Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suggesting a gender box...

Would it be possible to have a male and female gender box to tick off in our profiles?

Maybe also an age range to check off- you know 13 -18, 19-25, 26-40, 40+

I'm often confused, especially if the person commenting is new or an infrequent visitor...

Just a thought.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I've always been in favor of a very brief bio box...like 4 sentences.
    MaryAnne
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We don't see the need....
    I think the point is to treat everyone as you'd like to be treated, and talk to people in a respectful, compassionate way.
    gender/age has no barriers in that respect.
    zombiegirlrivercaneInvincible_summerNirvana
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Really, you talk to everyone in a respectful and compassionate way? Don't worry, men have tougher skin. :D
    vinlynericcris10senSeveral
  • With time the genders come out. But it is funny when you think of someone as female and they are male! Or vice versa. We could have a thread for all the females and another where all males are announced?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Jeffrey said:

With time the genders come out. But it is funny when you think of someone as female and they are male! Or vice versa. We could have a thread for all the females and another where all males are announced?

Or... we could.... Not.
    zombiegirlInvincible_summerNirvanaVictorious
  • True. We could or we could not. Is there something wrong with doing it? I don't care either way.
  • Why does this even matter?
    Invincible_summer
  • What if I am a joyfulboy? Or a joyfulboygirl? How would you answer me then?
    VastmindmisterCopeInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Hypothetically you could answer (or not) however you felt comfortable. I might actually be Jeffina.

Another member brought it up is why the question has been raised. They could tell you better than I a reason for it mattering. We have in the past had a thread with age. It didn't cause a problem, but maybe sex is more of a problem. As I said I will participate just for fun and to see who is who.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I don't think gender is relevant. If you cannot tell whether someone is male or female based upon their post, then obviously it's not even relevant enough to the topic to be discernible. Any "insight" gained by knowing their sex is likely to just add to presumption because, of course... we all have A LOT of baggage when it comes to putting males and females into boxes.

The only thing I support is having a box for "underage" posters, but I feel like we've gone over this before and no one under 16 is even supposed to be on here... is that right?
    YaskanSabreInvincible_summer
  • I actually agree that age is important when giving advice on things. It might actually be very damaging to give wrong advice to someone underage.
  • But the gender box could be optinal so that those who wants to can cross of.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited August 2013

no one under 16 is even supposed to be on here... is that right?

The minimum age is 13 unless a parent consents. That's a US law.
    zombiegirl
  • poptart said:

Here's a few more categories:

hermaphrodites
    transexuals
    women who don't shave their pits
    men who wax their chests
    Big Brother rejects
    foetuses
    tomboys
    himbos
    prodigies
    pigeon fanciers

I don't even know what a himbo is.
  • YaskanYaskan Explorer
    edited August 2013
    I don't see how it's relevant. If it did get implemented (and that doesn't look likely) then it would need to be either voluntary, a box to write what you want or more options than simply male and female. There are many other genders in the world.
    EvenThird
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran

Maybe the best thing to do, in a particular thread if in a particular context where you feel it is information that might be useful, is to simply ask.

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Oh for Buddha's sake. It was just a harmless suggestion. I wasn't trying to pry into anyone's secret life behind the damn computer. I didn't suggest SS numbers.
    ::rolls eyes:::
  • Some people prefer to remain anonymous as to gender. I have no problem respecting that.
  • Dakini said:

Some people prefer to remain anonymous as to gender. I have no problem respecting that.

Well I never once assumed checking off the box in one's profile would need to be "mandatory"...
    MaryAnne said:

Oh for Buddha's sake. It was just a harmless suggestion. I wasn't trying to pry into anyone's secret life behind the damn computer. I didn't suggest SS numbers.

I guess this is why the move has never been implemented.
    because everyone is relaxed enough to deem it unnecessary.
    You can tell how relaxed they really are about it....

;)

:D

Invincible_summer
    I don't think it's an offensive or privacy invading suggestion, and it would be a bit daft if it is taken that way, but I don't think it has been.

P.S i'm not really a male cat! :D
    Shame.
    That would have been a first....
    @federica I can do a great miaow, but those cat biscuits... ugh, not for me
    :eek:
    Invincible_summer
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    This is the internet. Here we can be ageless, genderless, raceless, etc. I'd prefer to keep it that way, honestly.
    JeffreyEvenThird
  • Zayl said:

This is the internet. Here we can be ageless, genderless, raceless, etc. I'd prefer to keep it that way, honestly.

Yes. I wish more sites were set up this way. It's refreshing.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't see why it would be a problem if it were optional and not required. Those not wishing to fill out the information wouldn't have to. Honestly, there are topics where what I say might differ based on the age and/or gender of the person, just based on my experience at various stages in my life and based on my experience as an ovary-containing human.

I would personally find it helpful in certain cases. That doesn't mean I would choose not to talk to someone because of the information. But I would respond differently to someone who was 17 and reporting a problem than if someone who was 48 was having the same problem. I actually agree with what @vinlyn said about it would be nice to have a short section where we could write information about ourselves (or not).
    JeffreyMaryAnneriverflow
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    OK ... anybody who isn't a rich, sexy saint, raise your hands!
    Invincible_summer
  • Yaskan said:

I don't see how it's relevant. If it did get implemented (and that doesn't look likely) then it would need to be either voluntary, a box to write what you want or more options than simply male and female. There are many other genders in the world.

Not to derail the discussion, but just how many genders do you feel there are?
    vinlyn
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Aw, come on. I always wanted to be a 28 year old woman. :p
    DandelionSabre
  • Come to think of it in most other forums I have been on there is a box. Yet at the same time I have never ever checked something to give a different answer based on it. Hmmm...
  • Are we not men? No! We are Devo!
    Invincible_summerriverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I think we should also have: animal, mineral, and vegetable.. Myself being a vegetable, ha!

"I spy with my eye....... Is it a vegateable?.... Yes! Does it start with a J???.....Success! Yes.
    poptartkarasti
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I think we already have something like this. When you click on someone's username to see their profile, you will see things listed like:

Glow has changed his profile image.

Or

MaryAnne has updated her profile.

I believe we checked male/female when we registered, and the forum software uses that information to know which pronoun is applicable.
    VastmindpersonInvincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2013
    ^^^ Now that you mention it...yes, however that was under the activity
    button, and mine is no longer there ( after the latest changes)..is yours?
    Activity explained what actions people took, badges, who joined, etc.....

Edit....ok,now I see you have to click on a name to see activity now, as opposed
    to it being on the top bar...each persons activity is listed under their name
    instead of a master activity list with everyone's together.
  • MaryAnne said:

I am sorry if my post was defensive, I guess for me I imagined that all those helpless stereotypes of men and women would be relevant in our forum with this. For me discussing gender and things like that are very triggering. I should have watched my speach. Peace <3

• MaryAnne said:

I am sorry if my post was defensive, I guess for me I imagined that all those helpless stereotypes of men and women would be relevant in our forum with this. For me discussing gender and things like that are very triggering. I should have watched my speach. Peace

Not a problem. My comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. Just a general reaction to the paranoia in general.... ;)
    JoyfulGirlvinlyn
  • YaskanYaskan Explorer

Yaskan said:

To name a few which have been given names there's:
    Cisgender - having the same gender as the sex assigned at birth.
    Transgender - FTM, MTF, F/MTN (sometimes people use 2 instead of the T)
    F= female, M = male and N = Neutrois*
    Genderqueer - an umbrella term, but also a non-binary gender identity by itself and has a political connotation.
    Bi/Trigender - shifts between 2/3 distinct (A to B) female, male or non-binary gender identities.
    Genderfluid - non-static gender. Similar to above, but less 'A to B'.
    Agender - being neither male nor female, but having a gender of some sort.
    Genderless - no gender at all.
    *Neutrois - a neutral gender (they usually feel strong gender dysphoria and so wish to have some form of hormone treatment or surgery, hence I put them in the transgender section).
    Androgyne - androgynous. Sometimes described as simultaneously both male and female.
    DandelionJoyfulGirlriverflowpyramidsong
  • This discussion is funny to me :P
    Beej
    ...And not only to you. ;)
    Nirvana
  • Yaskan said:

To name a few which have been given names there's:
    Cisgender - having the same gender as the sex assigned at birth.
    Transgender - FTM, MTF, F/MTN (sometimes people use 2 instead of the T)
    F= female, M = male and N = Neutrois*
    Genderqueer - an umbrella term, but also a non-binary gender identity by itself and has a political connotation.
    Bi/Trigender - shifts between 2/3 distinct (A to B) female, male or non-binary gender identities.
    Genderfluid - non-static gender. Similar to above, but less 'A to B'.
    Agender - being neither male nor female, but having a gender of some sort.
    Genderless - no gender at all.
    *Neutrois - a neutral gender (they usually feel strong gender dysphoria and so wish to have some form of hormone treatment or surgery, hence I put them in the transgender section).
    Androgyne - androgynous. Sometimes described as simultaneously both male and female.

I suppose I opened the door to that one.
    Dandelionriverflow
    Eh, I may do this. There's an "unspecified" option in any case. I may also put birthday back in profiles at some point. Trying to fry some larger fish at the moment, so to speak.
    zombiegirl
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    So does "unspecified" mean bi or that they have never checked?
    poptart
  • CittaCitta Veteran

I dunno... I enjoy my gender anonymity. You guys will never know! :orange:

Same here. I am the most grateful man on the foru...whoops.
    DandelionFullCircle

I dunno... I enjoy my gender anonymity. You guys will never know! :orange:

Don't you mean :zombie: ?

zombiegirl
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    People are a funny species. :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    It seems to me that there should be three boxes, not just two.

Aren't we forgetting about the sockpuppets?
    riverflow