Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What book(s) are you currently reading?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited August 2013 in General Banter
Given the age of the site, and the number of members who have come and gone, I'm sure more than of couple of threads with this topic have come up.

So here is another! :D

What book(s) are you currently reading or want to start reading?

I'm currently reading Nothing to Envy; Ordinary Lives in North Korea. It's a very well written book and quite a page turner. You wouldn't believe some of the things depicted in it.

I also want to start reading The Brothers Karamazov soon. My goal is to finish it in one year.
riverflowInvincible_summer

Comments

• Just finished "There is no God and he is always with you" Brad Warner and "The 5th Wave" Rick Yancey. Just started "Polishing the Mirror" Ram Dass. Currently Reading "Carrion Comfort" Dan Simmons & "The Right to Write" Julia Cameron.
    Invincible_summer
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Currently the autobiography of Martin Luther King Jr, next up will be Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama.
  • Training the Mind, by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Just finished Shambala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chogyam Trungpa (excellent, highly recommend). My next Buddhist book will be the first in his Ocean of Dharma series, I think.
    I'm reading a local-ish fictional mystery called "The Witch Tree". It's fun for me to read books that have landmarks and roads and such that I know well.
    My Sangha is reading The Way of the Bodhisattva, so I keep up with our reading for that.
    I'm also periodically reading through "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl and "Unending Auspiciousness: The Sutra of the Recollection of the Noble Three Jewels" by Tony Duff.
    I kind of have reading ADD, and what I want to read at any given time varies a lot. I usually read about 6-7 books at a time.
    TheEccentricmisterCope
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I am reading "The New Heart of Wisdom" by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso after finishing his "Joyful Path of Good Fortune".
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    "Buddhism is Not What You Think" -- Steve Hagen

I'm half way through, and I'm liking it!

Gratitude to @riverflow...our Sangha group has a library....and I
    plan on taking advantage of it. :)
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom

Not about Buddhism I'm reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", first book from the Millennium saga.
  • Booker T. Washington's autobiography "up from slavery". It is a very insightful book into those times after slavery was abolished in America.
    riverflowoceancaldera207Invincible_summer
  • National wildlife federation's field guide to trees of north America, and perfection of wisdom in 700 lines, in perfect wisdom by e. conze
    riverflow
  • That Conze book is great @oceancaldera207 !
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited September 2013
    I am reading two books right now: Tom Robbin's Jitterbug Perfume (for the fourth time!) and a new book called The Shark's Paintbrush: Biomimicry and How Nature is Inspiring Innovation by Jay Harman. The latter is a fascinating rethinking of how approaching human innovation with the natural world as our chief inspiration can ultimately solve much of our current problems of waisting energy, effort, time, and money. Golden Ratio, anyone? :)
  • I am reading To See The Buddha by Malcolm David Eckel. It is a religious work on Buddhism, very fresh perspective the way the author conveys his great respect and excellent knowledge of the time of the Buddha's awakening.
  • riverflow said:

That Conze book is great @oceancaldera207 !

Yes! And it's so content rich... I'm so thankful that he translated some of these lesser known prajnaparamita sutras.

riverflow
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Currently reading (and not easy reading), The Heart Sutra Explained; Indian and Tibetan Commentaries, by Donald S. Lopez, Jr.

The amount written about this relatively short sutra is quite amazing; and quite heady at times.
    riverflow
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Hark! A Vagrant for light reading, and Awake in the World by Michael Stone for some more "serious" reading.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited September 2013
    I've been trying to complete " The Harvard's Classics." Currently I'm reading, "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin." It will take about a year and a half to complete the 51 Volumes.

I made a thread recently:

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/19503/dr-eliot-s-five-foot-shelf-the-harvard-classics#Item_4
    riverflowTodd0248