Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Prayer beads?

misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
I've recently accidentally acquired some prayer beads. They are pretty, they make a pleasant little rattle, and they even smell nice (sandalwood). But I don't really know what to do with them.

I've read up on how to hold them and the method for counting them. I know that Christians, Muslims, and other fine folks use them to count prayers, but I'm not praying. I guess I could count breathes using them.

My questions are: does anyone here use them? If so, in what way?

I will note that cats are obviously smarter than humans as they knew exactly what to do with the beads without any instruction -- which was smell them, flick them around, try to eat them, ignore them.
lobstercvaluekarmabluesoceancaldera207

Comments

• I use them. Not very often at the moment. Another way of focusing the awareness. I am assuming you have 108 beads? Maybe less if a mala? Would recommend slightly audible mantra, unless you particularly want to impress the cat - unlikely.

http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/57234975984/buddhist-mantra-faqs
    As for particular mantra . . . find something that resonates . . . and away you go :om:
    misterCopecvalue
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Mala beads aren't really prayer beads if you ask me as they are used to coint mantra recitations which aren't really prayers imo.

I use mine to count recitations of Om Mani Padme Hum, Dorje Shugden's mantra and Green Tara's.
    misterCopecvalue
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    Hmm. Yeah, it's a mala, (male, insists autocorrect [It's a boy!]) with 108 beads. I guess that what I really don't know about is the subject of mantras. Thanks for the link, @lobster!
  • I use 108 beads every morning. For each bead, I recite Namo Amitabha Budha 10 times. If I get distracted and let a thought to get in, I must repeat the 10 recitations for this bead. Sometimes, I manage to get to the count # 8 or 9 but then I let a thought come in, so I must reset the counting back to 1 for this bead. Because I fail a lot and must restart my counting each time, it takes me an average of 45 minutes to go through 108 beads. But I am making progress every day. Hopefully, one day I won't have to recount any bead.
    misterCopekarmablues
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    "-Isn't this just some form of 'Buddhist cult' brainwashing?
    -Yes.
    -What if I pronounce them wrong?
    -You will turn into a pumpkin."

:lol:
    Kundocvalueysmael
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    I use my mala beads for mantra chanting - usually Om Mani Pedme Hum or the Green Tara Mantra.

In metta,
    Raven
    misterCopecvalue
  • i do my mantra chants with my 108 mala beads Om Mani Padmi Hum
    misterCopeKundo