Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do we get reborn?

Ajahn brahm was asked this recently.
I would like to hear your opinions before revealing brahm's answer.

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Why do we get reborn?
    because i think we want to get born - i think it is because of our desire to get something either in material world like pleasure, status, gain etc - or want to get something in spiritual world like nimitta, jhanas, enlightenment etc.
    SabreTheEccentric
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    To give us the opportunity to reach our full potential--Buddhahood. And because others need us, they need our compassion. Suffering sentient beings need more realized beings to walk among them and help bring liberation to all.
  • Clinging to existence. The whole thrust of living beings is to continue to exist (bhavatanha)- a hopeless task in the face of impermanence.
    TheEccentric
  • dear how,
    this is a sincere question, i dont want to challenge or
    argue with your position.
    i am just curious what you tell yourself
    regarding certain traits or quality you have
    which is due to your past karma (previuos life)
    eg. if i am a savant, and i can memorise an encyclopedia
    but i cant live on my own due to my disablity.
    i will tell myself that well, i must have done sth in
    the past to have such awesome memory n such a disability.

how do you explain it to yourself?

disclaimer; if anyone is offended by this question,
    i am sorry.

how said:

WHY DO WE GET REBORN...IMHO This question makes unsupportable suppositions.

There is rebirth because death alone doesn't slow the inertia of unresolved karma.
    But....
    To say We get to be reborn is to incorrectly anthropomorphism that a cohesive conglomeration continues on from one life to the next.
    The karmic inheritance that gifts a new life with it's inertia is a selection from many karmic streams so that no intrinsic karmic stream remains the same from one life to the next..
    A new life inherits aspects of previous karmic inertia but not the previous identity.

Each new life identity can only add to it, maintain it or disolve it according to their capacity to address what fostered it.
    So..
    There is rebirth to bring entropy to Karma and support one of the Buddhist Laws of Existence but there is no real "we" to accompany it.

Sorry Tibetans...It's just my Zen perspective>

• again, i am making assumptions which you
    may disagree with, but i hope you will still give me a sincere
    answer. ty.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Because we don't want to die.
    Cinorjermusic
  • Why do we get reborn?

My Zen answer: "The oak tree in the front yard."

But since I'm not in a Zazen hall, I go with both @how and @Sabre 's answer.

Toshhow
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    hermitwin said:

Hi @Hermitwin, this is wrong view. Don't think like that, or you risk falling into fatalism.
    The Buddha said that not everything that happens in our lives is because of karma. Karma contributes, but it is only one of a number of things that influence us.
    Sabreriverflowmfranzdorf
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Why do we get reborn?
    Alternatively, why not?

An Internet pal of mine, a Tibetan-leaning fellow, used to piss people off by observing, "There are no answers to 'why' questions."

I can pretend I don't agree with him, but the fact is that I do.
    riverflowchelaJeffrey
  • thanks james, dont worry, i am not fatalistic.
    i understand how karma works.
    that is why everyday i try to perform skillful actions
    to accumulate good karma.

hermitwin said:

Hi @Hermitwin, this is wrong view. Don't think like that, or you risk falling into fatalism.
    The Buddha said that not everything that happens in our lives is because of karma. Karma contributes, but it is only one of a number of things that influence us.
    BhanteLucky
  • btw james, how do you explain your good karma?
    if you are the one going to join ajahn brahm.
  • chelachela Veteran
    My understanding is that "we" cling and "we" collect karma, and then birth/rebirth happens. This happens on both the micro (what we think of as personal/events happening in the mind) and the macro (rebirth over longer periods of time) levels.

I recently read Thanissaro Bhikkhu's "The Truth of Rebirth" which really helped me sort things out, though I must admit that I have a long way to go in my understanding. What I found particularly insightful is the author's argument that rebirth is actually at the core of the Buddha's teachings, and to throw it out (as Westerner's often tend to want to do) is cutting away a vital body of the teachings.
    riverflowJeffrey
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    hermitwin said:

btw james, how do you explain your good karma?

Hello Hermitwin, yes, that's me. 5 more weeks!

To be honest, I don't know how to explain it. I don't know why we get reborn either, it is an interesting question, thank-you for asking it.
    I am trying to think of a good answer... hmm...
    My first guess (just a guess) is because there is still clinging and aversion and some view of "self", and that leaves some leftovers after we die. And those leftover bits form the start of a new being. Or something, lol!
    Whereas a fully enlightened being has an exact balance of no clinging or aversion, and so at death there is nothing left to hangover into, or trigger, another life.
    But I just pulled that out of the air...

I'll be interested to hear what Ajahn Brahm says about it when you tell us.
    With metta
    James
  • Why are we reborn?

My immediate answer is; Are we sure we are?
    BhanteLuckystavros388
  • And of course, there is a school of Buddhism that says before you can ask "Why" you have to answer, "What gets reborn?" If you can't answer that, then the why cannot be answered either.
    riverflow
  • Same reason we breathe air.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    In the long run, the whys don't matter. Something either is, or is not. Why it is or is not doesn't matter and we drive ourselves crazy trying to answer the whys. I'm fine without knowing why.
    Why do I think we are reborn? I guess because for us to be guides to other people, we need to fully develop our 4 Immeasurable qualities and for most people it takes more than what might amount to as 5 minutes, 2 years, 20 years, and so on to accomplish that. It doesn't make any sense to me that to experience all human life has to offer, that some beings only get a few seconds and then poof, they are done with their chance a human life.
    I honestly don't like the idea of becoming a Buddha to exit Samsara as a personal goal, because what is the point of all of that work and all of that wisdom gained at the highest level of the path only to exit and leave behind everyone else who is still suffering/ the Bodhisattva path is more appealing to me for that reason. My understanding is that we don't get a choice, but I'm not sure I believe that.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited April 2013
    how said:

[…]
    The karmic inheritance that gifts a new life with it's inertia is a selection from many karmic streams so that no intrinsic karmic stream remains the same from one life to the next..
    A new life inherits aspects of previous karmic inertia but not the previous identity.

Each new life identity can only add to it, maintain it or disolve it according to their capacity to address what fostered it.
    So..
    There is rebirth to bring entropy to Karma and support one of the Buddhist Laws of Existence but there is no real "we" to accompany it. […]

This is so spooky-close to the way I interpret rebirth that I wanted to re-quote it and say thanx. For me, well said!
    riverflowmfranzdorf
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Why do we choose to be what we are in any given life?
  • chelachela Veteran
    I was trying to edit my post above, but I had to step away, and then time ran out. Here is what I wanted to add:

According to this text (The Truth of Rebirth), the Buddha very often drew parallels between what is happening on the micro level and what happens on the macro level. You can actually see that in most of the teachings, I'd say. I think of it as a sort of common sense-- kind of a "if this is this, then that is that." So you see a relationship between the micro world happenings and the macro world happenings, and that makes the understanding of rebirth easier. I also think that there is a fair amount of faith held, especially as a new Buddhist and a Westerner; but as understanding strengthens, less faith is actually needed. But that is just all my take on the topic.
    robotJeffrey
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2013
    In Theravada, the 'why' is actually more of a 'how' since it's a type of process philosophy, where phenomena are best understood in terms of processes rather than things or substances, and that change — whether physical, organic, or psychological — "is the pervasive and predominant feature of the real." The Theravadin viewpoint is that rebirth is a conditional process; and if there are sufficient conditions present, those conditions with inevitably result in future births (SN 12.35). Along with consciousness, craving (tahna) plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births.

In explaining how craving can result in future births, the Buddha uses a simile in which he compare the sustenance of a flame to that of a being at the time of death. Essentially, a flame burns in dependence on its fuel, and that fuel sustains it. When a flame burns in dependence on wood, for example, the wood sustains that flame. However, when a flame is swept up and carried away by the wind, the fuel of wind sustains that flame until it lands upon a new source of fuel. In the same way, a being at the time of death has the fuel of craving as its sustenance (SN 44.9). Hence, the Buddha states, "Wherever there is a basis for consciousness, there is support for the establishing of consciousness. When consciousness is established and has come to growth, there is the production of renewed existence" (SN 12.38).

On the micro level, this process details how we're continually being born into particularly identities and mental states surrounding the objects of our craving and clinging, the things our minds feed on. On the macro level, it details how we're continually being born into a new existence.
    riverflowBhanteLuckyJeffreyJohnG
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Sabre said:

Because we don't want to die.

Or better: Because we are not ready to die.

Because people that may think they want to die, also aren't really ready. Only enlightened beings are ready. And because they are, they won't be reborn.
    riverflowhowpegembara
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2013
    dear how,

i am sorry.

In Zen, there is little significance placed of a traits origin. Whether a trait had origins preceding this life or was newly initiated during this life, both are phenomena to be meditatively observed to see how we are feeding them in this moment.

In terms of past lives, these are simply the manifestation of past spiritual mistakes that match our own, and are in need of resolution. Whether this is actually part of our own karmic inheritence or is just the attraction of other like formed karmic
    inertia, they are viseral connections to a shared delusion and of the suffering involved in propagating them.
    riverflowJohnG
  • jlljll Veteran
    "the further some thing is from our personal reality,
    the easier it is to be philosophical..."
    cant remember whose quote this is.
    how said:

dear how,

i am sorry.

In Zen, there is little significance placed of a traits origin. Whether a trait had origins preceding this life or was newly initiated during this life, both are phenomena to be meditatively observed to see how we are feeding them in this moment.

In terms of past lives, these are simply the manifestation of past spiritual mistakes that match our own, and are in need of resolution. Whether this is actually part of our own karmic inheritence or is just the attraction of other like formed karmic
    inertia, they are viseral connections to a shared delusion and of the suffering involved in propagating them.

• jlljll Veteran
    maybe you n brahm were classmates in a previous life.

that karma is imponderable is oft repeated here.

but we seem to forget that buddha spoke of many cases
    of specific cases of rebirth.

also, there are people today who can see previous lives,
    i believe brahm is one of them. although he is forbidden
    to talk about it. sure, doubters will say 'no evidence'.

karma is imponderable to us but not to enlightened people.

hermitwin said:

btw james, how do you explain your good karma?

Hello Hermitwin, yes, that's me. 5 more weeks!

To be honest, I don't know how to explain it. I don't know why we get reborn either, it is an interesting question, thank-you for asking it.
    I am trying to think of a good answer... hmm...
    My first guess (just a guess) is because there is still clinging and aversion and some view of "self", and that leaves some leftovers after we die. And those leftover bits form the start of a new being. Or something, lol!
    Whereas a fully enlightened being has an exact balance of no clinging or aversion, and so at death there is nothing left to hangover into, or trigger, another life.
    But I just pulled that out of the air...

I'll be interested to hear what Ajahn Brahm says about it when you tell us.
    With metta
    James
  • jlljll Veteran
    i am not sure.

are you sure we are not reborn?
    MaryAnne said:

Why are we reborn?

My immediate answer is; Are we sure we are?

• robotrobot Veteran
    For me, whether or not we are reborn is only an issue of how the belief affects my view.
    If I am going to be reborn then whether or not I have that belief will not affect the outcome.
    If I hold the belief in literal rebirth, will that belief reinforce my sense of a permanent self or relieve it?
    What is involved in maintaining that belief? What do I have to give up to set it aside?
    Is there a downside to saying I don't believe in rebirth because I don't know?
    If I say I am a believer in rebirth, what other ideas have I bought into? Will it only cause unnecessary speculation about past and future lives?
    How will belief in rebirth make attainment easier?
    I agree with @chela. If literal rebirth is understood as a consequence of realizing impermanence, then it is a useful insight.
    If literal rebirth is held as a belief, without that insight, it is mundane.
    I think I would reserve my worldly beliefs for important issues. Like the belief than increased gun control would be a good thing, or the belief that gays should marry if they wish.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Why do we get reborn? Because we are not ready to die yet. To be precise, we will never be ready to die. No being will ever want to die willingly.

"There is, O monks, an unborn, an unbecome, an unmade, an unconditioned; if, O monks, there were not here this unborn, unbecome, unmade, unconditioned, there would not here be an escape from the born, the become, the made, the conditioned. But because there is an unborn,...therefore there is an escape from the born...."

UDANA viii, 3
    The way people think is that having been born, they don't want to die. Is that correct? It's like pouring water into a glass but not wanting it to fill up. If you keep pouring the water, you can't expect it not to be full. But people think like this: they are born but don't want to die. Is that correct thinking? Consider it. If people are born but never die, will that bring happiness? If no one who comes into the world dies, things will be a lot worse. If no one ever dies, we will probably all end up eating excrement! Where would we all stay? It's like pouring water into the glass without ceasing yet still not wanting it to be full. We really ought to think things through. We are born but don't want to die. If we really don't want to die, we should realize the deathless (amatadhamma), as the Buddha taught. Do you know what amatadhamma means?

It is the deathless - though you die, if you have wisdom it is as if you don't die. Not dying, not being born. That's where things can be finished. Being born and wishing for happiness and enjoyment without dying is not the correct way at all. But that's what people want, so there is no end of suffering for them. The practitioner of Dhamma does not suffer. Well, practitioners such as ordinary monks still suffer, because they haven't yet fulfilled the path of practice. They haven't realized amatadhamma, so they still suffer. They are still subject to death.

Amatadhamma is the deathless. Born of the womb, can we avoid death? Apart from realizing that there is no real self, there is no way to avoid death. ''I'' don't die; sankhāras undergo transformation, following their nature.

Ajahn Chah http://what-buddha-taught.net/Books/Ajahn_Chah_Even_One_Word_Is_Enough.htm

• No "one" is reborn. Birth arises dependent upon becoming. There is no person being born, there is just birth.
    riverflowCinorjerJeffrey
  • All that is born has to die. Sabbe sankhara anicca.

Without birth there is no death and without death there is no "rebirth". Since each moment is fresh, nothing ever repeats. There is no re- anything ie. re-birth, re-incarnation. Only constant becomings.

Language can mislead.
    robotriverflowJeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    " We " dont .
    riverflowVastmind
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    delusion and craving
  • jlljll Veteran
    Throughout this round of existences (samsara), the amount of tears you have shed on ... voluminous; it is even more than the waters of the four oceans.
    Dhammapada.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Why are we born? :rocker:

"my old man was born to rock but he stood trying to beat the clock" ~Tom Petty
    personmfranzdorf
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2013
    jll said:

but we seem to forget that buddha spoke of many cases
    of specific cases of rebirth.

I think it's more intellectually honest to say that we have sutras which claim to say what the the Buddha said.

But none of us actually know what the Buddha said.

• This is from Buddhism Connect a teacher and student question with Lama Shenpen Hookham:
    Summary: When we ask what happens when we die, we come to the question of what a person is, and how we are somehow distinct from each other but not separate.

Student:

Some weeks ago a dear friend was dying. I went down to see her several times. Quite a bit of the time I was with her, I was just sitting by her in silence, being there with her.

Then it was time for me to go and I said goodbye. She struggled, her eyes didn't open but her hand moved towards me and she tried to speak. She said, 'Thank you for coming.'

I was suddenly pierced through with understanding that she was there, in this dying body, already waxy and cold at the peripheries, but she, the person I loved, was there, in the middle of this experience of dying, in this body. And despite all she was suffering and experiencing at that time, she was reaching out to me to communicate with me.

I wondered what would happen to the individual her when she died. We spend so much time trying to discover something universal, our Buddha nature, but I was aware at that moment that it wasn't a recognition in me of something universal in her, but a recognition of her as an individual, someone other than myself, and it was that someone other, with their personality, their ego, that I loved.

So the question: when I die, is it all of me that goes on?

Obviously not my body but how much of me, the individual? Because however much I struggle with my own ego and habits that prevent my striving to follow the Buddha's teaching, I do love all of the things that go to make up the persons who are close to me."

Lama Shenpen:

I often get asked this and I try to explain that we are each a mandala - we are not separable from any other person and yet we are distinct.

Everything is like that. Whatever you experience is completely distinct from any other experience and yet when you try to analyse what that experience is exactly - where it is, how long it lasts, whether it is inside or outside or whatever you do to try to pin it down and separate it from any other experience, you can’t do it.

In the same way we are each inseparable from anything else and yet quite distinct – isn’t that amazing? Isn’t it wonderful? Isn’t it poignant?

So what about your question? How much of us dies? Does our individualness as a person die?

It seems it is not of the nature of something that is born and dies.

It is a mandala that when fully manifest is an Awakened Buddha and when not fully manifest, is something like us or some other kind of being who thinks they are something they are not!
    Toshriverflowpegembara
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    I came here with the same fears of rebirth; why, how, what will I be? Over the course of this year I learned several things on this issue. The first, why worry of what is to be; just prepare for it. I have studied many sources since, and one that intigues me the most, is that 'we' have a choice of our next mother. So, even if one does not believe in re-birth, isn't it better to prepare and live for the next worlds so we would recognize what is to be, when we must leave this current state? To choose our next mothers wisely and unhurridly. And if there is nothing after this life, isn't it better to prepare for something that doesn't happen, then not be prepared for something that does?
    person
    hermitwin said:

@hermitwin , what's the answer? Tell tell!
    shanyin
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    @hermitwin, I second James's request!
  • NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
    Why do we get reborn?
    Because we are still carrying the three poisons (especially the SEX thinggie :))
  • NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
    I remember one of stories of the Buddhist monk Ji Gong
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ji_Gong
    (Daoji 2 February 1130–16 May 1207)

I do not remember the whole story, but part of it like this:
    He attended a wedding. Then he said that the groom is marrying his grandma.
    Because when the groom was still infant, the grandma was so worrying who will take care of him when she is gone. She died and reborn as his bride now to care for him...

• the answer is in this youtube video.
    it is towards the end during the Q and A session.
    sorry i cant remember exactly which point.

hermitwin said:

@hermitwin , what's the answer? Tell tell!