Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation techniques to alleviate physical pain

DandelionDandelion London Veteran
I injured my back very badly at work last Saturday. I can hardly walk, and when I stand up I am hunched over. However, I have been thoroughly enjoying spending time off work with my cats, catching up on sleep and rest, and pinning on Pinterest (it's like crack, but for Buddhists lol ~ if my humour isn't to your taste I will blame the strong painkillers I have been prescribed that are making my head go woo wooo :p )
It does make meditating a bit difficult though. So, are there any mediation techniques that are specific for alleviating physical pain that you have tried, and found to work well? I can't sit upright in lotus position, lying down is best for now. The pain killers help, but I would like to try and find a good meditation also for my current situation.

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I hate to sound like a cheesy "by-the-Dhamma" Buddhist or whatever, but maybe instead of seeking to alleviate the pain through meditation, use your meditation time to become more comfortable with it.

Since our aversion to pain can be quite strong, I think by embracing it somewhat (not totally clinging to it, which I don't think is really possible anyway :p ) it will counteract the aversion, bringing you closer to equanimity.

I'd just say that keep doing whatever meditation you usually do, but in the position that's not going to kill your back.

Anyways, I hope you recover quickly!
    Jeffreyfederica
  • SabbySabby Explorer
    I can relate to what invincible summer is saying. My example isn't a one time injury like yours but I have had back pain for about 5 years now, and it acts up especially bad at certain points in the day and i am extremely uncomfortable and try all different positions and avoiding the pain which just makes it worse.

It does sound funny, but when i stop trying to avoid the pain and i put as much awareness on it as possible and sit still (or in your case lie still :P) the pain tends to considerably lessen, at least it seems this way.. I sit and I focus on the feeling that before was so uncomfortable and undesirable but soon I kind of "mesh" witht he pain and it turns more into a feeling than pain if you know what i mean, and much more bearable

I hope this can help you in any way at all!

• I've got some back problems as well. Sometimes I can do sitting meditation but when I'm in pain, corpse pose works well, starting with progressive relaxation and mindful breathing.

The strategy that helps most is to tell myself to just "let it hurt". During my day I often push past or try to ignore the pain in order to get things done. It is a relief and almost a pleasure of sorts to be able to just feel the pain without judging or fighting it.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Thank you @elenagreene @Sabby @invincible_summer. Sorry to hear that sabby and elenagreen you have also got back problems.. what a nightmare, backs are such funny things and I get the impression, difficult to treat. Corpse pose is actually fairly comfortable.. I am getting extremely well acquainted with my bed and the electric blanket this week lol..

I know it's not 'standard'.. but I tend to meditate to fall asleep, it works enormously well, as prior to this I had insomnia for 4 years. Basically, I need to open up my meditation sessions so that they don't include having the result of drifting off :p I did try earlier this evening, but I just fell asleep again!

I will try and find a position that is not too painful, nor conducive to sleep as maybe that will help. *runs off and searches for cushions and blankets for padding to prop myself up*
  • Stretch your muscles. Heating Pads help to alleviate pain great alternative to painkillers too. Make sure your posture is straight.

Live with the pain not against it. No need rushing back to work wait till it's healed then return. Try kriya yoga it helps keep the mind present. The kundalini mantras may help vibrate and relax the muscles in your back.
    Thank you @blu3ree I will check out the kriya yoga.. I have not heard of that before. I tried heated pads but it gets too expensive for me (I am totally broke right now) to buy a load of them to last me the week.. which is why I keep going to lie down on the electric blanket! But you are right, heating the muscles does help. Work is something else I am worried about. I can't really afford to have had this week off work, but I really don't have a choice as my job, in a bakery, means a lot of lifting, carrying and continuous standing up, and currently I can only stand up for a maximum of about a minute before I start going "AAARRRGGGHHH" lol
    Not a great way to greet customers "Hello, what can I AAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH get you today madam?" :rarr:
    I will get statutory sick pay, but it's not as much as I would usually earn (although I am grateful, it is better than nothing), so I do need to be back to better health soon. Otherwise I will end up in a pickle.
  • Dandelion said:

I injured my back very badly at work last Saturday. I can hardly walk, and when I stand up I am hunched over. However, I have been thoroughly enjoying spending time off work with my cats, catching up on sleep and rest, and pinning on Pinterest (it's like crack, but for Buddhists lol ~ if my humour isn't to your taste I will blame the strong painkillers I have been prescribed that are making my head go woo wooo :p )
    It does make meditating a bit difficult though. So, are there any mediation techniques that are specific for alleviating physical pain that you have tried, and found to work well? I can't sit upright in lotus position, lying down is best for now. The pain killers help, but I would like to try and find a good meditation also for my current situation.

I haven't heard of meditation that alleviates pain; in fact, meditation is the one that generates pain and we are to note the pain each time it arises. The main aim of meditation is more to cultivate the mind.
  • @Dandelion- hoping you are on the mend.
    Dandelion

@Dandelion- hoping you are on the mend.

Thank you! I kind of am. The lower left part of my back which got injured feels quite a bit better, but I have been over compensating for it, so now the lower right part of my back is giving me hell. But, this pain feels a bit different, it eases when moving which I take to be a good sign. So, tomorrow, I am going to go for a walk, I haven't left my flat in almost a week..and will do some walking meditation as well.
    Best wishes to you all!
    x
    footiam said:

Dandelion said:

I haven't heard of meditation that alleviates pain; in fact, meditation is the one that generates pain and we are to note the pain each time it arises. The main aim of meditation is more to cultivate the mind.
    Yeah.. maybe I am expecting too much. The general consensus seems to be pretty much as you have all said.. approaching the pain in an 'acceptance' sort of way. Brain/mind strengthening.