Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Took Refuge and Precepts At Monastry

FairyFellerFairyFeller Veteran
edited May 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I was privileged to take the Refuges and Precepts yesterday at a Theravada Monastry. I have to say the whole day was pretty special from a practice point of view though. Firstly the journey down there, the enforced solitude of the two hour drive gave me chance to think and helped me clear my head before I got there.

Secondly, there was some sort of ceremony to welcome three very small children aged about 1, 2 & 4. During the normal ceremony in the temple they were running around and shouting and this was very distracting when I was trying to stay calm but I actually managed to analyse my emotions and got to know myself a little better.

Thirdly, to begin with I was too nervous to approach one of the monks but once I had it was a truly life changing move. I had thought I might be seen a being silly or something but he was very welcoming. I know it didn't have to be taken at the monastry but there are no Theravada centres any closer and I wanted a formal commitment and I do actually feel better for it, I now feel I can take them at home regularly.

It is a lovely place and I can see myself accepting the invitation to attend more often.

He suggested that I learn some Pali and take the Refuges and Precepts in it next time, I had thought about learning it so I can read the Canon.

Anyway here are my two questions. Can anybody recommend a good course? Can anybody recommend an English version of the Canon?
riverflowInvincible_summerSabreVastmindMigyurkarmablues

Comments

• I can.. i did 2 videos that might help.
    Part one
    riverflowFairyFeller
  • part 2 please forgive all my annoying "Ums"
    FairyFeller
  • by the way every book here is in english
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @FairyFeller - This video may help for the actual refuges and precepts ceremony. As for learning Pali, can't really help with that, sorry.
  • @FairyFeller

Glad to hear it went so well for you.

Here's an online collection of English translations for the Pali Suttas:
    suttacentral.net/disp_division.php?collection_id=1&collection_name=Pali

If you've got a lot of time on your hands, learning Pali could be fun and once you've mastered it to a certain degree (though that will probably take quite a lot of time and effort), it may well help you with studying the Canon. But if you are normally a busy person anyways, I think you should consider allocating more time to practicing meditation rather than learning Pali. Meditation would help you understand the essence of Buddhism more than learning Pali would, I think. So you might also want to try finding some meditation classes to attend.
  • VIDEOS ABOVE
    FairyFeller