Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Esoteric/Mystical, non-Vajrayana schools?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited June 2013 in Faith & Religion
As a syncretic Hindu, I thought I could just live the philosophy of Buddhism with none of the ritual. I guess I was wrong and am now looking for a school to mix into my practice. Particularly, a mystical, ritual-based or esoteric school.

I would like to incorporate Shingon, but there seem to be absolutely no centers in my region of the U.S. and there is very little information online. I tried Tibetan, but it didn't really click with me.

What are some esoteric, non-Vajrayana schools that can be found in Mahayana or, possibly, Theravada?

Keep in mind that I know ritual is not needed to be a Buddhist, but I love practices and incorporate the mind as well as external senses.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I imagine sanghas vary in the Vajrayana, so you could give a different one a try. Some are very similar to Advaita Vedanta. Is that< related to the Hinduism you practice?

As far as esoteric Buddhism I haven't heard of any other than tantra.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    @Jeffrey, I wouldn't say I practice Advaita, but it is similar.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Actually, there's one in Ch'an, that's based in the US, OP. The one time I looked at their online literature, they looked like a combination of Ch'an and Vajrayana, and used some Vajrayana imagery. You might dig around some more for sources/locations relating to Shingon.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikkyo

Esoteric ideas, from eastern sources Hindu and Buddhist, have been incorporated into Freemasonry and Western esoteric schools. These might be easier to find access to.
    It is a good way of wasting time, is that your main intention? What precisely are you looking for? :p
    lobster said:

What precisely are you looking for? :p

Anything and everything. Perhaps nothing. A way to look into the infinite space of my mind or into the face of God. A way to destroy my ego by means of knowledge and wisdom of ages past.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @DaftChris, advaita vedanta. Check out Mooji on youtube.
    DaftChris
  • DaftChris said:

lobster said:

Anything and everything. Perhaps nothing. A way to look into the infinite space of my mind or into the face of God. A way to destroy my ego by means of knowledge and wisdom of ages past.

Its a bit more of an intellectual book, but you may find it worthwhile reading: Rudolf Otto's book The Idea of the Holy. Still, it could be up your alley. It blew me away when I first read it 17 (!!!) years ago...

• @DaftChris - in Otto's book also there is an insightful look into the Bhagavad Gita where Krishna manifests himself *entirely* to Arjuna. (It was reading this book that led me to read the Bhagavad Gita actually)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    DaftChris said:

lobster said:

A way to destroy my ego by means of knowledge and wisdom of ages past.
    nihilism, satanism and brain damage
    are not spiritual paths, though satanism attempts this, it is a lie and inflates the ego.

To be honest with you, the best advice is from the sufi sage Saadi:
    ... 'I fear you will never reach Mecca, O Nomad! For you are on the road to Turkestan . . .'

What on earth are you doing?

If you ever grow tired of trying to climb everything and calling it 'spiiritual' we might discuss Buddhism (for example) . . .

. . . Until then have fun . . . nobody will wake you . . .
    :wave:
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    I find it difficult to see why @DaftChris should be accused of nihilism, Satanism and brain damage. It's a lot for a Monday morning.
    riverflowlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    :hair:
    @Florian, these paths are my suggestions for 'ego destruction', which is not part of any credible path, only the incredible ones.
    Some Satanism for example attempts to destroy the boundaries and some aghori ascetics do something similar. The problem if you try and go everywhere, you end up spiritually dissipated at best. Usually confused. The path of the fallen angel (Lucifer . . . one of the names of the Morning Star) is not for beginners. I am not even sure it is suitable for the 'accusing self' . . . in Sufism . . .

. . . should @DaftChris wish to destroy his ego, these are they ways I know of. However I feel he does not really know where if anywhere he is going. If that is unfair, judgemental and unkind, then my apologies. However he is not daft enough to believe that is my monday morning intent I hope . . . If I could be more skilful and patient and kind and accommodating? Oh yes. No doubt . . . but then you see there is a little bit of the devil in me . . . :rarr:
    @lobster

Perhaps "destroy" was quite hyperbolic. I meant more akin to transcend my ego, rather than destroy.

Besides, I'm certainly not interested in Satanism or Nihilism; and I more than likely never will be.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Yeah. I read it as hyperbole, hence my comment. It's so easy to be misunderstood in emails.
    riverflow