Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buycott app for smartphones

SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
edited June 2013 in Diet & Habits
I thought I'd stick this under "Diet & Habits" because it does have to do with living a Buddhist lifestyle in a sense. But if I'm wrong, many apologies to the mods for the misplacement.

I posted this as a reply in another thread, but wanted to make a brand-spanking new topic for it since not everyone may be reading the thread it was posted in. So here ya go!:

SPEAKING OF... if you have a smartphone, care about certain causes (i.e. sweatshop/child labor, animal cruelty, GLBT discrimination, GMO's in foods, etc.), and shop like the rest of the world has to (hello!), this is an awesome app to have-- and it's free!:

http://www.buycott.com/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2013/05/14/new-app-lets-you-boycott-koch-brothers-monsanto-and-more-by-scanning-your-shopping-cart/
Now when we go shopping, we can really educate ourselves and put our monies towards the things we want to see happening in this world, and help to decrease/eliminate those things we do not want to see happening. So check it out! It's great! :)
riverflowpersonEvenThird

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2013
    The app isn't available on my phone... it looks as if it's been pulled due to glitches? or maybe it's just not available in the UK.....

:(

EDIT:
    OK, mistake....I misspelt the word.

It is available, but be careful: The reviews of this app are extremely critical. However, reading the article, it seems to be full of glitches because it has proven to be 100 times more popular than the creators ever thought imaginable, so by very virtue of the fact that a gazillion users are trying it out, it's obviously overloading the mother program to the point where important functions are simply giving up the ghost and not functioning.

In fairness, they are aware and doing their best to sort matters out - but I see no point in trying to use it as it stands....
  • federica said:

The app isn't available on my phone... it looks as if it's been pulled due to glitches? or maybe it's just not available in the UK.....

:(

Awww!!! :angry: You know, in my excitement, I never even bothered to check if they had different versions for other countries. HOPEFULLY they are going to further develop the idea and have apps across the globe and not just in the states. Sorry, everyone!
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Excellent. Now I will use this app for smartphone to boycott my smartphone (cuz it was probably made in a sweatshop).
    SillyPuttyCittapersonEvenThird
  • betaboy said:

Excellent. Now I will use this app for smartphone to boycott my smartphone (cuz it was probably made in a sweatshop).

LOL! You know, I honestly didn't even think of that until you said it. Man... that is quite disheartening and the pinnacle of irony. Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder if any reviewers of the app have commented on this...?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    TNH points out that all things are characterised by Interbeing...for some reason we tend to assume that applies only to things we personally approve of..like flowers and flute music.. :)
    SillyPutty