Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fall asleep listening to music?

I've mentioned that I fall asleep listening to peaceful music and I've also mentioned how I meditate myself to sleep, but I never really posed this question: Who else here frequently falls asleep listening to music?

Comments

• Can you fall asleep without music?
  • Lee82 said:

Can you fall asleep without music?

Yes, I decide to do it.

• riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Unfortunately sometimes I get into that bad habit myself. Ironically, as much as I love classical music, it keeps me awake because I keep listening to all the intricate details. So if I do listen to anything, I listen to rock music with headphones-- the louder the better. I only do that when I just can't fall to sleep. I much prefer silence.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited September 2013
    i do
    i work nights. sleeping all day upstairs.
    listening to indian classical on pandora puts me to sleep within 20 mins.
  • blu3ree said:

i do
    i work nights. sleeping all day upstairs.
    listening to indian classical on pandora puts me to sleep within 20 mins.

Yeah, I listen to Ravi Shankar, Nikhil Banerjee, Purbayan Chatterjee, I've been really getting into ragas. And now I just sleep to tanpura tracks. I posted this up on another page in this site, but here it is again:
    Invincible_summer
  • I got in the habit of using rain sounds to sleep, because I used to work nights and live next to a busy street. I also use a box fan for white noise
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    If I want to listen to music, I often will fall asleep while doing so...a nap. But if I want to fall asleep listening to music, then I stay fully awake.
    riverflow
  • I love falling asleep to music... soothing music, or rainforest sounds mixed with flute or cello music. I used to go to sleep to this kind of music at least 4 nights a week. But now that my hubs is retired, (and no longer working nights like he did for 15 yrs) we most often fall asleep to the TV in the bedroom.
    I'm not too happy about that, especially when he insists on watching some action-packed thriller with gunfire, screaming, squealing tires and explosions!! :eek: Gives me freakin' nightmares!
    But I get him back... I'll turn it to a cooking show or home improvement show just before I drift off! ;)
    Vastmindriverflow
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2013
    ^^^ same here...hubby leaves the TV on some tramatizing stuff.

I can't do music to sleep....I end up singing along or wanting to
    dance....even the slow songs.

Am I the only one that the nature sounds makes me have to get up
    and pee? I have tried the ones with no water sound..but then
    I have dreams of being outside....dancing with crickets..or whatever the
    'sound' is. hahaha
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • I used to fall asleep with the radio on all the time. Then I started going to bed it utter silence. Turns out I can fall asleep in a well-lit noisy room if I get comfortable. I'm not picky about where I sleep I guess.
  • @Vagabond I have listened to music and gone to sleep doing it, the thing is though it is often UK jungle which is not exactly peaceful, it can have ambient and majestic parts but for the most part it is pretty intense. However I can fall asleep listening to it just fine.

I also meditate myself to sleep sometimes, if I really am finding it hard to sleep I will take in 3-5 very long and deep breaths whilst lying in a sleeping position and instantly I normally feel my eyes getting heavier. From there I do the standard breath meditation and most of the time that is the last thing I remember.
  • Vagabond said:

I've mentioned that I fall asleep listening to peaceful music and I've also mentioned how I meditate myself to sleep, but I never really posed this question: Who else here frequently falls asleep listening to music?

You are lucky. I can't sleep sometimes even if I count sheep.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I can (and have) fall asleep listening to Slayer's Reign in Blood album. I'm not sure if that is any indicator of anything I should be concerned about.
    riverflowThinGentlementklouisefaith
  • I can (and have) fall asleep listening to Slayer's Reign in Blood album. I'm not sure if that is any indicator of anything I should be concerned about.

I like that album lol

Invincible_summer
  • When I used to house share in my student days, falling asleep to music was the only way I could get sleep with all the noise and (often) drunken activity throughout the evening and into the wee hours.

Ironically, in my first year when I shared a room (yes a room, not just a house - that sucked) with someone who played music 24 hours a day (CD on repeat during the night...) I hated having music on at night. The only way I could compete was by learning to sleep that way with my own music, a habit that stuck until I moved in with my wife a few years later.

My wife hates having music on at all, let alone at night, so I'm out of the habit now. But I miss drifting off to music, especially something like Dummy by Portishead. In fact, I'm going to put that on via my headphones right now.