Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New jobs to add to the "Wrong Livelihood" list

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
@sndymorn posted in an early thread about a committee being set up in buddhism to add new jobs to the list for wrong livelihood.

This got me thinking.

I'd add:

- Advertising Industry (a controversial one I know as there are certain advertisements (community announcements for example) that are possibly beneficial to the community).
- Adult Film Industry

Any others people would like to add or discuss?

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    In my mind, the only jobs that are almost objectively immoral are drug dealer and hitman. Why? Because these are paths that only cause harm to others, and I find it very difficult to believe that someone was so desperate for a job all they could do was be a hired gun or push dope...
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    A bee keeper, you have to kill some of them and often have to smoke them out of there hive which can't be pleasant.
  • Harsh chemical maker. Oil business. Plastic surgeon. Weapon production. Fish farm.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Weapons designer. The people most responsible for creating arms in the first place....
    What kind of an imagination do you have to have, to actually think of better/more painful ways of killing another creature?
    riverflowstavros388
  • Weapons arent inherently "bad", oil is very necessary, I'm not even sure what a harsh chemical is. Why be so concerned with such things?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Used car sales. :D
    riverflowlobsterInvincible_summerTosh
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited March 2013
    If plastic surgery or advertising or any other were to be deemed to be wrong livelihood, what would the consequences be? What were they before? What is the point of the excersize?
    My job is already at the top of the list, but if I was doing some other work I might be worried if some random folks started deciding who's karma was going to take a hit and whose wasn't.
    vinlynMaryAnne
  • Professional Buddhist, voluntary celibate and tax avoider. ;)
    Lucy_BegoodInvincible_summernenkohai
  • In my mind, the only jobs that are almost objectively immoral are drug dealer and hitman.

Agreed. And isn't selling alcohol dealing in a type of drug?
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    Taxidermy, because you are taking animal corpses and turnig them into a decoration.
    BhanteLuckyBunksInvincible_summer
  • chelachela Veteran
    I think another thing to point out is that we are all responsible in some way for these things we list as wrong livelihood. It is society that supports these things that we regard as "wrong". If you want to find out how you contribute, you have to play a game sort of like Six Degrees of Separation to figure it out. It's the same way with anything regarded as "wrong". When you see a homeless person, you can think deeply about how your actions have played into homelessness. Don't like crack dealers? Guess what- somewhere down the line, you probably contribute to this wrong livelihood. Think oil drilling is bad for the earth? Think about how you contribute. Don't like deforestation? Well, you've probably contributed to that, as well.

It's not always an easy connection, you have to go back in history, sometimes way back. Also, think about the things you buy and from what companies and countries, and where the money goes. We are all connected, we are all these things. There is no separateness- it's an illusion.
    riverflowSabbyInvincible_summerblack_tea
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited March 2013
    chela said:

I think another thing to point out is that we are all responsible in some way for these things we list as wrong livelihood. It is society that supports these things that we regard as "wrong". If you want to find out how you contribute, you have to play a game sort of like Six Degrees of Separation to figure it out. It's the same way with anything regarded as "wrong".

@chela - this. What you say in your post reminds me of this Bob Dylan song which illustrates what you are saying:

Who killed Davey Moore
    Why an’ what’s the reason for?

“Not I,” says the referee
    “Don’t point your finger at me
    I could’ve stopped it in the eighth
    An’ maybe kept him from his fate
    But the crowd would’ve booed, I’m sure
    At not gettin’ their money’s worth
    It’s too bad he had to go
    But there was a pressure on me too, you know
    It wasn’t me that made him fall
    No, you can’t blame me at all”

Who killed Davey Moore

“Not us,” says the angry crowd
    Whose screams filled the arena loud
    “It’s too bad he died that night
    But we just like to see a fight
    We didn’t mean for him t’ meet his death
    We just meant to see some sweat
    There ain’t nothing wrong in that
    It wasn’t us that made him fall
    No, you can’t blame us at all”

Who killed Davey Moore

“Not me,” says his manager
    Puffing on a big cigar
    “It’s hard to say, it’s hard to tell
    I always thought that he was well
    It’s too bad for his wife an’ kids he’s dead
    But if he was sick, he should’ve said

Who killed Davey Moore

“Not me,” says the gambling man
    With his ticket stub still in his hand
    “It wasn’t me that knocked him down
    My hands never touched him none
    I didn’t commit no ugly sin
    Anyway, I put money on him to win

Who killed Davey Moore

“Not me,” says the boxing writer
    Pounding print on his old typewriter
    Sayin’, “Boxing ain’t to blame
    There’s just as much danger in a football game”
    Sayin’, “Fistfighting is here to stay
    It’s just the old American way

Who killed Davey Moore

“Not me,” says the man whose fists
    Laid him low in a cloud of mist
    Who came here from Cuba’s door
    Where boxing ain’t allowed no more
    “I hit him, yes, it’s true
    But that’s what I am paid to do
    Don’t say ‘murder,’ don’t say ‘kill’
    It was destiny, it was God’s will”

Who killed Davey Moore
    Sabbychela
  • What's a parking inspector? Is that the same thing we used to call a Meter Maid back in the politically incorrect days, a person who wanders around handing out parking tickets when the meter expires? But, if it wasn't for the threat of a ticket or getting towed, almost nobody would obey the parking laws and it would be even harder to find a parking space.

But I'd have a hard time being the person to ruin a person's day by sticking that ticket on the car.
  • The "Wrong Livelihood List" is empty. May we all attain that.
    blu3ree
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Plastic surgeons don't only do boob jobs and face lifts.... plastic surgeons do cleft palettes in newborns and children, and piece people's faces and bodies back together after catastrophic accidents/injuries, too.

See? This is the kind of Black and White thinking that I was talking about in that other thread. If one doesn't look at things/concepts/ideas/problems from ALL sides instead of just labeling things right off the bat as good or bad- where's the Right Thought in that? Where's the Buddhist middle way?
    vinlynTheEccentricriverflowchela
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    This listing is ill-advised. I think those making it may be secret Catholics reborn from the days of the inquisition! :D
    MaryAnneriverflowchelaInvincible_summer
  • Jayantha said:

One thing to keep in mind with this thread.. is that right livelihood was not taught by the Buddha as a way to point out who should be judged by others.. but which professions someone who is serious about the practice should avoid if they can.

Bingo! IMO it's 'crossing the line' when one goes from deciding what is morally and ethically acceptable for their OWN lives, (based on religious beliefs or otherwise), to what they judge to be morally and ethically acceptable for everyone else.

Now of course, I'm not talking about things like murder or rape or child molestation, etc ... so let's not start splitting those hairs, please.

riverflow
  • Jayantha said:

One thing to keep in mind with this thread.. is that right livelihood was not taught by the Buddha as a way to point out who should be judged by others.. but which professions someone who is serious about the practice should avoid if they can.

My context for the suggestion we add to the list was based on the hope we could subtract. I do not like soldiers being on the list. But @jayantha helps clear up my confusion when he says " avoid if he can" I believe that until there is no need for soldiers there is no avoiding the occupation. I further believe that if I accept the protection of a soldier, at whatever level including living as a pacifist in a land which is protected by force (including soldiers, police, security guards) I am complicit.

I believe now the wrong livelihood list dwells in the realm of the ideal which can only be realized by an individual . "I" will not commit violence nor will I allow , even passively, violence to be committed for me. That is one tough row to hoe.
    Perhaps I am lost again. I know the pacifist position is a difficult one and to be admired as really there is almost no place one could go where one would not be under the protection another power. But so too does the soldier seeking to free innocence from tyranny have a difficult and admirable position. Where does a person who cannot stomach injustice go?
    Someday, may both pacifist and soldier by useless words.
    MaryAnneSabby
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited March 2013
    My view on soldiers is this, I highly respect soldiers not for some idealist reason like " they protect my freedom" , or that they kill.. But that they are often put in crazy situations that are so alien to normal life that I have a mixture of empathy, awe, admiration for them.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot as a kid(grandfather was a ww2 p-51 pilot).. Even worked towards that and tried to join as a young adult. Now im glad I never was because I wouldn't of wanted to bomb people. I'd sure still love to fly in one of those before I die though.

They are just like any other being stuck in samsara to me and deserve my equanimity.
    Invincible_summer
  • Hi there all,
    One of my best jobs was working in a betting shop. I used to feel guilty but a lot of old men used to come in for a bit of company and a laugh, and so i didn't feel so bad!
    Godbless
    Nutkins
    I'm not into adding professions to the list. But in terms of gambling, I'm not much into it. But when I used to visit my mother in Florida I would usually go for one evening each year over to the Jai Alai stadium and take a set amount of money with me to gamble with. When it was gone, or after 90 minutes -- win or lose -- I went home.

But, that gave me the chance to see the problem with gambling. Most of the people there were people who obviously didn't really have money to waste on gambling.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013

Weapons arent inherently "bad", oil is very necessary, I'm not even sure what a harsh chemical is. Why be so concerned with such things?

We could transfer to electric cars and improve overall life alot. Harsh chemicals are silicon and acids things that arnt biologically friendly. Sure no weapon is bad but anger behind a weapon has dangerous potential.

Forest monks arnt allowed to even own money.
    Sabby
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    There are things we can all do to improve our impact on society and the planet. But those things still need to be conducive to living in the real world, too. I keep my eye on the alternative car industry pretty closely. Once something that meets my needs is available in an alternate form, I will likely buy one. However, so far nothing exists that meets the needs of where I live and our family, and our budget. We do have a hybrid, but that's as close as we've been able to get.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2013
    As for me, the job I would put near the top of any such list of "reeking in really bad karma" jobs would be a Bouncer at a Guru Gala Party. To deprive any sentient being of an opportunity to draw nearer to the Light based on my own meager sense of what is good and right in the whole spectrum of things... O well. On second thought, as long as I didn't take my job seriously and let anybody pass through the gate, it might not be so bad. Guess I could just show up for work drunk, for that matter. :banghead:

So sorry, I finally had to chime in on this thread. As others have pointed out above, The Lord Buddha never did speak of wrong livelihood, just Right Livelihood. I think the purport of that is we need to address this issue conscientiously within ourselves, and not to be judgmental but rather expanding towards what is more beneficial to all. The judgmental is not forward thinking at all and isolates, whereas the expansive light-seeker is poised towards future beneficent growth.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    one thing that is ironically never mentioned is that almost all of our technology that we use today has some root in the military. yes, its certainly true that our medical tech helps to save lives, but SO many advancements are derivitives of something once intended ito kill someone first. thankfully, wars eventually end, and the tech is then applied more practically to actually help humans, but not usually before it is used to kill them. Re: Global Positioning Satelites- sure, they help you to avoid getting lost, but first it.
    helped missiles from getting lost.

Right livelihood? Thats for each to decide on their own. my dad worked on GPS satelites. i work with preschoolers, maybe one of these kids that i teach will grow up to be in the military and uses GPS to drop a bomb on someone, but maybe he/ she won't.. theres only a fine line between right/wrong. very, very, very fine.
    SabbykarastiTosh
    Good points, @TheBeejAbides. I totally agree.
    Completely unrelated, your mention of GPS made me dig mine out and get our swag box ready for geocaching. Once the snow melts anyhow, we have a storm in progress, lol
  • dealing with the distribution of other beings. ( butcher human trafficker etc)
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Nirvana said:

As others have pointed out above, The Lord Buddha never did speak of wrong livelihood, just Right Livelihood.

Er, well, here's a sutta, short and sweet, where the Buddha speaks of wrong livelihood.
    Vanijja Sutta: Business (Wrong Livelihood)
    translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

"Monks, a lay follower should not engage in five types of business. Which five? Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison.

"These are the five types of business that a lay follower should not engage in."

blu3ree
  • Anything that promotes the defilements growth is not a job worth while and will not bring forth good fruits.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Of course Shakyamuni spoke of livelihoods that were to be avoided! But I was taught not to point the finger of blame outward at other people but only inward. The Noble Eightfold Path is a List of 8 Right Indicators, and to turn the screw, as it were, is to falsify the radical integrity of the teaching, IMO. That is because the teaching is addressed to the individual aspirant and is not a categorical imperative, again IMO.
    "The Lord Buddha never did spell out Wrong Livelihood in the Eightfold Path," I should have said to make my point clearer. "No, it was just Right Livelihood. I think the purport of that is we need to address this issue conscientiously within ourselves, and not to be judgmental but rather expanding towards what is more beneficial to all. The judgmental is not forward thinking at all and isolates, whereas the expansive light-seeker is poised towards future beneficent growth."
    vinlyn
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Aha, I see what you mean now. Good point.
  • This thread made me crack a smile.

I work in the television industry as an audio mixer (I mix the final finished sound tracks for shows of a certain family of cable networks you've probably heard of) and I have thought about the "right livelihood" question. While I HAVE worked on some programming with good science-content, the day I'm assigned to work on an episode of "Honey Boo-Boo" ( I just let THAT cat out of the bag, didn't I?) is the day I will re-visit that question of right-livelihood.
  • ^ Awwww, I like Honey Boo Boo :D .... in some weird twisted sorta way, I see HBB as a quick, random snapshot of one segment of our society- for good or bad.
    And honestly, Alana makes me laugh sometimes! She's just a weird, funny little KID, in a weird reality show situation...
    nenkohai
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I am thinking of going in for Human Trafficking. Small outlay. Good returns apparently.
    MaryAnneshanyin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Citta said:

I am thinking of going in for Human Trafficking. Small outlay. Good returns apparently.

People smuggling? One mans criminal is another's hero!

• In my mind, the only jobs that are almost objectively immoral are drug dealer and hitman. Why? Because these are paths that only cause harm to others, and I find it very difficult to believe that someone was so desperate for a job all they could do was be a hired gun or push dope...

My father has dealt off and on throughout the years. Particularly during times when he was out of a job. We lived in a mostly rural, economically depressed area, so jobs could be hard to come by. Sure he always went down to the laborer's union hall to see what jobs were around. Sometimes he even got one there. But those jobs were usually temporary. So when he wasn't employed he sold weed. He didn't stand around on street corners selling to any passerby. He sold to knowing, consenting adults who would contact him requesting the product. Might be "wrong livelihood", but there were many times throughout my childhood where that was what put food on the table.

Not trying to argue or chide, just offering a different perspective.
    MaryAnneInvincible_summer
    @invincible_summer How are drug dealers and hitmen the only types of jobs that hurt others? Or did you mean those are the only 2 you would add to the already existing list? There are a LOT of substances that are sold that are harmful to people and animals.
    Gee Person, glad you don't judge others!
    Invincible_summer
    So what are people supposed to do? LOL and parking attendant??
    Maybe we should add parenting to the list, because that is one job it's almost impossible not to screw up another human being in one way or another.
  • If anyone says Parking Inspector, I'm going to call my crack dealing, weapon designing, car salesman mates, and track some IP addresses.
    Either that, or just be sad.

James when I was a kid we used to bring change like nickles or something and run ahead of the meter attendant rescuing offending parkers. hehe
    Bunks
    @Jeffrey we used to do that in college, and then the college police made it a crime to do it and would fine you if they caught you putting money in someone's meter. So much logic there.
  • one thing that is ironically never mentioned is that almost all of our technology that we use today has some root in the military. yes, its certainly true that our medical tech helps to save lives, but SO many advancements are derivitives of something once intended ito kill someone first. thankfully, wars eventually end, and the tech is then applied more practically to actually help humans, but not usually before it is used to kill them. Re: Global Positioning Satelites- sure, they help you to avoid getting lost, but first it.
    helped missiles from getting lost.

Right livelihood? Thats for each to decide on their own. my dad worked on GPS satelites. i work with preschoolers, maybe one of these kids that i teach will grow up to be in the military and uses GPS to drop a bomb on someone, but maybe he/ she won't.. theres only a fine line between right/wrong. very, very, very fine.

This is true. My whole college research team was funded by the military.
  • Executioner and everyone other staff member involved in an execution in a prison system.