Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

as fall sets in

the trees here turn yellows, oranges, and reds. truly a beautiful sight also following the crisp breezes with fall.

#biggutlittlegut #fallawayfromtheequater

its still a little early as most of the trees leaves are still very green but does anyone have pictures of the forest near them?

Comments

• I'll take pics in about 4-5 weeks... that's when the colors will peak around here. :)
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited September 2013
    yeah that is about the time when they peak here. only certain trees have started changing. looking forward to seeing everyones posts. id take some myself but no camera.
  • Hey Blu... you know what a Ginko tree is/looks like? Do you have any around where you live?
    I have a lot of them in my neighborhood, and one in my own yard. They are the COOLEST fall changing trees EVER! You should watch some of the kazillions of YouTube videos people have taken of Ginko trees as they lose their leaves- Amazing! Brilliant yellow leaves once they change and they lose ALL their leaves in ONE day!

Ginko day happens on the first sunny day after the first cold frost of the season....
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited September 2013

heres a video of the ginkgo tree is this what u were refering to?
    a little off the subject of leaves changing colors but hey ill take learning about a beneficial food over derailing a discussion any day!

the leaves are very interesting ive never really seen them before looks like one could pull off the leaves as if they were threaded together. apparently they came from asia.

heres a little info on the tree.

haha "the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago the second best time to plant is now" good quote form the second video.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Yes, that is a Ginkgo tree . (Sorry, I spelled it wrong earlier)
    But I was thinking more like these videos:

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any other tree anywhere that loses all its leaves like "rain" in 24 hours or so...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2013
    ginkgo trees have remained unchanged, botanically, for millions of years. They are the most ancient species of tree on the planet, and are in fact, conifers....
    The female tree can determine whether her fruits will be male or female, depending on the gender, number and proximity of other gikgos in the vicinity.

They're also known as the "Hiroshima Tree" as after the city was bombed at the end of WWII, and razed to the ground in seconds, the tree began to develop new buds, and push new shoots up from its roots within a month.....
    blu3reeMaryAnneDavid
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited September 2013
    federica said:

ginkgo trees have remained unchanged, botanically, for millions of years. They are the most ancient species of tree on the planet, and are in fact, conifers....
    The female tree can determine whether her fruits will be male or female, depending on the gender, number and proximity of other gikgos in the vicinity.

They're also known as the "Hiroshima Tree" as after the city was bombed at the end of WWII, and razed to the ground in seconds, the tree began to develop new buds, and push new shoots up from its roots within a month.....

that is what the 2nd video i posted talks about. very intriguing.

pando trees link 80,000 years old root system.
    MaryAnne
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Oct. 10-12 is leaf-freaking season around here.
    MaryAnne
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Adam and Eve must dread it....
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited September 2013
    federica said:

Adam and Eve must dread it....

what?
    #scratchingheadpondering
    All they allegedly wore were 'fig leaves'.
    Figs are deciduous....
    It loses the humour in the explanation..... all jokes do..... :D
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Our leaves normally peak around the last part of Sept into early October. We take photos often. Here is one of my favorites from last year though, September 25th, 2012. It's not unusual to wake up one morning in early October to find our birch tree lost 95% of it's leaves overnight. A rain storm or wind will take them all off the trees in a day easily.

• My driveway from last year. October 1st is usually peak where I live.
  • wow to all your pictures :thumbsup:
  • Still very green here in London

• Great pics, all :)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Nice imagery, thanks!