Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pins and needles/pain

Hello!

I have very stiff legs and have mostly meditated sitting on a chair, I bought a meditation stool so I can try sitting on the floor, I begin getting pins and needles as soon as I start, this becomes quite painful but is bearable because I only sit for 15 minutes, I wouldn't be able to sit for any longer and I do intend on sitting for longer periods at some point.....

I don't know whether to stick it out with the hope that my legs will get used to the position or return the stool while I can get my money back?

I would really appreciate some advice

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Can you add just five minutes of circulation enhancing yoga or qi ong? Or some prostrations? this will help.
    taiyaki
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Is the meditation stool padded or just hard? Perhaps try adding a cushion or a sort if it's not? I would also listen to lobster's advice and see if it makes a difference for you.
    Pins and needles can mean that you're compressing a nerve or constricting blood flow, neither of which are things you should try to ignore although I often hear Buddhists talk about trying to push through those sensations... but as a massage therapist, I think I just have a different opinion.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    if you are distracted by pain, then it's going to impact how much you gain in meditation (well, for me it would!) You might want to use a chair or a more comfortable position and in the mean time do as @lobster suggested and do exercises/practices to help with your circulation and flexibility. I had knee surgery in December, and I can only sit for a period with my legs crossed. So when my knee acts up, I use a chair, or I just extend my leg. My meditation benefits more when I am comfortable than when I am trying to push through pain. It won't do any good to risk causing other damage to the body.

• karasti said:

My meditation benefits more when I am comfortable than when I am trying to push through pain.

That is important.
    You are not trying to get a body high by turning pain into pleasure, that is the domain of sado-masochism and flagellation (which I am told is a lot of fun but not my thing) . . . You might try a calf muscle massage if you are not too overweight.
    Smoke? Don't.

These foods will improve your circulation.
    http://www.revitive.com/health-information/foods-to-improve-circulation/

Yoga nidra has a tense and then relax component (some forms) and you can do this laying down as a power nap or before sleep . . . that will be healthy, improve your sleep and circulation. You can get tapes, CD's, MP3 and apps that will guide you through yoga nidra.

What is the reason for moving out of a chair? Are you trying to be a lotus? Want to impress your local abbot? No need, lotus in chair is still a flower . . . :om:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    gracelee said:

I have very stiff legs and have mostly meditated sitting on a chair, I bought a meditation stool so I can try sitting on the floor, I begin getting pins and needles as soon as I start, this becomes quite painful but is bearable because I only sit for 15 minutes, I wouldn't be able to sit for any longer and I do intend on sitting for longer periods at some point.....

Assuming you've tried various positions with the stool and it hasn't solved the problem, then get your money back and use a chair. A chair is fine. The point of meditation is to develop the mind, not to do yogic contortions or suffer physical discomfort.