Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone have this problem?

I didnt know it had a name. I thought I was just shy.

Silouan

Comments

• i had this at one point in time i dont know if i grew out of it or just got over it but it dose happen to alot of ppl
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Everyone reacts differently to situations. It doesn't always mean you have a mental disorder. Normal isn't always desirable. I prefer not to interact with a lot of society. I'm not shy. I just prefer not to waste my time with the vast amount of fools that surround me where I live. I'd rather spend one day a week with people who use intelligence and compassion in their lives than just be able to say I interact with people I don't even care to interact with.

Obviously there are people who truly do have anxiety disorders. But not everyone who is why or doesn't like people has anxiety disorder. If you are concerned, then see a doctor/therapist. Don't use youtube to diagnose yourself. One can read or watch online and diagnose themselves with half the mental disorders out there, and any other variety of medical disorders.

Sometimes it seems to me that people sometimes are glad to name a problem they have because it makes them unaccountable for dealing with it. I'm not saying anyone in the video, or the OP or anyone in particular does this. But I think there is something to be said for learning to accept ourselves and love ourselves instead of being in a hurry to determine that we are not normal and "Whew, at least something is wrong with me."
    MaryAnneJainarayan
  • karasti said:

I prefer not to interact with a lot of society. I'm not shy. I just prefer not to waste my time with the vast amount of fools that surround me where I live. I'd rather spend one day a week with people who use intelligence and compassion in their lives than just be able to say I interact with people I don't even care to interact with.

I am the same way. I prefer to be alone, in a quiet setting. I avoid social gatherings whenever I can [weasle out]. I do have a degree of general anxiety, and social awkwardness, but I can function if necessary. I just prefer not to.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I had this through out most of high school until the middle of last year (My junior year.) To me, social anxiety is mostly from fearing other peoples opinions of you. After I started to branch out and started gaining strength in my own opinions and feelings, it started to go away.
  • jlljll Veteran
    it usually takes someone who has suffered from the problem
    to understand another.

in my lifetime, i have not met anyone who "Sometimes it seems to me that people sometimes are glad to name a problem they have because it makes them unaccountable for dealing with it." yet.

it is true that there is a spectrum of severity
    in such a mental disorder.

the difference is, can you get on with your life without too much problem?
    i understand because i have been there.
    with or without a diagnosis, a sufferer usually know that they are not 'normal'.
    I will recommend kindness and understanding, not judgement.
    karasti said:

Everyone reacts differently to situations. It doesn't always mean you have a mental disorder. Normal isn't always desirable. I prefer not to interact with a lot of society. I'm not shy. I just prefer not to waste my time with the vast amount of fools that surround me where I live. I'd rather spend one day a week with people who use intelligence and compassion in their lives than just be able to say I interact with people I don't even care to interact with.

Obviously there are people who truly do have anxiety disorders. But not everyone who is why or doesn't like people has anxiety disorder. If you are concerned, then see a doctor/therapist. Don't use youtube to diagnose yourself. One can read or watch online and diagnose themselves with half the mental disorders out there, and any other variety of medical disorders.

Sometimes it seems to me that people sometimes are glad to name a problem they have because it makes them unaccountable for dealing with it. I'm not saying anyone in the video, or the OP or anyone in particular does this. But I think there is something to be said for learning to accept ourselves and love ourselves instead of being in a hurry to determine that we are not normal and "Whew, at least something is wrong with me."

JeffreySilouanMaryAnne
  • While listening to the various people describe their pain and suffering it brought tears to my eyes, because I do know how they feel when it manifests. I have had it since early childhood, and did not know there was a name for it until I was diagnosed as an adult. My mother has it, her mother had it, and my daughter has it and it is very painful for me to see her suffer through it.

It is normal to have a degree of fear and nervousness, because it is part of our survival mechanism, but it is not normal to be overly sensitive where it causes inhibition and is debilitating, and the person who suffers from it comes to know that something not normal is occurring.

Having a name for it and being diagnosed are crucial in helping understand what is occurring in order to begin a coping or healing process, but since there are both chemical and behavior factors it’s not like waking up one day and deciding to have an attitude adjustment where everything will be fixed, so for many it’s a lifelong process of healing but no complete cure.

We don’t want to keep feeling the way they do, and that is one of the reasons it is so painful along with a very pronounced feeling at times that we are most alone when facing it. We are both courageous and desperate people, spirits crying for relief and not excuses.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    karasti said:

So if for example someone were diagnosed with arthritis that would somehow make them unaccountable for dealing with it?

You may have a thought here but it doesn't seem complete yet. Maybe you'd care to finish it.
  • Yes and I have had it for a long time now, I had diagnosed anxiety disorder from the age of 12 but it turned into social anxiety (quite a severe case) after an acid trip when I was 19. I have had times where I have only gone outside 3 times across for 4 months or whatever. It sucks but you just have to deal with it and approach it with wisdom.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited August 2013
    i feel like this video just makes everything worse. I can cope with it when rude people but when i see people like that who have made their livelihood around it its kinda weird whether or not they have good intentions. watching the documentary i felt anxious.
  • how can one person have lot of disorders as i diagnosed myself such as ocd and bipolar, and i now have symptoms of social anxiety disorder as well.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013
    The trick is not to diagnose yourself.... that's why we have well-trained psychologists/ psychiatrists and doctors. :) See one, talk honestly and frankly, ask a lot of questions, answer a lot of questions, and then leave the diagnosing to those trained to do so.
    Jainarayan
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

The trick is not to diagnose yourself.... that's why we have well-trained psychologists/ psychiatrists and doctors. :) See one, talk honestly and frankly, ask a lot of questions, answer a lot of questions, and then leave the diagnosing to those trained to do so.

Hear hear. A refreshing outbreak of good sense from MaryAnne as usual.
  • absolute said:

how can one person have lot of disorders as i diagnosed myself such as ocd and bipolar, and i now have symptoms of social anxiety disorder as well.

Sometimes they manifest as a cluster. I'm bipolar 2 hypomanic/depressive, diagnosed with ocpd, general anxiety disorder and social anxiety. I said earlier I can function but I prefer not to, not wanting to risk some kind of faux pas or humiliation. I haven't been diagnosed as having Asperger's, but I have most of the signs of it. Considering I correctly diagnosed myself as bp, ocpd and gad (confirmed by psychiatrist and psychologists), I seem to be in tune with my body and mind. But as @MaryAnne points out, it's generally unwise to diagnose oneself, especially without a follow-up with a professional.
  • yep it is true that diagnose oneself is unwise ,but sometimes it is mostly possible if you have big atypical thoughts or ritual something like that. 4 months before i didn't know about what is ocd and any disorders. before that i couldn't explain my signs such as thoughts that always say if you don't do it 3 times or 4 times you will suffer from this and that etc ,and then i asked about this thought from yahoo answers; someone responded my question and that is called ocd and then i googled it i was shocked that i am not only one who do this stupid rituals and have this panic like thoughts. maybe other disorders' diagnoses are wrong and they are maybe related to ocd.
    We aren't talking about arthritis, we are talking about social/anxiety issues.
    I know several people who do that-who look for a reason to be able to say they are not like everyone else, and then use it to excuse themselves from various duties or social obligations. As I said in my first post, obviously there are true problems within social anxiety. I'm not saying they do not exist. I lived with someone for a long time who had severe social anxiety and panic attacks. I know they are real. I know how debilitating it can be.

I also know several people who without bothering to seek help, self-diagnose themselves with something and then use it as a reason to not take care of things in their lives. I have a cousin who refuses to take our grandma shopping because she claims to have social anxiety, yet she spends 12 hours a day working at the bar. It's just an excuse and a way for her to get out of being accountable because she knows she should be helping her grandma and she doesn't, so she makes an excuse that she buys herself to get out of it. I know multiple people who are similar (but not as extreme). They are plenty social when it comes to having fun....but not to upholding responsibility.

Not everyone who isn't quite like everyone else, has something they need to be treated for. That exact line of thinking is exactly why we have millions of kids on ADD drugs, some of whom need them, some of whom don't, yet they cannot attend school without the drugs to make them act like everyone else. There is a vast difference between not normal to the point you cannot function, cannot get to work, cannot see family and do other normal things...and finding every single thing about yourself that is different and thus unacceptable and needs to be fixed so that you can be like everyone else.

My comment was not at all directed at people who are in need of medical help and get it. It was of the general trend of our society to somehow place something/someone as "normal" and use it as a benchmark to judge ourselves to the point of over-medicating ourselves when it's not needed. The more drug companies put out drugs (and thus marketing and advertising associated with those drugs) the more people are diagnosed with the various things that those drugs treat. I don't think nearly as many people as are treating with medications for depression, anxiety, and ADD truly need to be medicated for it. But we've bought into what we are told that something is wrong with us because we aren't the life of the party portrayed in the commercials, we work better by walking than sitting still as school tells us to, and so on.
    MaryAnne
  • blu3ree said:

i feel like this video just makes everything worse. I can cope with it when rude people but when i see people like that who have made their livelihood around it its kinda weird whether or not they have good intentions. watching the documentary i felt anxious.

I came across this video maybe 2 years ago and for me it explains how social anxiety is for people who suffer from it to people who do not have it in the best possible way. Even though it is dated it is bang on the money IMO, coming from someone who has a severe for of social anxiety it does depict the disorder well. I had to leave university in my second year even though I was going to graduate because of this crap. If you have it properly it is a crippling disorder, it really messes up your life and gets in the way of everything. I even was anxious around family and in my early teens dodged seeing my grandmother because of it, when she died I felt terrible. Even at the funeral I sat in the car whilst everyone was at in the Church and just cried, it really is something that needs more coverage and help from science. Simply covering it up with pills only masks it and makes it worse, that is what I am doing now but I have been self medicating from the age of 14.
    Jeffrey
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I was diagnosed with SAD a couple of years ago. If I had to interact with people I didn't know, my heartbeat would shoot up. If I was late for something, I just wouldn't show because I couldn't deal with being late and having to explain myself. I eventually ended up skipping class and labs a lot in university because, for one reason or another, I couldn't deal with being in a class with other people. It caused me to almost fail my classes and get on academic probation.

I feel like SAD is almost like an inflammation of the ego. You think that everyone is scrutinizing you and watching what you are doing; that people are constantly judging you. But 90% of the time, people aren't even paying attention.
    Jeffrey
    SAD=seasonal affective disorder
    GAD=generalized anxiety disorder

SAD is generally depression that occurs during the winter months largely due to limited access to outdoors and sunshine (vitamin D often). Very different from anxiety disorder.

karasti said:

We aren't talking about arthritis, we are talking about social/anxiety issues.

It's easy to sympathize with what you can see and readily imagine feeling. Not so easy to sympathize with what you can't see or imagine.

Nuf-said. :-/
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    karasti said:

SAD=seasonal affective disorder
    GAD=generalized anxiety disorder

SAD is generally depression that occurs during the winter months largely due to limited access to outdoors and sunshine (vitamin D often). Very different from anxiety disorder.

:lol: yes it is! I was too lazy to type Social Anxiety Disorder... didn't really think about the other SAD.
    LOL! I didn't think about social anxiety, either! Sorry about that. Seasonal affective disorder is incredibly common where I live because we are in a far northern latitude, so that is what I think of all the time.

@Nevermind you assume I don't know people who have arthritis. I do. It's just not what we were talking about. You don't know what I do or don't see and/or experience in my life. I know and have lived for many years with someone who suffered severe clinical depression and severe anxiety. I have relatives who are schizophrenic, bipolar, and autistic. My grandma has severe osteoarthritis and osteoperosis and I'm involved in her care every day. So yes, I know what suffering is and I do understand it even in cases where I do not experience it personally. I never said the people who suffer are kidding themselves. I never said they don't have anxiety disorders. I know that they do. But I do think that as a western society especially we also suffer from constantly comparing ourselves to some vague and skewed idea of what is normal and when we see anything that deviates from that we feel a need to fix ourselves so that we are closer to that definition of normal. And I don't think we should do it as much as we do. That doesn't mean I think that people with actual disorders don't have them or shouldn't get treated for them. But it also doesn't mean everyone who is shy has anxiety disorder.
    MaryAnne
    edited August 2013
    Not sure if you're getting my point, Karasti. My impression from what you write is basically that you don't think 'shyness' or whatever is much of a big deal, hence it is not comparable to a real health issue like arthritis.

People can go much further than being merely unsympathetic, they can be cruel. To clarify, I'm not saying you're unsympathetic or cruel. I am saying that it's difficult or impossible to sympathize with something that you can't see or feel.
    It's not impossible. Far from it.
    And no, I in no way think any mental health disorder is somehow less of a problem than a physical health issue. I know how difficult it is for people who experience it. Because I've lived with it. But that still does not mean that every single person who is a bit shy, who is introverted, who is nervous in social situations has a mental disorder. Many, many people are treated for things that doctors have no business treating them for (because they are not doctors who are experienced in diagnosing such things). There is a difference between personality traits and mental disorders. The only person who can, or should be distinguishing between the 2 is a person trained in mental health fields. Not family doctors. Not the person themselves who had a skewed definition of what is normal based on youtube videos and 5 point checklists on drug websites.

My problem with this whole discussion is what the OP originally said. Now, I in NO way know the OP or whether or not he/she has a recognized social anxiety disorder that needs treatment. If they feel they do, then by all means they should seek help and treatment. And that is every bit as real and as difficult as cancer or arthritis or anything else and I feel greatly for someone who experiences such struggle and pain just trying to get through daily life.

BUT. The harm can come when someone sees a video like this and says "wait, all my life I've lived thinking I was shy and really there is something WRONG with me?" Is there *always* really something wrong with them? No. Sometimes, yes, and they should take it seriously and get help. But too often a person suddenly will start believing something is wrong with them because they see something like this. What they should do is seek help. But what many of them do is say "Oh, whew. See family/friends? There is something wrong with me! This is what is wrong with me!" yet they never seek help. Most people who truly understand there is something wrong that they need help with, seek it. Not everyone has something wrong with them. yet, if you watch enough videos, enough commercials, read enough WebMD...you will inevitably find there are a lot of things "wrong" with you.

I saw this because I went through it. Someone suggested to me that maybe I had an anxiety disorder. So I started reading up online, and I freaked myself out. I thought "wow, I guess I do have something. I mean, a lot of these symptoms online I do experience." And I looked for help. And what I found was, that really I'm fine. There are situations I like and dislike. There are some I manage quite well and some I avoid. But the bottom line *for me* was that it was not impacting my life in a way that I needed to have fixed. I went to work and functioned fine. I had no problems with my friendships and other things. But because I avoid crowds, parties, and concerts, and because I don't like meeting new people and new social situations, and because I feel a need to prepare myself for situations that are upcoming, and because even once in a while I avoid a new restaurant (until someone who has been there will go with me) because I don't know their protocol....it made me feel something was wrong with me. There isn't. I'm just me. I manage my life quite well. This in NO WAY means I expect this is the case for everyone! It just was the case for me, and I suspect is the case for others who feel those quirks in their life means something is wrong with them because they can ding them off on an internet checklist sponsored by a drug company.
    Most people who truly understand there is something wrong that they need help with, seek it.
    :p People who understand shyness know that there is no cure for it.
    Why are you so focused on the shyness aspect? It's a very small part of the social anxiety spectrum (though obviously can have a big impact on someone's life) I never said someone who was shy should seek medical help. I said someone who thinks they have a problem that has such a heavy impact on their life should seek help. That can include someone who is shy, even if there is not necessarily a medication that will make it disappear. We can train ourselves out of shyness, at least to a degree. In much the same way people with phobias must face them to work on getting over them.
  • The cure to being cold or hot is to be cold and then be hot. It's actually a zen koan I think @taiyaki shared that with me.

And I have come upon the spectrum of shyness. In highschool I was scared to even say hi to someone. Another classmate said I was 'beat down'. As I aged I learned to just say nothing and open out to the silence. The chatterboxes will always fill in the gaps. It's the lack of confidence not the silence that hurts. :ninja:
    edited August 2013
    karasti said:

Why are you so focused on the shyness aspect?

Sorry, I thought it was relevant to the topic.
    It's a very small part of the social anxiety spectrum (though obviously can have a big impact on someone's life)
    I'm not sure what you mean, shyness is social anxiety. I found a test to see where I stand on the spectrum though:

Social Phobia Inventory Test
    My score was 37 out of a possible 68.
    Scores in the 31 - 40 range indicate moderate anxiety.
    I never said someone who was shy should seek medical help.
    ???
    We can train ourselves out of shyness, at least to a degree. In much the same way people with phobias must face them to work on getting over them.
    To a degree, sure.
    edited August 2013
    Shyness is a part of it, for sure. It is not the whole by any means. I was just confused on why you keep bringing it up specifically as if I am not addressing it. And my score on the same test is 36. But that's exactly what I'm talking about. My life is fine how it is. I don't miss out on things I wish i could participate in, I don't have problems with work or other things. So, should I take that test saying I am moderately anxious to a doctor and get treatment for something that to me is not a problem, but now the test is trying to make it sound like I am not normal? The test is poorly done. I am quite introverted, so a lot of the things can apply to someone who is simply more introverted and not socially anxious. Also, there are things I don't like, like parties, but they don't *scare* me. It's those exact kinds of tests that bring people to believe something is wrong with them when if they are worried about something being wrong, then they should seek help. Not quizzes put together by high schools kids studying psychology and posting tests on the internet.

This is from the about us section of the website that posted the quiz....this is the exact point I am trying to make.

We are not medical or psychiatric professionals. The information provided on this website is for educational and entertainment purposes only. The assessments on this website are not intended to diagnose any disease or condition and should not be solely relied on, even by mental health or health care professionals, for this or any similar purpose.

No one except a trained mental health professional can diagnose or treat a psychological condition. If you have any concerns about your health, please talk to a professional.
    edited August 2013
    karasti said:

Shyness is a part of it, for sure. It is not the whole by any means.

Not the whole of what? The OP specifically mentions shyness.
    And my score on the same test is 36. But that's exactly what I'm talking about. My life is fine how it is. I don't miss out on things I wish i could participate in, I don't have problems with work or other things.
    People adapt to their conditions and can live happy lives with a wide range of disabilities. Disabilities are nevertheless limiting and cause suffering.
    So, should I take that test saying I am moderately anxious to a doctor and get treatment for something that to me is not a problem,
    It might be a good idea in the sense of being proactive. But there's not really much they can do anyway. I think people like us would be better off studying and working through it ourselves, if we were motivated to do so.
    but now the test is trying to make it sound like I am not normal?
    I don't know how you get that.
    The test is poorly done. I am quite introverted, so a lot of the things can apply to someone who is simply more introverted and not socially anxious. Also, there are things I don't like, like parties, but they don't *scare* me.
    This doesn't make sense. An introvert who's not socially anxious would not score 36 on the test.
    It does make sense. Because, for example, take parties. It's pretty common that introverts don't like crowds and parties. That doesn't make them socially anxious about them. There's just this belief that everyone should like parties and those who don't are somehow abnormal. Not true.
    As I said in a previous post, I *did* try to seek help after taking such tests. It actually made me anxious to think I had something wrong with me and that I wasn't normal when I thought I was fine the whole time. The only thing they wanted to do was give me drugs, so I left without taking drugs and my life carried on just fine when I realized I am okay how I am. There IS nothing limiting in my life and I don't consider it a disability whatsoever. I don't sit home wishing I could do something that I don't do because it makes me feel too anxious. I'm not missing out on a single thing.

Anyhow, I'm just going to stop wit the discussion. I don't think you'll ever get what I am trying to say and I'm tired of trying to explain it. I just hope people who really need help, get it so that their lives can be happy and free from constant worry and stress, and that people who feel abnormal just because a video or an online test says they are, will accept themselves and realize it's ok to be different from "normal".
    karasti said:

It does make sense. Because, for example, take parties. It's pretty common that introverts don't like crowds and parties. That doesn't make them socially anxious about them.

I took the test answering the questions as someone who's an introvert and not socially anxious. The score was 14. :-/
    edited August 2013
    Just nevermind, @Nevermind.