Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What happens when time runs out?

Ok so i know time can never really run out, its a concept. What i mean is we are on a planet with dwindling resources, we have plundered and destroyed its natural habitats, we wage war and learn ever more creative ways to kill and maime. Eventually mankind will be wiped from the planet by its own hand. What then? Discuss.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2013
    This is like bacteria and virus on the skin of an orange, discussing what would happen if they die.
    It is hubris to think that Bacteria & virus, like humanity, are the only vehicles to hail for karmic fruition.
    John_SpencerInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I hope my laundry and dusting are done :) Wouldn't want to neglect that :)
    Beejzombiegirllobster
  • We're certainly not the first species to live on this planet and it's gone through several mass extinctions in the past, our mess will just be another one in that line. Samsara Wheel rolls on and on, so to speak.
    riverflowDaltheJigsaw
  • ZeroZero Veteran

What then?

Probably something similar to the events in the parts of the universe where humans are not present.
    howBeej
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

Ok so i know time can never really run out, its a concept. What i mean is we are on a planet with dwindling resources, we have plundered and destroyed its natural habitats, we wage war and learn ever more creative ways to kill and maime. Eventually mankind will be wiped from the planet by its own hand. What then? Discuss.

until you die 'your time' never runs out

pay attention to 'wise thought' (yoniso manasikara)
    listen/read "Buddh's Teaching' to know what are wise thoughts (parathogosa)

you will never regret

instead of 'You' better put "I" then that will be on going Dhamma Practice

have no doubt
    one will get 'Right View'
    one will stop asking question

what is remain is to practice 'Noble-eight-fold-path'

it develops 'seven factors of enlightenment'

Enlightened!!!

(end of the story)

:)
    Jeffreylobster
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    But will there be pie there?
    JeffreyInvincible_summerKundo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Societies in the past have outgrown themselves, they could always move onto greener pastures. We can't really do that on a global level. FWIW societal collapse probably won't wipe out humanity altogether, at some point the survivors will crawl out of their caves and rebuild.

For each of us individually our time could run out at any moment.
    Jeffreymfranzdorf
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I asked my friend, a nun, if there would be peppermint tea to drink in heaven. She said it is a mystery.
    Beej
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @Jeffrey- Awesome. My Aunt is a Catholic nun. She likes whiskey more than peppermint tea. I like pie more than heaven. :):):)
    JeffreyhowInvincible_summer
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

until you die (your last breath) you can enjoy anything that you want to enjoy

only thing is your preferences will change
    there is no doubt about it

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.........?
    KundoJeffreyZero
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    federica said:

So long, and thanks for all the fish.........?

so long, fare well, (howfedersai ?), goodbye

;)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    "What happens when time runs out?"

Did somebody forget to wind the clock?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I imagine we'll end up reborn on other planets or other times on Earth. Really, we are only destroying ourselves. Yes, we are destroying resources while we are here, but this has the greatest effect on us. If we destroy our race the rest of the planet will recover (and fairly quickly) and be just fine. I like that idea. I quite enjoyed the "Life After People" about the topic of the planet recovering. I quite like our planet (talk about an attachment! lol) so I'd prefer to see us change course, but I think it may already be too late for us to make any meaningful difference.
    riverflow
  • ZeroZero Veteran

I should hope so.
    Beejperson
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I have pulled a muscle in my neck. It hurts. The future of the planet will have to wait.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    When time runs out the dream ends.
    Or maybe it's the other way around.
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    The timer usually goes 'ting'.
    riverflowpersonZero
  • According to the Pnakotic Manuscripts, the coleopteran race will become the next dominant intelligent species on Earth, up until the time the Yithians exchange minds with them to escape the apocalypse to the flying polyps.
    Beejrivercaneperson
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

What then?

Then an intelligent species might have a chance to evolve.
    Beej
  • You reap what you sow apparently.