Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Moderation

I've been reading this website for some time now, but came across this article last night. I read it from a Buddhist perspective and found it helpful. Moderation is important in our lives and we can have the things we enjoy without having to abstain from everything. It's ok to enjoy life and pleasurable things, just do it in moderation.

artofmanliness.com/2008/04/27/the-virtuous-life-moderation/

MaryAnneThailandTomTosh

Comments

• I have found that moderation seems to be key in a lot of things as a laymen, the middle way could be seen as the same thing. However, that is not to say I am any good at keeping to that notion :banghead:
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    For some things, I'm no good at moderating; abstinence is a must. Alcohol mainly. Many times in the past I've only went to a bar with the intention of having two drinks, but then thought, "Oh, I'll have another...", and the next thing I know I'm regaining consciousness somewhere I shouldn't (in another country once).

Chocolate can be the same for me (someone once told me that chemically, sugar and alcohol are very similar); I know I can't just eat a little - once I start I have to finish what's there. So I tend to just not take the first piece and I'm okay. Pringle crisps is another area where their's no middle way. Once I pop, I just can't stop.

Anyway, I thought this was going to be a whine about Fede. :D
    federicaSabby
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Me too..... ;)
    ToshBarra
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Instead its a wine about Fede...cheers.
  • Everything in moderation, including moderation ;)
    Sabbyriverflow
  • SabbySabby Explorer
    Jason_PDK said:

Everything in moderation, including moderation ;)

:scratch: ... :confused: ... :buck:
    lobsterriverflow
  • Seems to me abstaining from something you are addicted to IS practicing moderation.
  • Pringle crisps is another area where their's no middle way.
    How do they do it?
    I believe they are created by the daughters of mara
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_(demon)

I believe in extremism, not moderation.
    Extreme and unmoderated metta. All the kindness one can muster.
    . . . forgive me Buddha I have strayed from the Middle Way . . .
    :D
    Tosh
  • You can have everything in moderation. problem is i can't find it anywhere on the map.

Seriously i agree and the little treats you do have taste so much nicer when you have them in moderation.
    riverflow
  • The question is when is moderate moderate.