Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Music

edited July 2005 in Sanghas
Does anyone here listen to music when they meditate? I think I would like to try it. Does anyone have any good recomendations for good meditation music? Thanks so much!

Kim

Comments

• ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited June 2005
    As a beginner, I try to remove all distractions when I meditate. That way, I can focus completely on my breath, which is hard enough with this over-grown monkey mind of mine!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I sometimes listen to Dhamma talks while I sit and watch my breath. Ajahn Geoffry gives talks just for people to come to and sit. He doesn't even care if you hear what he is saying or not. As long as it isn't a distraction I think this may be helpful. Otherwise silence is the best environment for meditaion.
  • edited June 2005
    I figured silence was the best environment for meditation, but since I am so new to it, I was just curious to see if music was helpful for some people while meditating. Thanks again!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Personally, although I meditate in silence, I use music all the time to guide my Qi Gong students through their moves, and standing meditation.... We adopt the Core Posture, and visualise the Qi moving and filling the body, eliminating old stagnant energy and re-charging it with vigour, vitality and renewal... then I simply suggest they focus on the rhythm and sensation of their breathing, but just to "watch" it in a dettached way.... some folks don't want to stop.....!
  • edited July 2005
    Yogamamma,
    I often use reiki music. I can highly recommend Cho Ku Rei and Sei He Ki by Etherean Music, Inc.
    1-888-384-3732. The CD's are about 60 minutes each of three like pieces blended so that there is no interuption from one to the next. It provides a pleasant, feel-good background without distracting your thoughts or attention.
  • edited July 2005
    I can recommend "Nada Himalaya" by Deuter. It's a CD of Tibetan singing bowls.
    I don't tend to use it so much now for meditation but it's nice to have playing in the background when pottering about the house!
  • edited July 2005
    I haven't really listened to music, but I begin with a singing bowl and let the resonance dissipitate throughout my meditation.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Classic Rock. :bigclap: Really.
  • edited July 2005
    unfunction wrote:
    I haven't really listened to music, but I begin with a singing bowl and let the resonance dissipitate throughout my meditation.

I love singing bowls! I tried to buy my hubby one for Solstice, but BOTH sellers I ordered from failed to come through. Just curious, do you use a glass or metal bowl? I like the glass bowls but they are soooo expensive.
  • edited July 2005
    I have to agree with you that the glass bowls sound great, however mine is metal. It makes a great sound though. It sounds like my bell a little, but still different enough to enjoy. :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    If you like Indian music - that doesn't have any words to think about or anything - there is always Ravi Shankar - his daugher Anoushka (and Nora Jones too!) and a tabla virtuoso... Zakir Hussain

Michael
This discussion has been closed.