Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have you sprawled out in the embrace of the sun to ponder the big blue realm today?

edited September 2013 in Meditation
If you've got clear skies, I want to invite you to go lay down in the grass for a few minutes and just look at the sky.
Such a brilliant, colossal symbol of ultimate tranquility.
The feeling of doing so is the only feeling that I feel is necessary to be blissful throughout life.
Witness it for yourself.
:)
blu3reeJeffreyVastmindTheEccentriccptshrkriverflowmisterCopeKundooceancaldera207Shim

Comments

• federica said:

I've often gazed up at a completely clear blue sky, and my immediate thought has always, instantly been 'Buddha Mind'. And if I see any cloud formation at all, I always think 'transitory obscurations'.....

I love this. To acknowledge the cloud is to be immersed in the raw beauty of it, but only for a moment. Awareness shifts without violence back to the majesty of the sky, back to the one truly worthy of ultimate contemplation.

What a nice thought.
    Vastmindriverflow
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2013
    I'm here to say...I witnessed.

About 15 mins after reading this I was off to family trip for
    a picnic in the park...featuring the Memphis Symphony Orchestra.....
    It was a beautiful evening!
    We were laying on two picnic blankets...sharing a veggie and
    wing tray.....sitting back....then laying back....

I thought of this blog post I had just read....and grabbed the camera.
    What a clear view I had .....

Gratitude for the teaching I received......

This is the moon....about 6 pm in the evening.....pretty blue sky...

42bodhilobsterriverflow
  • Vastmind said:

I'm here to say...I witnessed.

About 15 mins after reading this I was off to family trip for
    a picnic in the park...featuring the Memphis Symphony Orchestra.....
    It was a beautiful evening!
    We were laying on two picnic blankets...sharing a veggie and
    wing tray.....sitting back....then laying back....

I thought of this blog post I had just read....and grabbed the camera.
    What a clear view I had .....

Gratitude for the teaching I received......

This is the moon....about 6 pm in the evening.....pretty blue sky...

It brings a great smile upon my face to read this. :D

Though it is night time where I am right now, I feel a great freeing sensation gazing at a frame of what you've witnessed. It helps me achieve same the feeling without the assistance of the sun.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.
    riverflow
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I spent most of the day in the car, finishing off school shopping with my kids. But my eldest drives now, so despite the hundreds of time I have made that drive, I saw all sorts of new things I never see because I'm usually behind the wheel. It sure is nice to relax and let someone else do the work ;)

I do frequently lay out on the grass, under the sun, or under the stars and just look out. Amazing thing to do. Especially for me the other night looking out and realizing that Voyager had left the solar system, and it took 35 years to happen! That's just incredible to think about.
    Vastmind42bodhiriverflow
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited September 2013
    I've always liked to gaze at the sky relative to a tree or high object like an architectual feature or cliffside....with something like that in view, it kind of gives you the sensation that what you're looking at is the last point reaching out into the vast space beyond.
    I love people who take the time to look up..and not too many people do. I would think it would be really hard not to be calm and thoughtful after looking at the sky for a while... (Although ill admit that I sometimes feel a bit of longing for lost love looking at the sky. )
    Vastmind42bodhi
  • It was raining today.

However I did use a 'led' meditation app.
    It took me to the Orion star system (the home of humanity apparantly) via the pyramids of Cheops . . . 'you are floating up into the sky' etc . . .

Luckily I returned to earth and deleted the app before I was instructed by 'little green men' on the 'master plan' . . . :D

Sometimes 'free' and 'meditation' is not so clear . . .
    Glad you guys are doing better :)
    42bodhi
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2013
    '...without the assistance of the sun.....'

Funny thing is...the concert is at sunset..promoted that way
    too........so there was a pretty purple
    and pink thing going on...everyone was looking at the sun side
    we were even playing frisbee when the sun was cut half by the
    little green hill we were near....the
    small children around me just seemed fascinated that the moon was
    also out and how they both could be there....hahah...it made me turn around
    and look at it, and experience something RIGHT as it presented itself.
    hard to explain.....the moon at sunset...hahaha
    without the moon....no sun ;)
    42bodhi
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    federica said:

I've often gazed up at a completely clear blue sky, and my immediate thought has always, instantly been 'Buddha Mind'. And if I see any cloud formation at all, I always think 'transitory obscurations'.....

Weird. I think 'rain'.
    42bodhi
  • Yesterday (Sunday) was only the second time in a few years I was at the beach/boardwalk, even though I live 10 miles inland. I did an 80 minute and 50 minute walk (3.7 mph) last weekend and this weekend, respectively. During the time I contemplate a number of things. One of them is trying to see that we are all one; no matter how "odd" someone may be (as I may be to them), we are not the body. Yesterday I took it a step further (no pun on the walking intended) and sat for a while on a rock on a jetty. I just let whatever was there flow through me. Doing this is the best kind of meditation for me, and I wish I could do it more often.
    pegembara
  • Nevermind said:

federica said:

Weird. I think 'rain'.
  • Nevermind said:

Weird. I think 'rain'.

see how the label comes into mind
    which is the delusional mind

• Here's what I pondered for a week about a week ago...

wow this shot is amazing, you are gifted to have such a place of beauty like that in your area.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like Dzogchen sky gazing. A direct pointing to the "Buddha-nature", "Buddho" or poo-roo in Thai.
    There are many techniques to help us ease into Dzogchen practice, this naked awareness practice called cutting through, seeing through, or sky-gazing.

This is the heart teaching of Mahamudra, of Dzogchen, of Zen, of all the nondual teachings: Sustaining present awareness. Recognizing the Buddha-nature through the present moment, this very moment of awareness. If it's awareness taking the form of thinking, recognize the present awareness component of the thought. If you are remembering the past, recognize the present awareness component of the memory. You're not in the past. How could you be in the past? It is present awareness remembering. If you feel distracted when remembering, bring the mind back to the present awareness. You don't have to stop remembering. Recognize present awareness, which is remembering. If you are dreaming, fantasizing about the future, about what you are going to do when you leave here, how you are going to tell everybody how wonderful it was and how great Dzogchen view and meditation is, that's fine-recognize present awareness fantasizing, planning, dreaming. Recognize who or what is doing that present awareness. Know the knower; see through the seer; go beyond me and mine, and be free.

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/A - Tibetan Buddhism/Authors/Lama Surya Das/Sustaining Present Awareness/Lama Surya Das - Sustaining Present Awareness.htm

When you are patient, allowing things to cease, then you begin to know cessation -- silence, emptiness, clarity -- the mind clears, stillness. The mind is still vibrant, it's not oblivious, repressed or asleep, and you can hear the silence of the mind.

To allow cessation means that we have to be very kind, very gentle and patient, humble, not taking sides with anything, the good, the bad, the pleasure, or the pain. Gentle recognition allows things to change according to their nature, without interfering. So then we learn to turn away from seeking absorption into the objects of the senses. We find our peace in the emptiness of the mind, in its clarity, in its silence.

http://www.amaravati.org/documents/mindful/11ins8.html
    42bodhiStraight_Man
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    I'm about to escape to the park down the road to do just that :)
    oceancaldera207Vastmind42bodhi