Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Looking for a dhamma wheel

Hello everyone, I have a personal shrine in my room I made when I was first getting deeply involved in buddhism...the thing is tho I changed traditions a while back and was looking to redo everything.

While I was looking at a statue I was thinking about getting a thought I've had before reoccurred to me. From what I've read the Buddha wasn't really fond of the ideal of statues being made in his image so why not (for my shrine) have a statue of a dhamma wheel instead?
Thing is tho eather I'm lousy at searching online or dhamma wheel statues aren't really that common.

Does anyone know where to find a fairly decent sized wheel or are they just an uncommon thing?
Sabre

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    Awesome, I wanted to do the same thing. I used to bow to the wheel in the wall of a monastery, but I could not find them anywhere for sale.

You may find some results by looking for "dharmachakra".
    Inc88
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    When I get better at carving that's a good lead on an opportunity to make something that is in demand. I am awaiting a cut resistant glove because once I got my blade razor sharp I nicked my hand and it scared me.

Needless to say it will be awhile before I am making large, quality, intricate carvings. :)
    SabreInc88nenkohaiericcris10sen
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I have found many fake yanzi river boat wheels that make great Dharmachakras. My dining wall sports a 3 foot one below a Kanzeon altar.
    When I figure out how to get my computer to recognaise my camera again (sigh) I'll post a picture.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    You might also have better luck looking for a painting or thangka of one.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    would a beautiful painting or poster of a dharma wheel work until you find a wooden one?

http://fineartamerica.com/products/dharma-wheel-chakra-flower-dirk-czarnota-canvas-print.html
    riverflowInc88Invincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I like the painting in the link @MaryAnne It looks like stained glass which I always admired in Christian churches.
    They have dharma wheels in several styles and mediums on that site to look at.... however, I just noticed myself that the paintings (not the posters) are quite pricey! :-/
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    Thanks for the replies everyone :]

@MaryAnne that painting is amazing! and the other artwork on there is incredible!

Since dhamma wheels are hard to find it feels like a good opportunity for our more handy fellow buddhists to make a few extra pennies :P
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    @how honestly i really like the wheel you have...ill have to look a few up...if i find a small enough one make a stand for it and itll be perfect
    @how

Is that a statue of Kwan Yin I see there...?? :-) She is my fave.
    riverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@MaryAnne
    Yes it is. I should have taken a better photo. It's an antique Chinese Blanc de chine Kwan Yin that was a gift.
    It has exquisite detail work that numerous folks with iconography leanings have found interesting.
    how said:

@MaryAnne
    Yes it is. I should have taken a better photo. It's an antique Chinese Blanc de chine Kwan Yin that was a gift.
    It has exquisite detail work that numerous folks with iconography leanings have found interesting.

Ooooooooooh. Well, if you ever get the chance /have the time, I'd love to see a close-up. :D

riverflow
  • ^^^ what she said!

@MaryAnne and I must be Quan Yin groupies...
    MaryAnne
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @MaryAnne & riverflow
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Do not become too attached to symbols, and different tradition 'idols'....

I say I follow Theravada, but you would never know quite where I'm at, by looking at the different Buddhist icons I have in my home....It's a regular mish-mash of different images....

In the end, it's not what you manifest or which tradition you follow.
    It's how you yourself, personify what they represent.
    So, mix Zen, with Mahayana with Chinese, with Indian with whatever you want.

What's going on in your Mind?
    project that, as an 'image' for people to observe.

In action.
    riverflowInc88Vastmind

@how

You're right; the detail, the flow of her robes and expression on her face... a very beautiful rendition of Kwan Yin. She has been the favorite icon of mine for many years, going back to the beginning of my Pagan days.

Thanks for sharing! :)

riverflow
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Check out breakers' yards or e-bay... as an example this one going for around £25 plus pp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wooden-ships-wheel-/161034826177?lgeo=1&clk_rvr_id=485478043542&vectorid=229508
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Yes Federica

All attachments, whether spiritual or mundane, result in suffering.

&
    coincidently @ MaryAnne,
    it was a Pagen's gift.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I've always found it interesting how Kwan Yin (and all her/his manifestations) are displayed as both male and/or female. Anyone know why?

And sorry for hijacking the thread.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Compassion is not gender dependent .
    riverflow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I've always found it interesting how Kwan Yin (and all her/his manifestations) are displayed as both male and/or female. Anyone know why?
    And sorry for hijacking the thread.

Not come across this... I know Tara is the female manifestation of Avalokitesvara/Chenrezig, ('male') said to be born of his tears of compassion...

I DO find a lot of statues of the Buddha seem androgynous - probably for the reason cited by @how, above....
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I thought Tara was the female Buddha.

But no I checked wikipedia and Fed is right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_(Buddhism)