Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Senate Approves Internet Sales Tax Proposal!!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
This is good and bad? Good for the Retail Stores who are struggling, bad for the people who are looking for a deal. Does it takeaway jobs or provide jobs? I do not know, but this bill is definitely important for our future.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/06/pf/taxes/internet-sales-tax-vote/index.html

Comments

• So much more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to be made....

I have no problem with taxes per se, but I do have a problem with where those tax dollars go disproportionately in the US:

http://www.warresisters.org/pages/piechart.htm

"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
    DaltheJigsawBhanteLucky
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I am amused that the USA, after pushing for free trade and globalized capitalism for so many decades, is now feeling the negative effects of that very thing, and is scrambling to plug the holes in their sinking ship.
    Besides, the bill is toothless. Why buy from the Walmart website and get taxed, when you can buy from independent retailers on Google Shopping, and get it shipped from some warehouse in China tax-free.
    Impossible to enforce.
    riverflow
  • Meh. It was bound to happen. Luckily, there are few things I want and/or need. Although... I would be willing to pay any amount of tax for this gem:

http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336?SubscriptionId=14H876SFAKFS0EHBYQ02&tag=hubpages-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=0870334336

(Read the product reviews... invaluable insights.)
  • Anyone actually surprised?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Anyone actually surprised?

Quite, not that they passed this particular bill but that they passed any bill of substance at all. :grumble:
    DaltheJigsawericcris10senVastmind
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Besides, the bill is toothless. Why buy from the Walmart website and get taxed, when you can buy from independent retailers on Google Shopping, and get it shipped from some warehouse in China tax-free.
    Impossible to enforce.

@jamesthegiant. hey Big Man

I am not sure you are right about it being unenforcable. Since the USA has ocean borders, the goods might be very expensive to ship in small quantities to individuals buyers here in the US. I could not see how a buyer could order something from China and it arrive promptly having been shipped cheaply and quickly from so far away. Therefore, the tax may well be enforceable. (I could see goods manufactured in the USA being able to fly below the radar however. )
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    sndymorn said:

Since the USA has ocean borders, the goods might be very expensive to ship in small quantities to individuals buyers here in the US.I could not see how a buyer could order something from China and it arrive promptly having been shipped cheaply amd quickly from so far away.

I buy used books from the UK sometimes, (maybe for $5) and shipping all the way to Australia is sometimes as low as $2.95. For a single book, all the way from the other side of the planet! I don't understand how it can be so cheap, but it is.
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited May 2013
    It is going to interesting to watch it all,play out.
    How long does it take, generally, to get the book?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^^ I can't say how it will all work out, but when I lived in Thailand -- a third world country -- I ordered quite a few books, CDs, DVDs, computer software from the States, and rarely did one get through Thai customs without me paying tax. If Thailand can do it, the US can do it...if they want to bother.
    vinlyn said:

^^ I can't say how it will all work out, but when I lived in Thailand -- a third world country -- I ordered quite a few books, CDs, DVDs, computer software from the States, and rarely did one get through Thai customs without me paying tax. If Thailand can do it, the US can do it...if they want to bother.

Wow that's a LOT of workers checking parcels. Which means jobs I guess, which would be good for US workers. I wonder if they were to check all the parcels in the USA, would they outsource to migrant workers, or overseas labour? hehe.
    person