Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism is like a math problem....

Is this Buddhism?

Compassion + Kindness + Selflessness + Respect for Life in all forms = Buddhism
(1) + (1) + (1) + (1) = (4)

Or is this Buddhism?

12,000 pages of known Sutras; 14 translations of the 8 Fold Path; Untold number of interpretations of the (first) 5 precepts; The (other) 5 precepts for Buddhist monks & nuns; 3 major traditions of Buddhism; Religious Buddhism; Koans; Secular Buddhism; Several methods of meditation; No (formal) meditation at all; Hundreds of Deities, Demons and other mystical beings; Karma; Rebirth; Hell Realms, Reincarnation; Etc. Etc.. = Buddhism (4)

Some people prefer simple, uncomplicated math problems; like 1+1+1+1 = 4
Some people prefer long, complicated, puzzling word problems to mull over, dissect, translate and eventually whittle down into the basic message (numbers). But in the end the (correct) answers are the same, aren't they?

Yeah, So..... I'll take my Buddhism as a simple 1+1+1+1 = 4 way of living, thanks.

I'll leave all that reading, translating, puzzling and whittling to those that enjoy that sort of thing. But just remember, you don't get any extra Buddha Points for choosing the word problem over the simple problem. Because in the end, the answers are the same, so just Live it. * Be the Buddha! *
lobsterVastmindriverflowDavidWisdom23karmablues

Comments

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Keep it simple and practical.
    I agree.
  • I do both :)
    riverflowVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I always say, 4 + 8 + 5 = 17 ≡ 1
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Actually the equation is:

Eightfold Path = Buddhism
    ToshThailandTomkarmablues
  • edited August 2013
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I think the equation is:

Ethical life (whatever that means to each of us) + Wisdom (meditation) + Compassion = Buddhism

I think it's that simple, but we humans like to complicate stuff.

(It's the three parts of the eightfold path)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Sometimes

Buddhism is the (all is one AND the all is different).

Unrestrained by mind or math.

lobsterfixingjulian
  • Heart Sutra = subtract
    Dependent origination = multiply
    Metta = add
    sectarianism or poopooing others = division
    Vastmind
  • Nevermind said:

Yea if you want to turn it into an mathematical equation then 8 is the answer. Your 1+1+1+1=4 theory is flawed, there is nothing to do with meditation, right effort, wisdom etc. Sure compassion can come from meditation and wisdom, but 1+1+1+1= a decent person who is half way there.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Although many Buddhists don't like the Dalai Llama, He preaches that same idea of simplicity. "This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."
    lobsterMaryAnne
  • Wonderful answers guys. :bowdown:

In Yinyana Buddhism, which I was thrown out of for starting, we have a formula (above image):
    It describes how 'emptiness is form and form is emptiness' is the infinite question/answer, constantly divided by the discursive mind set, dividing three things that are one too into two more.

Knock yourself out. ;)
    personDavid
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

Is this Buddhism?

Compassion + Kindness + Selflessness + Respect for Life in all forms = Buddhism
    (1) + (1) + (1) + (1) = (4)

Or is this Buddhism?

12,000 pages of known Sutras; 14 translations of the 8 Fold Path; Untold number of interpretations of the (first) 5 precepts; The (other) 5 precepts for Buddhist monks & nuns;

They both are! But, the 12,000 pages tell you how to get compassion, kindness, wisdom, etc. that are in the first equation. They also tell you when you are deluding yourself into thinking you have compassion, kindness, wisdom, etc, when you actually don't.

karastiJeffreykarmablues
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    What value does suchness have? I'd say zero.

If that's the case how does the math work when you multiply or divide with suchness?
    lobster
  • You mean suchness is the same as emptiness and emptiness is a form of 'suchness'? Neither less than, more than or equal to its being? <> or >< or <=> . . . why 'tis almost like a diamond Dorje . . .
    . . a couple of those and we have the whole of existence in our grasp . . .

OM MANI PEME HUM
    (do the maths)
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Cory said:

Although many Buddhists don't like the Dalai Llama...

Is this true? Why?

Also, 1+1=1. There's a word for when you plus another person equals one, that word is love.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Buddhism= a number of social constructs with various cultural overtones.
    'Buddhism' as a single entity doesn't exist.
  • It would say it does if you ignore all the various social constructs and cultural overtones.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    That is like saying that a person is a fixed entity if you ignore the skandhas.
    A person is a provisional and dependant arising of conditions.
    As is ' Buddhism '.
    As a convention we say that a leaf is green and that it turns red in Autumn...
    But that is just a convention.
    There is in reality no leaf apart from its changing characteristics.....A leaf is not a 'thing'. It is a process. As are we. As is ' Buddhism '.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

But in the end the (correct) answers are the same, aren't they?

How do you know what the correct answer is?
  • MaryAnne said:

PEACE. (in the truest, most personal sense of the word)
    lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The answer is the same but that answer can be divided infinitely.

I like them both because as long as the first understanding is there, the second shouldn't get too lost.

Wisdom and compassion should always be able to guide one another.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2013

Nevermind said:

Yea if you want to turn it into an mathematical equation then 8 is the answer. Your 1+1+1+1=4 theory is flawed, there is nothing to do with meditation, right effort, wisdom etc. Sure compassion can come from meditation and wisdom, but 1+1+1+1= a decent person who is half way there.
    Did you guys mean to do that? 1+1+1+1 does equal 4 but the 4 also equals the 8 which divides the 1 infinitely.

@MaryAnne;

"Compassion + Kindness + Selflessness + Respect for Life in all forms"

Aren't the last three just different aspects of the first?

MaryAnnelobster
  • Breath in - breath out, gently and the rest follows naturally. that is Buddhism for me.

I do study the suttas/sutras but that is because i enjoy so. i was originally put off so because there are quite a few differences between the different sects.
  • Right view is a toughie. That's why there are so many tools. My teacher says that the whole dharma is to give us confidence.
    lobster
  • In the Pali Canon, the teachings of the Buddhas have been summed up in the Dhammapada as follows: "To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to purify one's mind - this is the teaching of the Buddhas".

Thus, Buddhism = avoid evil + cultivate good + purify one's mind

In the Majjhima Nikaya, the Buddha also declared as follows: "I teach only suffering and the end of suffering."

Thus, Buddhism = what is suffering + how to end suffering (or in other words, Buddhism = the four noble truths)

Personally, the summary of the Buddhist practice that resonates with me most is:
    Buddhism = sila (virtue) + samadhi (concentration) + panna (wisdom)
    Jeffrey
    MaryAnne said:

MaryAnne said:

Yes, that's certainly worth aiming for. My point though was that people think in different ways about the goal of Buddhist practice. So for one person it might be true peace, for another a better quality of life, for another the end of personal suffering, for another enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings, for another rebirth in a Pureland, and so on. So perhaps it's a very individual thing, with no "correct" answer.
    lobsterJeffrey
    Wisdom23 said:

I do study the suttas/sutras but that is because i enjoy so. i was originally put off so because there are quite a few differences between the different sects.

Yes, it can be quite confusing at times. Though one of the things I've always liked about Buddhism is the sheer diversity, like there is something for every taste. ;)
    lobsterDavid
  • MaryAnne said:

MaryAnne said:

Yes, that's certainly worth aiming for. My point though was that people think in different ways about the goal of Buddhist practice. So for one person it might be true peace, for another a better quality of life, for another the end of personal suffering, for another enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings, for another rebirth in a Pureland, and so on. So perhaps it's a very individual thing, with no "correct" answer.

Once one attains whatever they are seeking (from Buddhist practices), they will have Peace.
    Inner peace -- AKA: satisfaction; happiness; release from suffering; no more craving, etc. Even if they never attain the pinnacle level of 'enlightenment' they may seek, or that guaranteed ticket to Pureland or a fortunate rebirth/reincarnation... they can still feel they did a hellova good job living this life the best way they could-

So the way I see it, It can all culminate into a profound and personal inner Peace.
    riverflow
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2013
    ^^^ True. I like that.......right now...I see it that way too!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013
    A number's game.

Dreaming of a Buddhist blackboard,
    where skandhas play with chalk.
    Endless figures for endless mind play,
    ignoring that dammed alarm clock.
    MaryAnne
    edited August 2013
    MaryAnne said:

So the way I see it, It can all culminate into a profound and personal inner Peace.

Inner peace would be a bonus for me, but it's never been my main motivation for practice. Like I said, it's difficult to generalise about peoples' motivation for Buddhist practice - not least because that changes over time.

• Not everybody like Maths!