Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Music to write to...

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited June 2013 in General Banter
Just looking for some suggestions to spice up my instrumental playlist. I can't write while listening to music with words, so the only prerequisite is that it's almost completely instrumental. I'm a big fan of Yann Tiersen, Erik Satie, Tchaikovsky, and I also listen to a lot of ambient/trance music.

Examples:

Gnossienne No.1 by Erik Satie:

La Plage by Yann Tiersen:

Cloudy, With Occasional Rain by Hibiki Sound Factory:
Invincible_summer

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Anything by Ólafur Arnalds

Stars of the Lid are a bit experimental, but great ambient music.

I am also quite partial to DJ Krush.

Bonobo is good too.
    zombiegirlriverflow
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Awesome suggestions @Invincible_summer I like that they're so long too... it's nice to not have to switch tracks frequently. :D Thanks a bunch
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    65 days of static - radio protector
    zombiegirlInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    As you like Satie, try Faure too...and Ravel , whose Bolero is very well known and is not typical of his output.
    riverflowzombiegirl
  • Bach's Cello Suites (I'm preferential to Jaap Ter Linden's recording; Jean-Guihen Queyras' version is lovely too). You can never go wrong with Bach!

And, this is strangely beautiful-- Morton Feldman's Piano and String Quartet (Kronos Quartet has a recording of this with Aki Takahashi), which is 79 minutes long (which is short for a Feldman piece!). The piece quietly unfolds, with strange patterns evolving slowly (Feldman was fond of Persian rugs and the last decade of his life was obsessed with creating a musical equivalent). I find this very calming:

[LINK]

zombiegirlInvincible_summer

• Stars of the Lid are a bit experimental, but great ambient music.

Stars of the Lid are wonderful! And Their Refindment of the Decline and The TIred Sounds of... are both excellent albums.
    Invincible_summer
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Drumming has an interesting effect - different tempos bring out different moods I find... or a metronome.
    zombiegirl
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Do you like Jazz? My friend is John Abercrombies wife.
    zombiegirl
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Zero said:

Drumming has an interesting effect - different tempos bring out different moods I find... or a metronome.

I actually prefer silence, but when my fiance is on the couch watching tv, I've got to tune it out somehow... thus the real need. But I know what you mean about bringing out different moods. By my own choice, I typically only employ music when I need a certain feeling to get into the mood of a scene.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited June 2013

I actually prefer silence, but when my fiance is on the couch watching tv, I've got to tune it out somehow... thus the real need. But I know what you mean about bringing out different moods. By my own choice, I typically only employ music when I need a certain feeling to get into the mood of a scene.

:D we have more in common than we could know!!! (that sort of rhymes with ditto...)
    zombiegirl
    @Jeffrey I'm assuming you mean this John Abercrombie?

If so, that's pretty freakin cool.
    Jeffrey