Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cut foot

I got a cut on my foot last Saturday. I saw the doctor and he gave me a weak of keflex and the wound is healing. I am puzzled because the bottle runs out this morning but the wound still hasn't fully healed. Do I need to go to the med station tomorrow and get some? I'm thinking probably not because though the wound is not fully healed probably the part near the blood is covered.

Comments

• Keflex is an antibiotic, and if you keep the wound clean now, I don't see why you need it all the way until it's completely healed. Doctors don't always or routinely proscribe antibiotics for any would, unless it's dirty or something.

But is there some reason you didn't just call the doctor to ask?
  • Thanks Cinorjer. It's been bandaged up for an entire week so I thought the same as you, basically.

I could call the doctor tomorrow but they are already home for the day. I just noticed the Keflex is out. You are right that it is an anti-biotic. They gave it to me because it was a pretty good cut I was able to do.

I guess I'll try calling tomorrow but it is Saturday so maybe the office is closed. I'm almost sure not to worry about it and just keep an eye for redness around the cut. It wouldn't be the same doc that gave me the keflex because that was in the town I was at for vacation with family. I cut it walking home from a camp fire.

• @Jeffrey! You don't know how worried I was that I was going to open this thread and be hit in the face with a picture of your poor, cut foot!! OMB! I clicked on it with my hand on my face, peeking through my fingers. :) LOL Thank you for not posting one!

PS: Once again, I really hope it heals up quickly and without further issues! <3
    Jeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I, too, think it'll be fine. You don't need to take antibiotics for the entire length of the injury or anything. They gave me antibiotics when I had my csections and I think I took just a few days worth. One thing that did come to mind is, did the doctor check to make sure your tetanus vaccination is up to date? Wounds bad enough to need antibiotics and in locations like feet that get so much access (even prior to bring bandaged) to dirt and germs are usually ones you want to make sure don't allow an avenue for tetanus to enter the body.
  • Jeffrey said:

I got a cut on my foot last Saturday. I saw the doctor and he gave me a weak of keflex and the wound is healing. I am puzzled because the bottle runs out this morning but the wound still hasn't fully healed. Do I need to go to the med station tomorrow and get some? I'm thinking probably not because though the wound is not fully healed probably the part near the blood is covered.

Your doctor ought to know best.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

If you've finished your prescribed doses and your foot is healing, I guess there is no need to worry. Just keep your wound clean, and add some ointment that contains antibiotics and anti-inflammatory active substances . Also, you might ask your doctor if he agrees with this kind of treatment, if you're in doubt.
  • Thanks everyone. I did insist on a tetanus shot, karasti. They forgot to give me one but luckily I remembered before I left. I actually found three more days of medicine in the bottle so thats good and the cut looks better this morning.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Get well Jeffrey. Sleep much and eat good!

That should help.

/Victor
    Jeffrey
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    @Jeffrey

You talk about tetanus shot when you've got a deep and narrow wound, caused by a sting by something that had contact with dirt/mud, that will not allow oxygen to enter, thus making a good spot for anaerobic bacteria such as Clostridium tetani ( in this case ) spores to thrive and to do what they do best. If the wound is quite wide and not too deep, you can apply hydrogen peroxide ( that in contact with blood , body fluids and some microbial agents will release oxygen ) , and after that you can either go for a topical solutions ( antibiotic sprays, combined anti-inflammatory and antibiotic ointments/gels/creams, or honey ).
  • Thanks. It looks pretty good now. I think it is passed where healing is necessary. With tetanus one might as well get a shot and keep up to date.