Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting thought when you look at some of our discussions

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
Saw this today in another context, but sometimes it applies to our discussions, as well:

"Dear optimist, pessimist, and realist: While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely, the opportunist."
Wisdom23zenfflobsterDrusillaFaithpersonInvincible_summerSillyPuttyKundomithril

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Very insightful, @MaryAnne. Anyone would benefit enormously if they abandoned the idea that others are judging others all the time.
    vinlynSillyPuttyStraight_Man
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited May 2013
    fivebells said:

Very insightful, @MaryAnne. Anyone would benefit enormously if they abandoned the idea that others are judging others all the time.

Yes, @fivebells, some people think others are being judgmental (or lecturing or nagging), when all they're really doing is demonstrating a different viewpoint.

SillyPuttyInvincible_summermithril
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    fivebells said:

....So there.

:p

SillyPuttyInvincible_summerKundolobster
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    Yeh , this is one of my favourite quotes! X
  • So pragmatism, basically?
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    vinlyn said:

some people think others are being judgmental (or lecturing or nagging), when all they're really doing is demonstrating a different viewpoint.

who are 'some people' / 'others' / 'they' ?
    where are 'they' ?

just food for thought

personpoptart
  • I think a lot of it is about how people "word" themselves, at times I sense a lot of sarcasm and people looking down at others for even asking a question. There are ways to demonstrate a different viewpoint in a good and compassionate way. But oh well, this i the internet so there will always be trolls, and people who get a kick out of being the more powerful in discussions. Unfortunatley a lot of people crave drama.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think fortunately we crave dharma? :) I think you are saying we are attached to it, right?
    JoyfulGirllobstermithril
  • Jeffrey said:

I think fortunately we crave dharma? :) I think you are saying we are attached to it, right?

I would hope that buddhists crave dharma, hehe.

I meant what I said when I think a lot of people crave drama. We like to keep the attention of ourselves, and put other people down so that we feel better, it is human. But it leads to guilt and bad feelings. All we can do is wish each other well, and hope that we all get happiness.

I had an interesting thing happening to me when I was at a buddhist course, I am stuyding sociology so a lot of people want to talk politics with me. I often don't like it, especially when I am at a buddhist course, because I want to focus on buddhism and political discussions often make me feel bad. I don't know why, but I don't like it. This woman was so upset that I felt differently than her about certain subjects, I tried to tell her that I did not necesseraly have a set opinion, but I felt that there were more sides to the subject, and that there would be no final answer. I tried to end the discussion several times, but she would not end it. I thanked her for challenging my views, and wished her a good day. I had no bad feelings then, but she started to come up to me several times saying that she felt bad for being so critical to my studies. I tried to say that it was okay that she felt differently than me, that I was fine with it. And then she started to come with arguments again about the discussion, like she had to have the final word. I let her have it, and just wanted to run away. After that I started feel angry and kind of annoyed about her, tried not to think badly, but I just really wanted to lash out about it with my friends at the course. I refrained from doing it, and just tried to stay with the bad feelings, and wish her all the best in life.

I think we should remember that the world is not black and white, that is I think one of the important teachings from buddhism. I think in black and white often too, and it narrows our world and makes us more hopeless I think.

Jeffreyriverflowperson
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    federica said:

fivebells said:

....So there.

:p

...And the irony continues all 'round. ;-)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    "Dear optimist, pessimist, and realist: While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely, the opportunist."

Time to share a nice pot of tea . . . :coffee:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Send tea and biscuits/cookies/crayons to draw on my table hehe
    lobster
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

You are such a dharma queen!
    riverflowJoyfulGirlKundopoptart