Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ultimate Goal?

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited May 2013 in Philosophy
This discussion was created from comments split from: What is the ultimate goal?.

A 4-year-old thread.

Please, people... anything over 6 months is old-hat - start a new thread, okay??

Comments

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013

Once again thank-you all for your comments. Believe me when i say i understand what Nirvana is supposed to mean

No. I cannot believe you.
    but as ever the tricky dualistic western mind and language fails to convey it accurately.,
    There is no language, picture, metaphor, theory or description that conveys it accurately, Western, Eastern or Klingon. Language depends on a subject/predicate structure that makes it impossible to speak of ultimate truths. For this and other reasons the Tao that is eternal cannot be spoken. "It" would not be an instance of a category, and would therefore be beyond the categories of thought and language.
    we simply don't have the language so you have to take my word for it that i do have a grasp of it.
    I predict that when it has grasp of you it will be at least a thousand times better than you can imagine right now, which I hope you will see as a very optimistic and encouraging idea.

How people get off hard drugs and rescue their lives I'll never know. I doubt I could do it. You may well have an advantage over many of us here, for the same reason that people who gow up poor tend to be be highly motivated as entrepreneurs.

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    WHAT IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL?
    Goalessness.
    riverflowBeejmfranzdorfpegembara
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    I'd put it as union with reality. But goalessness also.
    lobster
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    how said:

Goalessness.

I dissent (partly for the metaphysical fun of it).

Last words of the Buddha:

"Now the Buddha exhorted the monks - Well now, monks, my advice is: all is impermanence, it only through vigilance that you achieve the goal."
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    But that goal is still goalessness.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    THE ULTIMATE GOAL IS.... TO NOT HAVE A GOAL !

When you can Just live, just Be, need nothing, want nothing, uv cracked it......

Unfortunitely, this will only come when we die.....

Death = nirvana!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Just smoke marijuana all day and play video games = goalessness = nirvana? How true.

:D
    karastiJohn_Spencer
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    A four year thread is not my ultimate goal. I wouldn't judge other though.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    A brand new car.
  • how said:

Goalessness.

And......there it is. So simple. Beautifully simple.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    @mfranzdorf Beautifully simple, yet so difficult to achieve.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Two questions:
    What is "Goalessness?"
    If your goal is Goalessness , is that not in and of itself a goal?
    JeffreyJohn_Spencerkarmabluespegembara
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think you just drop the goal(s).. because you get tired of the birth and death of them.
  • Two questions:
    What is "Goalessness?"
    If your goal is Goalessness , is that not in and of itself a goal?

Well, you have to have a goal. If not, you are just spinning your wheel. A lay person needs a goal to stay on track. If you are truly goalless, then you no longer have a need for goals, you just are.
  • Cory said:

@mfranzdorf Beautifully simple, yet so difficult to achieve.

It is only as difficult as you / we make it. So, yeah, extremely freaking difficult! :)
    how

"Well, you have to have a goal. If not, you are just spinning your wheel"
    "If you are truly goalless, then you no longer have a need for goals, you just are."

So one needs goals or one's wasting one's time. At the same time being goalless your not wasting your time because "you just are"?

I never said one shouldn't have goals. I simply questioned the word itself, Goalessness is term, a word (I think?), but WHAT is it?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think it could mean be flexible. If something changes just do your best to adapt. And then long range it *could* mean (to you) less clinging of the illusion of self, or less clinging to the aggregates as they are called. It's very hard because there is the suffering of suffering like getting a disease or something.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Florian said:

I'd put it as union with reality. But goalessness also.

:bawl:
    The onion can join the union.
    The union is just another layer of onion.

No either or. No also. No wandering goalless.
    No Enlightenment.

Oh the humanity! :wave:
  • I would say escaping samsara. That would be the ultimate goal.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    The goaless goal is presumably reached via the gateless gate.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Well, seeing as this is going nowhere, I think now is as good a time as any to knock this one on the head.
    Thanks.
    lobster
This discussion has been closed.