Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Desire & Such

I have been doing a fair bit of reading lately (Buddhist related), and I clearly see the connections between how phenomena arise from causes, these causes give rise to attachment via us attaching desires to them in some way, it could be wanting a sensual pleasure, to become something status or to not want to be something.

Now this is my question, the book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu I am reading claims that once a person has totally lost desire to anything, be it a new motorbike, a nice cake, he even speaks of children being a burden and a responsibility, becoming something we want them to become, thus attachment, but he claims that only when one has lost total desire for anything only then can somebody go about life without ignorance. So how does one find a middle way and still want to have food, a new bike and kids, but yet have no desire and attachment related to these things? Can you members of NewBuddhist who have children claim that you have no attachment to your children?

Comments

• Excellent, excellent question.

Give this article a read, it answered that question for me.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/pushinglimits.html

ThailandTomlobster
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Would this author be speaking from a "pro-ordination" point of view? By that I mean, one of those Buddhists who sort of have the line of thought that goes "If everyone just gave up everything and ordained, lots of problems would be solved."

Anyways, I think attachment is when we cease to accept change in the things around us - refusing to accept that our bike is broken beyond repair, that our food isn't as good as we want it to be, that our loved one isn't acting the way they are "supposed to be." If we can live with the bike, kids, nice food, but accept when they are different than we expect, I think that's a good "middle path" for a layperson.
    Toshchelablack_teaPatr
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited March 2013
    desire is neither good nor bad in itself, attachment is unskillful. i love my daughter and i am attached to her well-being.
    nenkohai
  • Yes. It makes little sense to desire to have no desires.
    chela
  • SabbySabby Explorer
    chela said:

I can speak for the point on children. When one gives up the idea that children are mere objects to control, one becomes very happy with being with children. If you have kids and fall into the trap that you are the parent and you must control everything, you will be quite miserable (and so will your children). Further, if you can step back from your children, and see that your children are actually your teachers, you will be delighted. This development came to me through reading by some experts in the field of childcare and development, prior to my Buddhist studies. Now that I am a practicing Buddhist, I can see that this experience of being with children is just another Dharma door. (I also have experience with entrusting the "wrong" experts, who led me into the control trap. My poor older kids.)

When you read this, please know that I don't mean that you should just let your children run amuck. But caring for children is a not a one-way endeavor. Both the caregiver and the child are teachers. Know when to enforce something (like a safety rule) and know when to allow the child to make his/her own rules. Provide guidance, but let the guidance be based on what the child is telling you he/she needs from you. The Middle Way.

This is great
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I have three grown children. I am still attached to them in the sense that no matter how old they are/get, I will always care about them, worry about them (to a point!) and be there for them in whatever way I can be helpful.
    But, at the same time, they are adults, they think for themselves, I can give my opinions (when asked for them) I can listen when they need me to listen, but they are at the oars of their own boat, so to speak.

When they were young children and adolescents, I was a fairly liberal, but not an overly permissive parent. I grew up with a pretty hot-tempered, rigid and stingy father; who resented his children for the financial burdens and messy, needy humans they were. I didn't want to be the same to my kids...

However, I made a very conscious decision not to be one of those mothers who literally devoted their every waking minute of every single day to their children's wants and comforts. When I see the so-called "helicopter parent" that is becoming more and more common in the last decade or so... I cringe.
    I find that kind of mother (or father) somewhat sad, actually. Imagine their suffering when it's 'empty nest time'... if that ever happens! And think of those wholly dependent and needy kids as adults- oy!

Added: So, I believe there is skillful attachment (when it comes to children and even spouses and other family relationships) and unskillful attachment. Up to the individual (parent) to be aware enough to examine and adjust accordingly.

SabbyInvincible_summernenkohai
  • Florian said:

Yes. It makes little sense to desire to have no desires.

He goes to explain how having no desires and desiring to become something is just as negative.
    Like Ajahn Chah said if you want liberation you really should not strive or want it at all.
    Sabbylobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    You most certainly can have children and not become attached to the idea of controlling who they become. Sadly, it seems too often to be the case where someone isn't sure where to go, is unhappy with their life, so gets married and then has children as "natural next steps" in their life progression. Then they look at their kids and wonder how on earth they go to this point and just call their children along like dogs. In many cases they treat their dogs better than their kids even. Just a long string of looking for happiness in the wrong places, and sadly having children and spouses looking for them to fill that gap and constantly being disappointed that they do not bring the happiness they seek.

When you find your happiness within yourself and bring that to the table, the results are much better. We aren't here as parents to form our children into mini-mes, making them what we think is an acceptable human being. We are only there to guide them to recognizing their potential, their ability to create their own happiness. You can do this without controlling them, without attachment to who or what they will become. But much of the parents attachment to a preferable outcome comes from fear of judgement of others, fear of looking like a bad parent.

If you are open to your children being as much your teacher as you are theirs, things go much more smoothly. Sometimes, i think having kids is the only way to learn some lessons. My kids are all very stubborn and would not allow me to control them even if I wanted to, lol. They are who they are, and as their parent it has been up to me to help them figure that out and guide them to make decisions that are right for them. Sometimes, those decisions are not the ones I would have made for myself, or would make for them. But almost all the time, it is the right decision for them. I trust them to make decisions for themselves (that are age appropriate of course and that will not bring true harm to them or others) and they do quite well. Because of their guidance and trust in my and themselves, they rarely make really bad decisions. They make mistakes of course, we all do. But they have a good compass that they have developed themselves because it is inherent in us all as long as it isn't shut down by someone who holds the same compass a different way.
    chelaMaryAnneThailandTom
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I have been doing a fair bit of reading lately (Buddhist related), and I clearly see the connections between how phenomena arise from causes, these causes give rise to attachment via us attaching desires to them in some way, it could be wanting a sensual pleasure, to become something status or to not want to be something.

Now this is my question, the book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu I am reading claims that once a person has totally lost desire to anything, be it a new motorbike, a nice cake, he even speaks of children being a burden and a responsibility, becoming something we want them to become, thus attachment, but he claims that only when one has lost total desire for anything only then can somebody go about life without ignorance. So how does one find a middle way and still want to have food, a new bike and kids, but yet have no desire and attachment related to these things? Can you members of NewBuddhist who have children claim that you have no attachment to your children?

Last night I was watching an old movie called "Separate Tables". It was an ensemble cast, and one of the subplots was of a mother who was over-protective of and very controlling of her adult daughter, and the daughter accepted it to the point she had become a totally sheltered person. I would say that was an example of attachment to children. As opposed to parents who are helpful to children when that help is appropriate.

• chelachela Veteran
    @MaryAnne I like what you said about "skillful attachment"-- great term. When I see a helicopter parent (and believe me, they stick out like a sore thumb when you work in freshman orientation at a university), I see a controller. These people are attached in a very unskillful way, and they sometimes do raise a child to be co-dependent, but from my experience, what I most often saw was a young adult who was trying desperately to get out of the grips of mom or dad (usually mom).

I do think it's also important to consider the fact that all children are individuals and you can't always apply a blanket pedagogy across the board. But a skillful attachment allows for variations and changes as the child matures. Parenting /child care is definitely not a stagnant occupation.
    MaryAnne
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Its a koan kinda thinking construction.
    Creating energy, prana, chi, ki
    Making you permanently dualistic in your thinking processes.

Somewhere over that rainbow is....enlightenment (?)

• It should be kept in mind that the Buddha spoke of two kinds of desire: one unwholesome and the other wholesome. The wholesome type is called chanda, and it means a healthy desire for shelter, food, medicine, clothing, and community such as family. Nirvana is more the extinction of greed, per se, then all desire whatsoever. One still "desires" to take care of the body for the sake of living "the holy life'', for instance.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Two points. The first is that context is key, so it'd be helpful to have reference, either a link if it's from an online source or the typed-out passage if it's from a hard copy.

The second is that people tend to conflate desire (chanda) and craving (tahna), and this is partially the fault of translators, but desire and craving are actually two different but closely related aspects of our psychology. Desire is a neutral term, and one generally has to have the desire to achieve a goal in order to achieve it, even nibbana (SN 51.15); whereas the Pali word for craving, tahna (literally 'thirst'), is something that's directly tied to suffering.

The second noble truth states that the origination of suffering is "the craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming" (SN 56.11). As Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains in Wings to Awakening:
    Craving for sensuality, here, means the desire for sensual objects. Craving for becoming means the desire for the formation of states or realms of being that are not currently happening, while craving for non-becoming means the desire for the destruction or halting of any that are. "Passion and delight," here, is apparently a synonym for the "desire and passion" for the five aggregates that constitutes clinging/sustenance [III/H/ii].
    Desire, on the other hand, can be skillful (kusala) or unskillful (akusala) depending on the context. The desire for happiness, especially long-term welfare and happiness, is actually an important part of the Buddhist path. Moreover, desire is listed as one of the four bases of power (iddhipada), which themselves are included in the seven sets of qualities that lead to the end of suffering (MN 103). The four qualities listed in the bases of power are desire, persistence, intent, and discrimination. In Wings to Awakening, Thanissaro Bhikkhu points to this passage:
    There is the case where a monk develops the base of power endowed with concentration founded on desire & the fabrications of exertion, thinking, 'This desire of mine will be neither overly sluggish nor overly active, neither inwardly restricted nor outwardly scattered.' (Similarly with concentration founded on persistence, intent, and discrimination.)
    He goes on to explain that, "This passage shows that the problem lies not in the desire, effort, intent or discrimination, but in the fact that these qualities can be unskillfully applied or improperly tuned to their task."

If we take a look at the exchange between Ananda and the brahmin Unnabha in SN 51.15, for example, we can see that the attainment of the goal is indeed achieved through desire, even though paradoxically, the goal is said to be the abandoning of desire. That's because at the end of the path desire, as well as the other three bases of power, subside on their own. As Ananda explains at the end of SN 51.15:
    He earlier had the desire for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding desire subsided. He earlier had aroused energy for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding energy subsided. He earlier had made up his mind to attain arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding resolution subsided. He earlier had made an investigation for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding investigation subsided. (Bodhi)
    So, essentially, desire can be beneficial in certain contexts, and you shouldn't worry too much about the desire to do skillful things. The real trick is learning to discern which desires are actually skillful (MN 61). And when it comes to the enlightened mind, I'm sure that having no clinging/attachment (upadana) doesn't mean also having no loving-kindness or compassion for those around us.
    ThailandTomFlorianNirvanakarmablues
  • Would this author be speaking from a "pro-ordination" point of view? By that I mean, one of those Buddhists who sort of have the line of thought that goes "If everyone just gave up everything and ordained, lots of problems would be solved."

Anyways, I think attachment is when we cease to accept change in the things around us - refusing to accept that our bike is broken beyond repair, that our food isn't as good as we want it to be, that our loved one isn't acting the way they are "supposed to be." If we can live with the bike, kids, nice food, but accept when they are different than we expect, I think that's a good "middle path" for a layperson.

I think I remember somebody here saying something about this author, but I really like him as he seems to be a no nonsense kind of teacher. You could think of it has a hardcore Buddhist. I share similar ideologies when it comes to Buddhism as he does, I would like to be in robes one day soon and he seems to think that to actually penetrate through fully to the core of Buddhism and to the fruit at the end of the path, you should give up ALL desires, not have children etc. In his book he even said pretty much word for work to what I have said many times with regards to having children.
    If anybody else knows anything about this guy or has n opinion, please put it forward.

Also, thank you for the help and posts so far, it is helping me somewhat :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I personally wouldn't classify him as 'pro-ordination' per se, e.g., see his tract, "Nibbana For Everyone."
  • Jason said:

I personally wouldn't classify him as 'pro-ordination' per se, e.g., see his tract, "Nibbana For Everyone."

From what I have read (and we at the end of the day can only rely 100% on our experiences), get the impression he is quite oldskool and like to keep going back to what the Buddha actually taught, no nonsense in between. I will have a look at the link, thanks Jazon /_\
  • PatrPatr Veteran

Very good comments on this thread already.
    If someone has totally lost desire, then its time for ordination, which means leaving everything behind including family, possessions etc.

As is often said in Chinese Mahayana since the very beginning, the six roots ( of desire) must be extinguished, before one becomes a Bhikku, otherwise problems will for sure crop up.

In between, progress would mean lessening our desires and hence attachments.
    Emotional attachments, wanting the new gadget, car, desire for the gorgeous opp sex, the hurt of losing something... All these desires and the hurt caused by not getting the object of desire would be very much lessened if there is progress along the path.

Until the day arrives... but not before.
    ThailandTomriverflow
  • Thank you very much @Patr this is pretty much what I have been thinking but have not worded it correctly. I have read about the 6 roots, but yes when one has literally lost all desire, even for children and things of that nature it seems it is time to get into some robes.

How do you want help someone in need though, I guess you can want do that without desire, but you have the desire of wanting them to get well. Ah but you should know the importance of impermanence. Sorry I kind of asked questions that I answered as I went along :lol:
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    @ThailandTom,

Great, at last someone who understands what Im on about, haha.

If someone came to you for help, and you abandon them, then if remorse/regret comes up, then you have developed compassion. One of the treasures of the Dharma.
    nenkohai
  • Patr said:

@ThailandTom,

Great, at last someone who understands what Im on about, haha.

If someone came to you for help, and you abandon them, then if remorse/regret comes up, then you have developed compassion. One of the treasures of the Dharma.

Things like this I have issues with, compassion for others I have in abundance, letting things go, not having many material things or caring for them, again I have no phone lol. But compassion for myself and lack of right effort is where I fall down.
  • I have been doing a fair bit of reading lately (Buddhist related), and I clearly see the connections between how phenomena arise from causes, these causes give rise to attachment via us attaching desires to them in some way, it could be wanting a sensual pleasure, to become something status or to not want to be something.

I don't really understand why one has to lose every desire to eradicate ignorance. Maybe, that's more for bhikkhus and bhikkunis who has made a pledge to give up the mundane life but then we are laypeople. As a normal layperson, I suppose I have not come to that level to understand why we have to give up all desire at all. Desire to do good should be all right, I suppose; It is only a problem when we are too attached to the idea of doing good that we neglect the other important aspect of our personal life, like keeping our mind sane at not being to help everybody. Maybe, as layperson we just have to meditate as we live - I would like to believe that we can meditate without sitting in the lotus posture. Instead of taking note of our breathing or the rising and falling of our stomachs, take note as our lives unfold and see our desires change each moment. Make that our meditation object. If only we don't get attached to the desires we our experiencing- which to me means, being able to accept whatever the outcome in our life, despite not having our desires fulfilled. Que Sera Sera!
  • Awakening said:

It should be kept in mind that the Buddha spoke of two kinds of desire: one unwholesome and the other wholesome. The wholesome type is called chanda, and it means a healthy desire for shelter, food, medicine, clothing, and community such as family. Nirvana is more the extinction of greed, per se, then all desire whatsoever. One still "desires" to take care of the body for the sake of living "the holy life'', for instance.

the chanda in Buddha doctrinal sometime wholesome (Iddhipada) sometime the unwholesome (chanda-raga). the samma sankappa path factor right intention is always the wholesome desire. Tan Buddhatat Bhikku in Thailand is teaching like this

• footiam said:

I don't really understand why one has to lose every desire to eradicate ignorance. Maybe, that's more for bhikkhus and bhikkunis who has made a pledge to give up the mundane life but then we are laypeople. As a normal layperson, I suppose I have not come to that level to understand why we have to give up all desire at all. Desire to do good should be all right, I suppose; It is only a problem when we are too attached to the idea of doing good that we neglect the other important aspect of our personal life, like keeping our mind sane at not being to help everybody. Maybe, as layperson we just have to meditate as we live - I would like to believe that we can meditate without sitting in the lotus posture. Instead of taking note of our breathing or the rising and falling of our stomachs, take note as our lives unfold and see our desires change each moment. Make that our meditation object. If only we don't get attached to the desires we our experiencing- which to me means, being able to accept whatever the outcome in our life, despite not having our desires fulfilled. Que Sera Sera!
    'Anyone can observe that wherever there is desire, there is distress too; and when we are forced to act on a desire, we are bound to suffer again in accordance with the action. Having got the result, we are unable to put an end to our desire, so we carry right on desiring. The reason we are obliged to continue experiencing distress is that we are not yet free from desire, but are still slaves to it. Thus it can be said that an evil man does evil because he desires to do evil, and experiences the kind of suffering appropriate to the nature of an evil man; and that a good man desires to do good, and so is bound to experience another kind of suffering, a kind appropriate to the nature of a good man. But don't understand this as teaching us to give up doing good. It is simply teaching us to realise that there exist degrees of suffering so fine that the average man cannot detect them. We have to act on the Buddha's advise: if we are to break free from suffering completely, simply doing good is not sufficient. It is necessary to do things beyond and above the doing of good, things that serve to free the mind from the condition of serfdom and slavery to desire of any kind. '