Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does this bother anyone?? Celebs getting paid highly for sponsored tweets?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
I understand that they are "celebs," however; I don't think this is okay? It is a bit too much. Kim Kardashian is making (Guess by professionals,) $20,000 for one single tweet??? WOW!!!

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/celebs-are-paid-2500-8000-per-sponsored-tweet_b18122

Comments

• No, it doesn't bother me. I would mention NEWBUDDHIST if Lincoln gave me a tenner ;)

:vimp:
    TheEccentric
  • #newbuddhist

Ahem, bank account details available at :p
    person
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

No, it doesn't bother me. I would mention NEWBUDDHIST if Lincoln gave me a tenner ;)

:vimp:

LOL! It just seems way too much? For some of these celebrities who don't do much? Like Kim Kardashian and others, who have had xxx rated videos come out and have become celebrities? It just boggles my mind...
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Why should it concern you, how does it impact on your life at all?
  • Yeah sure, but in this world there is a lot that boggles the mind. War, sexual addiction, rape, harrassment, lies, abuse etc. And yet it all exists, this other phenomenon is social.

The KK incident is a market thing: she influences a lot of people by being vacuous, but interesting, and Guess or whoever get marketing clout. Marketing is just about influencing the person to remember a brand, and thus influence buying patterns. Obviously they think she is worth it.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    KK is interesting?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Lee82 said:

Why should it concern you, how does it impact on your life at all?

It concerns me, because it's around me. It is breaking me down, as this ties to everything else mentioned in this thread (Poverty, Violence and etc)... Perhaps I need to speak to someone.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Realistically, this sort of thing has been around since I Love Lucy and beyond... We're fooling ourselves if we think that it's really any different just because it's now through social media instead of product placement or sponsored messages.
    person
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I think it was Bodhisattva Issa who said, 'the poor will always be with you'

Poor celebrities. Money is no substitute for their empty wasted lives.
    (Ain't I the judgemental dismissive one!)

Don't waste your concerns on the poor celebs.
    Give Dana and see how little the enriching sangha delight in practically nothing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dāna
  • Nah, it's just advertising. The consumer savvy public is already aware our celebrities are walking endorsement factories for money and only wish they could be famous enough to sell their name and image and make a fortune.

Heh. It reminds me when supposedly the last ancient Pope announced he now had a twitter account. I wonder if anyone really believed the Pope was sitting around punching pithy comments onto a keypad, and also if the older generation of Catholics who actually cared about the Vatican even knew what twitter was? You'll notice when the next Pope came along, the experiment in being relevant was quickly dropped.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Not only do I not have a Twitter account, I can't imagine any "celebrity" that I'd want to "follow."
    MaryAnne
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    I have a twitter and Facebook. I'm kinda tired of sponsored tweets showing up in my feed, especially if I don't follow the person.
  • I had a twitter account for about .... 5 minutes! LOL I signed up, logged in, and then tweeted about 4 times to my brother about something political. After that, I deleted it from my phone and iPad. Don't need it, don't want it.

I just don't see the point of tweeting short phrases or sentences about bullshit, to people who don't need to know and certainly couldn't care less about what I'm doing/thinking at any particular time during my mundane daily activities. If it can't facilitate actual conversation, it just doesn't seem very useful to me.

As for celebs tweeting... not having a twitter account takes care of that problem. :D
    DaltheJigsaw
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran

Not only do I not have a Twitter account, I can't imagine any "celebrity" that I'd want to "follow."

Unfortunately, not many people are as mature as you or @MaryAnne. In fact, most people are mindless idolators, which is what makes the KKs of this world possible at all. So the real problem is not celebrities or twitter or any social media but the vast majority of immature people.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    You don't have to view it if you don't use it. If you don't like how something works and how it makes you feel, don't use it?
    I have twitter, it helps me keep up with my son and his friends (who use twitter and tumblr instead of FB these days) and with Twins baseball news. That is about all I follow, and a funny friend who has an account for her dog, lol. I don't have a single celebrity on my list at all and I have no problems with sponsored messages at all. The thing I think is neat, is the "lesser" sports people, actually interact with you on twitter. I send messages with MN Twins, some of the Vikings players, and others. I think it's neat that we can do that now, for those who actually have their own account of course. It's not for everyone, which is fine. Then they shouldn't use it.
    As far as the actual OP, I don't really care. It astounds me that some of the most shallow people in the world have so many followers and I have no desire to be part of that portion of our world/society. So I just don't.
    DaltheJigsawMaryAnne
  • I do want to be clear though... I'm not a total curmudgeon when it comes to all social media- I do Facebook, and I like Facebook. Because of FB, I re-connected with several friends from high school, etc. My family is spread out throughout the eastern states and it's a great way to keep in touch and share news and photos of kids, grandkids, etc. I also use Facetime on iPad now and then, and text frequently on my phone to family and friends... But Twitter is too limited, and like I said not much use like that....
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Brady Hoke, Michigan's football coach said when a player got into a problem with tweeting.... "I thought tweeting was what the birds do"
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Doesn't bother me if people use or don't use twitter :) My use of it is pretty limited but teenagers use it, ALOT. Because of that, I keep up with my son and his friends as part of my continued monitoring of his social media usage. It has a purpose, but certainly not for everyone. There are friends of my son who post easily 25 times a day or more on twitter. It's the same as updating your FB status, except the use of hashtags can make it more entertaining when they are used well, lol. What is a boring "what I had for dinner" status update on FB becomes a funny message on twitter when a hashtag is applied.