Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How often do you exercise?

And how often do you eat junk food? (Chocolate, crisps, Take out food)

Comments

• Exercise: not nearly enough these days. I used to powerlift before my back and shoulder surgery. I used to run and mountain bike. I scaled down to circuit type training after the surgeries, but lately I've been remiss.

Junk food and take-out: too often. Cookies from the cafeteria at work occasionally; take-out, every other week or so. For me that's too often.
    zenmyste
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I either walk or bike to/from work every day, and I try to do yoga and calisthenics a couple of days a week.

As for junk food... my girlfriend is a great baker, so that probably answers that.
    zenmyste
  • I usually exercise with weights twice a week now-- I used to use dumb bells at home, though the past two weeks I've started a gym membership, doing 30 minute sessions. I only started exercising a year or so ago. I haven't done much cardio lately, but I'll get back round to it eventually. I'd like to start running again-- maybe when it cools down a bit. Exercise has cerainly helped my confidence.

Only in the past year have I again allowed myself to enjoy the occasional sweet (usually dark chocolate). I have also indulged in a soda here and there lately which I need to stop (can I just blame that on @Vastmind ? LOL). And I do have a weak spot for pizza.

For the most part, I've re-conditioned myself to snack in a healthier way, like fruit or (unsalted) nuts, and drinking plenty of hot tea. I can't get enough of blueberries. I've decided to go "full-time vegetarian" earlier this year-- whether or not it has helped me health-wise, I cannot say, but eating vegeterian I haven't found so difficult as I once thought.

I've only gotten more health conscious in the past three years. I used to not pay much attention to my eating habits or exercise because I have a rather high metabolism I think (though not as much at 43 as when I was 23!).
    zenmyste
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    At age 63 and with heart and foot problems, I still try to do a 2+ mile walk every other day.

Junk food...I hate to admit the answer to that, but less than I used to.
    zenmysteDharmaMcBum
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2013
    In my own defense...I'm not a junk pusher, hahaha, it's just we have
    gotten into the habit of stopping on the way back from our Monastery
    trip once a week. :D ....I usually get a milkshake...peanut butter cookie
    ( can I blame that on @riverflow) hahaha ..... My exercise/cardio is swimming
    a couple times a week...if the pool
    is closed, I try to switch to bike riding. My oldest daughter is learning to bake, so
    trying all her goodies lately has put some weight on me...I need to step up the
    cardio.
    riverflow
  • Well, about a month ago I started riding my bike that my friend gave me, almost every day, sometimes 2 times a day. But it's Monsoon season here, and it can get pretty nasty when it rains, and the fact that it rains just about EVERY DAY, doesn't make me go out on my bike anymore. But the one thing I do for workout, is I do sit-ups and and dumbells daily. Not much of an exercise, but still something :)

As for junk food, I live about 15 miles from the nearest town, and further from the closest fast food restaurant, so I RARELY ever get fast food unless I'm in town and SUPER hungry. I sometimes buy some chips or some things that aren't really healthy for you, but otherwise I do get things that are healthy. Eggs, milk, fruit, sometimes veggies, pasta, etc.
    zenmyste
  • wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Exercise...not enough though bike to work, groceries, errands, walk 2-x3 for 2-3 miles/wk in the winter snowboard 1-2 days/wk. Junk food not enough and just too much...got a damm donut shop a half a block down the alley...put on coffee, go there in my pajamas and coffee and warm donuts within 10 minutes of waking up...is there such a thing as donut yoga? btw just finished 1/2 blueberry swirl and 1/2 blueberry turnover first cup of coffee with Mrs.
    zenmysteJeffrey
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I've always gone to a gym regularly. Lately I go everyday for 30 - 60 min of cardio, which might be lap swimming, spinning class, Zumba class, or some cardio machine. Also do weight training every other day, and on the other day I do yoga and core.

Over about the last year I've tired to do a 'clean diet', and have been largely successful, but will occasionally junk out. :zombie:
    zenmyste
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I exercise in some form every day. Hiking, biking, walking/jogging, weights, boxing, mowing the lawn (reel mower and we live on a hill, lol). Whatever I can.
    I have a penchant for Surly beer and flaming hot cheetos (and flaming hot fries) but I've gotten to where those are my only real naughty foods. The only fast food we have in our town is Dairy Queen and Subway. McDonalds and anything else is an hour away, so that makes it easier. Though in the summer we have a fabulous small family owned custard shop that is hard to resist.
    I track my calories every day, it makes it harder for me to sit down and eat a handful of cookies or a bag of cheetos because I know I have to enter it in and see that I ate 860 calories of junk food (when my total base calories each day is 1400).

zenmyste
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    My family have a Treadmill and Cross trainer in our garage that I do use but not often enough really.

And I'm not going to lie I could binge eat for Britain.
    riverflowericcris10senKundo
  • Not enough and too much :) Like 80% of Western people.

Though I do enjoy walking, and I'm lucky enough to have a river valley and forest nearby to walk in, which is nice in summer but in the winter (which for the last few years in England has lasted 10 out of 12 months) I pretty much just sit around eating cake.
    vinlynriverflowericcris10sen
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    And I thought it was French queen who said, "Let them eat cake!" :D
    riverflowericcris10sen
  • Once a week we buy groceries. I have a six pack of beer and my mom and I share a box of cheez-its which are baked salted cheese crackers.

I work out for an hour 1-2 times a week. I do cardio sometimes and sometimes weights.
    We have a lot of winter too but at least here we get a lot of snow usually (though the temps get down into the negatives too often for my tastes) so we ski and snowshoe. That helps keep winter active and less nap and junk food worthy for me, lol. Last year was pretty bad though, I hurt my knee and couldn't do anything most of the winter. Even though I like winter well enough, snow on the ground for 6+ months a year gets to be too much. Things around here are only green about 4 months of the year and that gets hard to deal with, for me.
  • DaivaDaiva Veteran
    Everyday - a mix of cycling, running, hiking, weights, yoga - but I train to climb mountains.
    Am vegetarian, and junk food is a rarity - maybe twice a month (like a cupcake or cookies).
    I made a promise to myself not to have any potato chips (and nachos) until I climb Kilimanjaro. Have been chip-free two years and am maybe climbing Kili in 2015...
    Jeffrey
  • I work out about three times a week, if I'm lucky. I go to my gym and do a combination of cardio and weights. Otherwise, I walk the dogs.

I am a vegetarian, but not a vegan. I add protein in the form of whey and casein to keep me going. Although I must confess, I do rely on caffeine to some extent.
    riverflow
  • i run a 5K sometimes 8K everyday. then i go biking in the afternoons. my diet, more on greens but i must admit i do eat chicken for protein once in awhile *busted! :eek2:
  • I run five-or-six times a week; 35 to 45 miles per week. Last week I ran 43 according to my running log; 21 miles on Saturday in one go. I've got a tough mountain race; 17 miles in three weeks (Black Mountains fell race) and in November I've a tough marathon that is multi terrain, running around the Gower peninsular (South Wales UK).

I eat loads of junk food; I don't like eating on an empty stomach too.

I really need to sort my diet out!
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Since my diagnosis (May) I've reactivated a languishing gym membership and go three times a week for 40 mins cardio, 20 mins weights and stretching. This is to keep my motor skills in good condition and put off being in a wheelchair. But I confess I wouldn't mind killer abs and a 10kg reduction ;)

I also eat a low GI diet which involves six small meals a day. I confess when I first started it I was wary of eating more than I was used to. But I feel better for it - though I will sneak in some chocolate or gelato when no one is looking :)
    Jeffrey
    Yummmm gelato!

I miss running, but it's not worth further knee problems to do it. I've mostly replaced it with boxing and biking. Right now I'm doing P90X again and quite enjoying it. I thought I'd be bored since I've done it before, but so far so good. 1 month down, 2 to go. So right now I work out about an hour a day (1:15 on ab days) 6 days a week. But I sleep well at night!
  • I go to a gym a few times a week to do weight training and some cardio. I have a sweet tooth and usually eat something sugary every day and so try to eat as clean as possible to hopefully counteract the calories taken in by said sweet. Would love to get this sugary monkey off of my back though.
    Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited September 2013
    @Reborn - I hear you.

I've started cheating in a way. I buy protein snacks or Optislim choc fudge bars to eat and not gain lots of sugar and calories - although to be honest, the Optislim bars are a bit chalky (yes they're in date LOL)

In metta,
    Raven
    Be cautious with the so-called health bars. Most of them still have a lot of sugar in them. It's the only way to give them flavor, lol. It's easy to look at those bars and see "Oh, it has 11 grams of protein!" and snatch it up without noticing the 35 grams of sugar. There are some good ones, but they are generally pretty expensive, to the tune of $3-4 per bar as opposed to per box. I'm not familiar with the optislim bar, but a big one in the US is the Special K "protein" bars....which have only 4 grams of protein. You can get that from a Snickers, lol, and the Special K bars aren't that much better. Labrada is pretty good, most of their bars average 25 grams of protein and less than 10 grams of sugar. Different things work for different people, and just knowing you want to make changes is a big step. Just wanting to do it is usually the hard part, lol. Another thing to watch is often instead of sugar, companies use sugar alcohols to improve the taste without the sugar. They have to list them in the ingredients. This is what they make most diabetic candy out of, and if you eat more than a small portion, plan on spending some time on the toilet. Sugar alcohols have a laxative effect for most people.
    Kundo
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I ride a bike 100 miles (+/-) a week. I hate the gym (boring), but keep a membership that I mainly use in winter to keep in shape when riding opportunities diminish.

I'm in pretty good shape for a man my age (60).

My diet is terrifying.
    ToshInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I do 30 min's gym every 2nd day to keep a 58 year old bod up to levels that keep me from hurting too much on a physically demanding job and summer kayak expeditions.
    This is counterbalanced with a partner who often offers delicious junk food that matches my tendency to never say "no".
    Ovo lacto vegetarian since 19.
    Invincible_summer
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I exercise 3-4 times a week and I have been cutting down the sweet tooth, but it's been a difficult journey. However, it has definitely improved my mood when I didn't consume sweets and exercised.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    Exercise: I do various body weight workouts such as pull-ups, push-ups and sit-ups, and ride my bike to school 3.9 miles each way, almost daily.

Junk food: I only eat it when offered, otherwise I never go out of my way to buy it or eat it. I am trying to balance my diet so I can start getting better results in sleep, which in turn will improve my daily life.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2013
    I walk at least 3 miles a day, and eat junk food maybe once a week. Twice at the most. I've lost nearly 3 stone since June 12th (That's 42lbs to MFATP) and have toned up nicely, and built some muscle.
    At 56 years of age, I have no bingo wings. ;)
  • Goal is 30 minutes a day/5x week. Do well at times, other times don't carve it out of my busy schedule as I need to. Do all of it outdoors- biking when there isn't snow (both road and mountain bike), XC ski when conditions allow. I also do fairly regular walks, especially in the in-between seasons. I do need to add some weight work to my routine as I am getting older and should think about muscle loss.
  • @federica, 3 stone in three-and-a-bit months sounds extreme to me. Well done, but are you losing it safely? Maybe a slower, more graduated weight loss program would be better?

I could do with losing just one stone, and you'd think since I'm running on average around 40 miles a week that it would be easy. It's not. The more I run the more I eat.

I did 15 miles today, a lot of those miles were cross country and hills (I ran over the Wye Valley). Tomorrow I'm going to run seven miles on tired legs. I've a tough off-road coastal marathon around the Gower in October and I'm starting to feel under-prepared.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Yeah, that kind of weight loss doesn't sound sustainable. And it changes your metabolism to make it even more difficult to lose weight.