Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Youtube as a source of dharma talks

DotCDotC New
edited June 2013 in Arts & Writings
I was wondering if anyone else makes use of youtube to hear dharma talks and discussions. I've found listening to videos of such very relaxing and helpful while at work.

Two speakers I've enjoyed so far are Venerable Arjahn Brahm ( http://www.youtube.com/user/AjahnBrahmRetreats?feature=watch )
and Venerable Thubten Chodron ( http://www.youtube.com/user/sravastiabbey ). Both speak with such humor, candidness and calmness of spirit, it's uplifting to hear.

Does anyone else do this? Have favourite or suggested speakers to listen to?
SillyPutty

Comments

• SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Love Ajahn Brahm. I always feel so hopeful and inspired after listening to one of his videos. I walk away with a bit of bounce in my step. He was actually one of the first people on YouTube I started to listen to. Then I began listening to Tsem Tulku Rinpoche's talks. At first I was confused by them, because I was so used to Ajahn Brahm's Theravadan, low-key approach. Tsem Tulku really grew on me and I've learned a lot about the Tibetan ways of Buddhism. I respect his no holds barred approach to the dharma. I also subscribe to various channels showcasing Thich Nhat Hanh videos, which is more of the Zen area of Buddhism. I also just recently subscribe to Moojiji... he's not Buddhist, but interesting talks nonetheless.

Haven't listened to Chodron's videos, but I just subscribed. Thanks for posting the link.
  • No problem :) Like with Brahm, I love Chodron's sense of humor and how she relates dharma to everyday life and situations. That and how gentle and calm she is. I'd love to meet and speak with her someday.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    ' While at work '......?
  • It's not youtube, but the mp3's of Thanissaro's talks have been my go-to source for a while. They are shorter, but they're a great prelude to meditation sessions.
  • Citta said:

' While at work '......?

I work for a computer games company as customer support. We're allowed music/youtube vids on in background while we work, as I'm not on the phone team :)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    My teacher posts most of his teachings on youtube, which is nice, especially when he posts retreat videos that I cannot make. He is gone in Asia 6 months a year, so I have those 6 months to catch up on the videos, and it's like he's not gone at all. I listen to random other teachers as well but there are so many hours of teachings from my teacher that it's about all I have regular time for.
  • karasti said:

My teacher posts most of his teachings on youtube, which is nice, especially when he posts retreat videos that I cannot make. He is gone in Asia 6 months a year, so I have those 6 months to catch up on the videos, and it's like he's not gone at all. I listen to random other teachers as well but there are so many hours of teachings from my teacher that it's about all I have regular time for.

Do you have a link to this? :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I also like Mooji. And I've listened to some other teachers I was introduced to here on NB.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    You might also want to check out http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube.
    Invincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @DotC
    Sure, here is his channel. He is a Tibetan Nyingma teacher, and his videos are mostly to supplement his students but perhaps you will find something you can use.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAVMsjUJLsqbVxn1XKahng
    Hopefully the link works, let me know if it doesn't.