Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

EvE Online

So does anyone else play? I can't possibly be the only Capsuleer here right? If anyone else on here does, we should totally get together and do something, lol. For those that don't play, or don't know what the game is. EvE Online is a sandbox space MMORPG. Unlike a lot of other MMO's, this game's economy is ran almost entirely by the players. Players can own vast expanses of the Galaxy through Alliances and Coalitions made up of thousands of other players. Every aspect of the game must be played by someone, else the economy would collapse. So you have your Traders, your manufacturers, arms dealers, Tycoons, Warship pilots like me, miners, what have you. Nearly every item in the game was built by another player, or salvaged off of shipwrecks. Players and their corporations can join in joint business ventures and all sorts of things. For example, one corporation may lack the means to produce certain items, but have the means to gather the raw materials needed. They can then sell these resources to another corporation for pure profit, or, for manufactured items in a barter. It is entirely possible to play this game in a non-violent manner as well (though I cannot say that other people will be as kind) There are even groups of players dedicated to humanitarian relief. You can do practically anything you want to in this game, it is very open ended. Not to mention the graphics are stunning, the game is easy for lower end computers to run, AND you can get a 14 day trial for free (the client is free to download, too) or I could give you a 21 day buddy account if you were so inclined. Did I mention it is entirely possible to pay for game time with the in-game currency?

So come on in, join the fun.
DaltheJigsaw

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    It looks incredibly cool, from the detailed designs I've seen on Concept Ships http://conceptships.blogspot.com
    But time, time, I have no time!
  • I'd think about it, if it wasn't so damn expensive (by my standards). On top of that, I have an unfortunate tendency to unexpectedly lost interest in a game for often no reason.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @Captain_America yeah I have that same problem. But so far, that has not hit me with EvE, as the game is a lot less dependant on fetch quests and crapola like that (a la WoW, GW2, any other assortment of fantasy MMO's) the game is, more or less, entirely controlled by other players. You never know what you might find when you log in. Unless of course you stay in Highsec space (where NPC factions rule and pvp is very rare, as NPC security forces intervene) the star systems change the same. And there are over 7,500 star systems that you are able to visit btw... But the player politics change. Alliances rise and fall, borders change, people go bankrupt, etc. You have to practically be Machiavellian to succeed in some cases. Plus it's a super pretty game, just look at my purty Battleship, which is over 1,049 meters long, which is a tad over half a mile. Here I am in orbit above Amarr Prime, my race's homeworld.

• Looks very cool! I'm exploring MMORPGs right now, so I'll give it a try if there's a free month upon subscription..
    Right now I play Conan Unchained, Star Trek Online and a little Champions Online.. I play on my ultrabook without mouse, so I'm not playing Champions so much, as it's difficult with a mouse pad..
    Also played a bit of Ragnarok Online on the free server - getting money ("Zeny") is so incredibly difficult in that game :)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @Ficus_Religiosa I was curious as to how Star Trek online is, is it any good? And money seems difficult to gain in EVE online at first, but eventually you'll find tons of ways to make ISK. A particularly fun and non-violent way is to be an explorer. Explorers tend to have a small frigate class vessel, almost always unarmed (since they are very weak) and they are generally loaded with a cloaking device so they can hide, as well as scan probes. Explorers scan down sites such as wormholes, pirate bases, cosmic anomalies, etc. Then can sell these locations to other players, or, you can give them to your corporation/alliance, and then they will pay you a percentage of what they make at the site you scanned down. Scanning is honestly really fun and interesting. Here's a really good video tutorial on it. Oh yes, like I said anyone can get two weeks for free to play. And I can give you a "buddy account" where you get three weeks instead. Some players have managed to make enough ISK to pay for their game with in-game currency, with their free accounts.

• Zayl said:

@Ficus_Religiosa I was curious as to how Star Trek online is, is it any good? And money seems difficult to gain in EVE online at first, but eventually you'll find tons of ways to make ISK. A particularly fun and non-violent way is to be an explorer. Explorers tend to have a small frigate class vessel, almost always unarmed (since they are very weak) and they are generally loaded with a cloaking device so they can hide, as well as scan probes. Explorers scan down sites such as wormholes, pirate bases, cosmic anomalies, etc. Then can sell these locations to other players, or, you can give them to your corporation/alliance, and then they will pay you a percentage of what they make at the site you scanned down. Scanning is honestly really fun and interesting. Here's a really good video tutorial on it. Oh yes, like I said anyone can get two weeks for free to play. And I can give you a "buddy account" where you get three weeks instead. Some players have managed to make enough ISK to pay for their game with in-game currency, with their free accounts.

Thanks for the info! And sorry for the late response, I'm really busy at the moment; studying 10 - 12 hours a day for my exams, then comes job, work out and social responsibilities! Phew.. I'm done in June, so I'll look at it then

Star Trek Online is OK, I haven't played it much since starting Age of Conan. It quickly feels shallow, ground combat is flimsy and almost bothersome. Fighting in space is entertaining, but ultimately comes down to quite simple strategies. Other than fighting in space and fighting on the ground, I don't think there's much to do in the game.
    Cool graphics, cool customization options for ship and character.

I've downloaded Mabinogi now, which seems interesting due to the aging and re-birth system, but also quite complex.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @Ficus_Religiosa

That's awesome. I really like games like that when there is more than one dynamic to the whole thing. I may consider giving Star Trek online a look. The combat in EVE requires a lot of tactical thinking, often days in advance. There are ways ships need to be fitted, pilots that need time to prepare in order to be there for a fleet operation, scouts sent out to gauge the enemy strength and location, territory to be fought over, etc. And EVE onlien has it's ground battles too, now. DUST 514 is a free to download game on the PS3. DUST is connected to EVE online in almost every way (they even share the same economy). It's still in Beta right now (though a month or two from actually being released)

DUST mercenaries will need to rely on EVE players for their paychecks, orbital support, etc. In return DUST mercs win battles on the ground, and can help claim planets, and thus entire solar systems much faster.

Here's a pic of me in a fleet op, in warp (i'm the tiny gold ship in the middle) excuse the graphics, but there were about 300 total ships in our fleet, and we fought another, similarly sized fleet. So turning down the graphics is a way to avoid intense lag.

And here's a bit of a trailer regarding both DUST and EVE, really interesting to watch. Unlike nearly all of the other trailers, this one is made from actual gameplay.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting. I will check it out.