Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Realistic and good practice for Westerners: my Experience

Hi to all from Spain! What a wonderful web-forum :=)

I think that a person from a Western Country interested in Buddhism and some degree of practice has several options:
It can be the main Belief/ Philosophy/ Religion, or a 'complement' to previous Beliefs/ Religions/ Lack of Religion.
No dogmatism should replace previous dogmatism!

Then, follow what best suits yourself: individual meditation-practice (probably some kind of 'iniciation' in an 'Official Sangha' would be advisable, not 100%, though!).

If group-meditation and active Sangha 'Membership' is ok, go ahead with it!

In my case, daily home meditation, of about 15 to 30 minutes has worked wonderfully; time and energy after work are an issue! Meditation helps recharge the mind and body's battery/ batteries.

Apart from intensive reading, I travelled to Taiwan, not primarily for Buddhism, but 2 cool free 'Buddhist Books' from Hotels, with witty quotations & adages were inspiring, besides Buddhist Temples visits.

I once visited a Soto Zen Centre for initiation here in Spain- (cool but a bit dogmatic in case your backaches or disc herniations are an issue!; kind of told me 'in your next life your back could be ok!!, don´t worry too much now').

I recently came accross a famous & great 'Online Sangha' promoting at least 'daily 15' Zazen at home' and saying, wisely:
'The best Zen is so disappointing' (especially for those who expect wonders out of the blue !).

Apart from visiting about twice a year a 'registered' Tibetan Temple in my area, my next steps:

keep reading this web, helping other beings around me- or faraway, through charities, and my daily home practice of about 15', often using some tiny bells.
Reliable & honest centres and sources are important; there is sometimes an exaggerated 'merchandising' and marketing zeal that can destroy the essence of it all, even if there is a good will.

GASSHO/ ADIÓS!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Daisen-in2.jpg
lobsterriverflowDaltheJigsawBunksWisdom23chela

Comments