Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Richard gere talks about buddhism.

jlljll Veteran
edited May 2013 in General Banter
do you agree?

TheEccentricJeffrey

Comments

• poptartpoptart Veteran
    jll said:

do you agree?

With what?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't disagree with anything he said, it's pretty basic. Which part were you looking for input on? I like Richard Gere but I wish I could get his thoughts on his working in Hollywood and contributing through some of his work to problems in the world. I mean the very general and overall problem of entertainment that includes violent movies. Obviously they aren't a problem for everyone, but they are a problem for some. I'm always interesting in how entertainers see this, if they completely let themselves off the hook and pass the buck or how they see it. Of course we are all responsible for our decisions in what we, and our children, watch. But is it ok to say that a person can make violent movies or music and put the responsibility solely on the viewer? If that's the case, then why does Buddhism have the idea of being careful not to cause harm to someone else. How does an actor such as Richard Gere make the N8FP work with his career when he has is not using right speech and so on? Of course, it is a character and not Gere himself, but to the people listening, the words are still real and still carry weight in their own lives. Has anyone ever seen where Gere or someone else discusses this?
    rivercane
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I find Steven Seagal followed a Buddhist heart, with regard to making movies - until maybe the last 10 years.

I think it may be safe to say he seems to have 'lost his way' a little....
    The movies are getting more violent and bloody, he's meaner, tougher and more ruthless, and he apparently has a reputation for being a bit of a Casanova with the young ladies.... and lets not go into what the hell he's done to his hair....:D

Yeah. I get the impression that he's become distinctly detached from his roots.

Now RG here, has made many movies in which he played relatively 'not nice' people; materialistic, vindictive, calculating, cold and harsh - yet IRL, he could be said to be a leading light, an example to others.
    I'm sure he's very comfortably off, but I know he does a tremendous amount of good with his money...

But as to the OP's question..."Do you agree?"...
    Yes, I'm not sure in what regard the question is being asked....
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2013
    federica said:

Now RG here, has made many movies in which he played relatively 'not nice' people; materialistic, vindictive, calculating, cold and harsh - yet IRL, he could be said to be a leading light, an example to others.
    I'm sure he's very comfortably off, but I know he does a tremendous amount of good with his money...

I'd never heard of Richard Gere before he began supporting the Tibetan cause. So I did some research on him, and looked up his film history. He says he started out as a Zen Buddhist, and was miserable. Said it has something to do with Zen's austerity. He says when he switched to TB, something shifted in a big way, and his heart opened up.

This is reflected in his film career. In the first half of his career, he's very wooden, no emotions on his face, very stony-faced in all his films. I can't imagine how or why he won awards back then, because no acting was taking place that I can see. Then in the 90's, suddenly he transformed! Beginning with the film, "Runaway Bride", he started smiling, and showing a range of emotions. In the musical, "Chicago", he really cuts loose, and has the time of his life, it looks like. Really enjoys himself.

So I think he was going through some personal struggles in the first half of his career--he writes that his 20's were miserable--and so he wasn't particularly selective about the parts he took. The nature of the parts he plays after his change are very different, in a good way.

That's my take on RG, FWIW.

federicaperson
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    In the article I read he was still in his 20s, late 20s, when he met the Dalai Lama in person and realized that is the path he wanted to take. The Dalia Lama is actually one of his personal teachers and he's been working with him for quite a long time. The interview was really interesting. I appreciate your insight into his career, that's really interesting. I haven't seen all his films by any means.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I feel that 'sticking to me' was not adequately described. But it's true that we want to be free and less heavy in our thoughts.
  • jlljll Veteran
    With gere.
    poptart said:

jll said:

do you agree?

With what?
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    edited May 2013
    jll said:

With gere.

poptart said:

jll said:

do you agree?

With what?
    I'm not sure agreement is appropriate. Gere is describing his own personal experience of Buddhism which is bound to be unique to him, just as your reaction is unique to you.

While I've nothing against celebrities being used to bring attention to Buddhism I find these sound bite type programmes shallow and irritating. They typically gloss over the nitty gritty. But if they pique people's curiosity to find out more then they serve a purpose, I suppose.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    anything you disagree with, @jll....?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    "You want to be a billionaire? You have to do the work! You want to play the piano? You have to do the work! See? Very Western."

Sounds like Gere has been spending a lot of time around HHDL... really channeled him there! :p

But anyways I don't disagree with anything Gere has said in this video.