Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Random question

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
Does anyone know a good e-book free download site ? Or, where can I find ( and download ) a good veterinary anatomy book ( with well made pictures/images /drawings) ? Also, what book ( of this kind ) would you recommend ?

p.s. :
1. I need that book as soon as possible.
2. I looked on Amazon, E-bay, and those books are kinda expensive for my budget.
3. I want to start practicing surgery, and before this, I need to make sure I master the anatomy quite well, so I need an anatomy book with good quality and understandable images/pictures.
4. I also looked on some free download sites for anatomy books, and they seemed quite fishy, so that's why I'm asking for your help.

Comments

• Tell me/us more about wanting to "practice surgery".......
    ericcris10senThailandTomReborn
  • I remember you were in a veterinary program. Did that go ok? How are you doing? I remember that you were taking some hard exams. How is it going?
  • robotrobot Veteran
    I'm feeling sorry for your "patients" right now.
    riverflowVastmindericcris10sen
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    @MaryAnne

That's what I wanted to do since I planned to enter a med school ( be it veterinary or general ). Now, I need to 'form my hand' in the field of surgery. By the time I finish college ( in about three years ) I want to do my real first operations.

@Jeffrey

And I'm still there. I'm surviving :lol: , so yes, I'm ok. The hard exams were passed, and I'm enjoying my little 'holiday' :) .

@robot

Don't get the wrong idea. I won't find "patients" on the street to cut them up at my home, while looking at images in that book. ( if that's what you're telling me ). I need to "relearn" the anatomy I studied for two years ( that just wasn't enough ).
    Jeffrey
  • robotrobot Veteran

@robot

Don't get the wrong idea. I won't find "patients" on the street to cut them up at my home, while looking at images in that book. ( if that's what you're telling me ). I need to "relearn" the anatomy I studied for two years ( that just wasn't enough ).

I think I did get the wrong idea. Sorry and good luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_of_Doctor_Moreau
    ericcris10senmisterCopeReborn
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013
    So.......Why do you no longer have access to the anatomy books you used for classes?
    Why is this part of study not included in your pre-med or pre-veterinary classes?

And wow, there's a huge difference between studying animal anatomy and human anatomy and the surgery techniques for each.
    I'm afraid I still have the 'wrong idea' about what you are looking to do (on your own). If you plan to be IN class(es) soon, just go along with the curriculum and learn as they teach, because from what you're saying here, your experience and 'individualize learning plan' to do surgery based on that experience sounds pretty 'wonky' to me......
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Used book stores can be great places for this kind of thing. I understand the need to be frugal or just not have it in the budget but at the same time I'm a bit wary of someone who is looking to invest in being able to operate on animals but needs the text book for free. I'd be more than a bit nervous to bring any pet to someone who was looking for free books on anatomy and surgery. I think I just don't have enough information. If you are done with schooling you should have the required information and be able to work with a vet type person to get experience to go with the knowledge. If you aren't done yet, you should still be in school, no?
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I hope you're not planning on live animals for practice.
    MaryAnne said:

So.......Why do you no longer have access to the anatomy books you used for classes?
    Why is this part of study not included in your pre-med or pre-veterinary classes?

And wow, there's a huge difference between studying animal anatomy and human anatomy and the surgery techniques for each.
    I'm afraid I still have the 'wrong idea' about what you are looking to do (on your own). If you plan to be IN class(es) soon, just go along with the curriculum and learn as they teach, because from what you're saying here, your experience and 'individualize learning plan' to do surgery based on that experience sounds pretty 'wonky' to me......

I have access to all the anatomy books I used for my anatomy labs and courses. I've got them at home. The thing is, that they are not quite well made, and the pictures/ drawings are not quite understandable.

It's not that it's not included...To make things clear : I'm not from U.S.A. , and the higher education system in my place is different. If ( I might be wrong about this one) the American college, in regards to medicine is divided between pre-med and med school, then in my country, all those pre-med and med school, are taken as a whole, and somehow, in my vet college, the six years I do ( I passed into the third year) are divided between pre-clinic ( includes anatomy) and clinic. But, the subjects are placed so that the student will take contact with the clinic gradually. To get to the point : the first two years of vet college had anatomy included as a mandatory subject to study ( you can't choose what courses to study in college).

What I'm looking to do on my own is to relearn the theory to complete my practice ( at the anatomy labs we used to dissect horses ) . I'm not planning to do surgery on my own, right now, at my skill level. I have no right ( legal or moral ) to do this act on my own.

p.s. : 1. sorry for the long answer;
    2. if my answer wasn't clear enough, I'll rethink it, but please do show me what points I need to touch.
    3. Yes, the differences between human and animal bodies are numerous, but the surgery principles remain ( and should remain ) the same.
    karasti said:

Used book stores can be great places for this kind of thing. I understand the need to be frugal or just not have it in the budget but at the same time I'm a bit wary of someone who is looking to invest in being able to operate on animals but needs the text book for free. I'd be more than a bit nervous to bring any pet to someone who was looking for free books on anatomy and surgery. I think I just don't have enough information. If you are done with schooling you should have the required information and be able to work with a vet type person to get experience to go with the knowledge. If you aren't done yet, you should still be in school, no?

I did search some book stores where they sell used books, and there is no veterinary medicine handbook to be displayed. And the ones that happen to be displayed, are the "old precious" ones ( oldies but goldies ) that are so rare, you cannot expect to find more than one even at the most well know used book store. To tell a little story : I was in the first year at college and the first semester at anatomy was all about bones, joints and muscles. I bought like every anatomy book recommended by some senior colleagues, and at least for the bones and joints part it was all good. Then, it came to the muscles. The hardest and the most bothersome part of that semester's anatomy. And the professors imposed draconic conditions, so that they'll make us learn the muscles. And to 'aid' us, they sold their new anatomy handbook, that contained the "Muscles" chapter. The days past, and we had to take a "laboratory practice exam" ( romanian/latin terms : colloquium ) . Before this colloquium , I tried to make drawings of muscles on their afferent bones after all images I could find. One senior colleague of mine had an "oldie but goldie", back breaking size atlas of bones, joint and muscles. I borrowed it, studied it, passed the colloquium ( I was one of the few who passed ). Asking my friend about the atlas, she told me she had luck to find it ( it is a great and rare masterpiece ) and paid like half an average salary to buy it at the used book store.

Now back to our days. I understand the problem. The thing is that I have books of anatomy, surgery and such, written by some professors in my country, bought from my own pocket. I have such books at home. As I said above, the problem is that the quality of those books is not quite like the one that...let's say a British or an American book on anatomy or surgery have.

Also, I'm not done schooling. I still have three more years to study before I graduate.
    In this time, I'm trying to gain as much experience as I can ( by using my free time ) at whatever vet clinic is willing to accept me to work for it. And, to stay on the subject I did assist at some basic surgical operations ( spayings, neuterings; I worked at some not quite big vet clinics) and did one (neutering ) myself ( I was supervised by the chief medic ).
    Nevermind said:

I hope you're not planning on live animals for practice.

No, I'm not planning. First, because I have no room available for surgery, no anesthetics, no sedatives, no antibiotics, no tools, no materials and no legal and moral right to do so.
  • Phew! [lobster feels safe again]

. . . thought I was going to be vivesectioned . . .
    NomaDBuddhakarastiMaryAnne
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Have you tried looking in city libraries?

As I recall, you already did some kind of practicum with a vet sometime in your first years at school? I thought you had a little experience assisting in surgery...?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I would try google books. There is at least one where, it's not available for download but you can view quite a lot of the book just on the google page and it has a lot of pictures and diagrams.
    books.google.com
    and search for "Veterinary Anatomy of Domestic Mammals"

I looked it up on amazon, and new, the book runs $761!!! That's just ridiculous. In college I thought all books were ridiculous, who need to pay $200 for a sociology theory book, they haven't changed theories in quite a long time, it shouldn't cost that much to read a book about it. But $761!? Holy mackerel.
    @Dakini

No, not yet...at least at the small hood libraries. I looked at the grand national library, and has a ton of " veterinary medicine" books, that talk about herd dynamics , genetics, and things that fit a zootechnist rather than a vet.

Also yes, you remembered well ;) . I still do the same kind of practicum, but at another, more "populated" clinic. As for assistance, I slowly make progresses. I'm allowed to operate as a 'second hand' ( but I'm not allowed to suture; not yet ).
    karasti said:

I would try google books. There is at least one where, it's not available for download but you can view quite a lot of the book just on the google page and it has a lot of pictures and diagrams.
    books.google.com
    and search for "Veterinary Anatomy of Domestic Mammals"

I looked it up on amazon, and new, the book runs $761!!! That's just ridiculous. In college I thought all books were ridiculous, who need to pay $200 for a sociology theory book, they haven't changed theories in quite a long time, it shouldn't cost that much to read a book about it. But $761!? Holy mackerel.

Man, $761 for a book ? If I were to buy that, first, I'd have to sell a kidney or a liver lobe on the black market.

And, I'll give it one more try with google books. I hate it when they put only the first few pages and the last few pages when they want to present their books.
  • Where the heck do Romanians learn such idiomatic English??! TV?
    NomaDBuddha
    @Dakini

You can say that :lol: , but to be honest, my first contact with English language was Cartoon Network ( at that time, the cartoons weren't 'dubbed' or 'subbed')
  • @Dakini

You can say that :lol: , but to be honest, my first contact with English language was Cartoon Network ( at that time, the cartoons weren't 'dubbed' or 'subbed')

I hate dubbing. With subtitles, you really can learn a language from TV.

ThailandTom
  • Dakini said:

@Dakini

I hate dubbing. With subtitles, you really can learn a language from TV.

Also dubbing takes away part of what the production is all about, the feel and atmosphere of it dissipates. For example if you watched something like Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, a very typically English film with loads of cockney accents, that in Italian would just be wrong.
    @ThailandTom

The thing is, that dubbing also takes away the reading ( reading ?! on the TV screen ?! yeah right ! ) exercise that the viewer has to do.
  • @ThailandTom

The thing is, that dubbing also takes away the reading ( reading ?! on the TV screen ?! yeah right ! ) exercise that the viewer has to do.

I dunno about you but the reading just kind of becomes second nature and I forget I am even doing it soon enough.
    Guys, problem solved ! Thank you all again !
    JeffreyDakini
  • Guys, problem solved ! Thank you all again !

What did you find? And where did you find it?

Found some anatomy books on some blog/site that shares veterinary books. Found one descriptive anatomy book, found a book that stands between anatomy and surgery ( has some well done pictures ) . And that's all I need for now.
    Jeffrey
  • Don't make Frankenstein! Good luck :)
    @Jeffrey

You've foiled my plan. But thanks anyway ;):)
    MaryAnne