel about the US -- I can't really speak so well for other places). Try to see the positives and not let the negative stuff overwhelm you.
    lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., observed: "It's not what's wrong with the world that scares people. What really scares them is that everything is all right."

And Gautama the Buddha was alleged to have said, "It is not what others do and do not do that is my concern. It is what I do and do not do -- that is my concern."
    lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't believe that at all, Cory. You get out of the world what you put into it. What you immerse yourself in, is what you see. I see a lot more positive, beautiful things in the world because that is what I choose to spend my time with now. I have young kids, and they are far from egotistical. My son, who is now 16 but was 13 at the time, is who brought me to Buddhism. If all you look for is doom and gloom, that is all you will see.

I love these lines from The Way of the Bodhisattva, the whole of Chapter 3 of that book is a really good one to read when you are feeling as you are, but I like these lines the most:

May I be a guard for those who are protectorless,
    A guide for those who journey on the road.
    For those who wish to cross the water,
    May I be a boat, a raft, a bridge.

May I be an isle for those you yearn for land,
    A lamp for those who long for light;
    For all who need a resting place, a bed;
    For those who need a servant, may I be their slave.

Sometimes, it helps to remember that those who seem the farthest from inner peace, are the ones who need compassion the most.
    lobster
  • Cory said:

@lobster We need compassion most of all.

being compassionate for ourselves is hardest, we know how weak and virtue lacking that individual is . . . Be kind to yourself, expect to fail and you will be more successful at succeeding . . . When kinder to our foibles . . . We are more compassionate . . . I may be wrong - it is OK.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    If it's "scuppered" (never heard of that word before!) then it's scuppered. The best we can do is practice the dhamma, encourage others to do the same (skillfully, of course), and let things take their course.