Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Please help a battered monk

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited September 2013 in General Banter
I don't generally ask others to give to causes I think of as worthy, but I am willing to break with tradition on behalf of the Buddhist monk, Weera "Tony" Chulsuwan, a 66-year-old from Spencer, Oklahoma, who stepped out of his front door a week ago Friday and was beaten, literally, within an inch of his life by two boys, 14 and 15 -- kids whom Chulsuwan had known until that moment as neighbors.

The teenagers had come to rob Chulsuwan, a man who makes $350 a month and spends his time and energy taking care of animals that others can't or won't take care of themselves. The Oklahoma press rounded up an almost universal opinion that "Tony the Monk" was a good guy -- a guy who would give you the shirt off his back unasked.

The teenagers beat him with a steel pipe and a logging chain (apparently taunting him as they did so), stole various items from the house and then fled. Chulsuwan lay on the porch for 24 hours before he gained enough consciousness and energy to crawl to the telephone and call 911.

I will leave the sputtering adjectives that course through my mind for others to apply. All I hope is that each of us will take a few minutes, forgo a couple of containers of bottled water, empty a casually- filled penny jar, buy a stamp and address an envelope to:

Mr. Weera "Tony" Chulsuwan
c/o The Engaged Zen Foundation
P.O. Box 213
Sedgwick, Maine 04676

A PayPal donation site is also up and running.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I'm not clear what you're asking money for. He's out of the hospital and back home. To pay for his medical care or food or what?
  • vinlyn said:

I'm not clear what you're asking money for. He's out of the hospital and back home. To pay for his medical care or food or what?

so the man can buy himself some tea geez sympathy.

Yishai
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I am asking for money because both his medical bills and the animals he cares for require payments that were stretched pretty thin even before the incident.
    Yishai
    Ok, that's cool. Thank you!
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Is there a paypal thingus set up for him?
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Last I read.....no paypal...he is staying with neighbors, and donations are being
    taken at the local feed and seed for the animals...I'll see what I can post...hold on..

...http://kfor.com/2013/09/02/monk-beaten-left-for-dead-released-from-hospital/

"They have set up a fund for Tony Chulsuwan at all OKC area Lumber 2 Home and Ranch locations."

--from the local news...apparently Lumber 2 home will delivery hay, chicken feed,
    etc. to him...
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2013
    One of his neighbors posted this....

"...... He can use food (no meat)/money/horse feed or hay chicken feed/dog food/bottled water/or any supplys you think he can use. He has 13 ponys, about 7-8 small dogs, & about 10-15 chickens/1 sheep. He has giving a lot to the community helping people andnevet acceptting anything for it. He is very hard wirking yet very humble. If u can help in anyway he will be very thankful. Every little bit counts. All his animals are rescue animals so he can use all the help he can get. Its gonna be a slow recovery.

Tony is out of the hospital staying at a friends. He is very sore and unable to walk on his own. He needs everyone's prayers. There has been an arrest warrant issued for one of the suspects. Joel o."

neighbor source: http://kfor.com/2013/09/01/buddhist-monk-beaten-in-robbery-left-for-dead/
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Well, I tried, but I am not able to give a recurring donation and the setup looks like it will not take an eCheck (which is how PayPal pays a withdrawal from a checking account, I keep no actual money in my PayPal account itself). PayPal keeps giving me an error when I try to give.
  • Well, I tried, but I am not able to give a recurring donation and the setup looks like it will not take an eCheck (which is how PayPal pays a withdrawal from a checking account, I keep no actual money in my PayPal account itself). PayPal keeps giving me an error when I try to give.

Try it now. I was able to send money.

Vastmind
  • What happened to the kids?
    @Dakini -- At last report from the cops: They know who one of the kids is but not where he is. They don't know who the other one is, and likewise don't know where he is. Needless to say, when they are caught, they are going to be in a peck of trouble ... possibly even be tried as adults.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Thank you Genkaku and Karmatib, it works now. Gave what I could spare, is a good cause.
    edited September 2013
    Thanks to all ... it's appreciated... whether you've done so or plan to.
    edited September 2013
    Below is a thank-you note and a couple of photos from Weera "Tony" Chulsuwan. He and I are both grateful for donations made or yet to be made.

imageimage
    Vastmind
  • genkaku said:

@Dakini -- At last report from the cops: They know who one of the kids is but not where he is. They don't know who the other one is, and likewise don't know where he is. Needless to say, when they are caught, they are going to be in a peck of trouble ... possibly even be tried as adults.

Didn't you say the victim had known the kids as neighbors for years? Sounds like he would have been able to ID the kids...?

@Dakini -- Yes, Tony knew at least one of them. I have a hunch that because of their ages, 14 and 15, the cops may be withholding information and accusations. Whatever the case, the teenagers haven't yet been apprehended as far as I know.

And whatever the case, donations continue to come in. Here, perhaps too insistently, is a press release I wrote and sent out today:

------ FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -----

WORLDWIDE CONCERN FOR BATTERED MONK GROWS

Global reaction to the savage beating of a Buddhist monk in Spencer, Okla., is on the rise, a fund-raiser for "Tony the Monk" said Friday.

"The internet site (http://www.engaged-zen.org/Tonyappeal.html) went up on Monday," the Rev. Kobutsu Malone, a Zen Buddhist priest, said. "Since then, donations have come mostly from the United States, but a growing number are coming from England, Spain, Norway and other European countries. We expect to see a similar generosity in the Pacific countries as word spreads."

Weera "Tony" Chulsuwan, 66, came out his front door in Spencer on Aug. 30 in order to find out what two teenagers wanted. When the young men told him they were there to rob him, he told them he had nothing worth stealing: Chulsuwan lives on a $350 per month Social Security payment and uses most of that money to shelter and feed a host of animals that others cannot or will not care for themselves.

Chulsuwan's observation did not satisfy the young men, who proceeded to beat him with a steel pipe and a logging chain. "Tony the monk," as many of his neighbors refer to him, was struck at least 15 times in the head. After beating him, the teenagers ransacked his house and then fled. Chulsuwan lay outdoors for 24 hours before regaining enough consciousness and strength to crawl inside and call 911. His attackers have not yet been apprehended.

Chulsuwan, who is now back at home and recuperating slowly, wrote a thank-you note to all those who have offered a financial hand.

"I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the kind thoughts and prayers and too for donations to help my animals and medical bills," he wrote in part.

Malone said he was really touched by the generosity of donors.

"It's wonderful to think that in hard economic times, people can express their generosity in one small instance. With all of the suffering in the world, it's sometimes hard to know how to express concern in an effective way. Tony's case seems to have hit a nerve: Here is an situation in which the donations go directly to the wounded party. There are no intermediaries to dilute the gifts. As one donor said of her donation, 'it may not be much, but at least it's a little.'"

Malone, who lives in Sedgwick, Maine, and never personally met Chulsuwan, said he had sent the appeal to both Pope Francis and the Dalai Lama, but he was really counting on the generosity of those who lacked a high profile.

"My own sense is that people are naturally generous," he said. "They are always looking for ways to express that generosity, even when it is not easy. Tony and his animals offer a good opportunity and I think people know it."
    ---30---

FREE-USE PHOTOS OF TONY AVAILABLE AT: http://www.engaged-zen.org/Tony Thanks.html

THE REV. KOBUTSU MALONE: 207-359-2555

Done
    Vastmind
  • I don't have a facebook account anymore (I got stressed reading all the negative things people post) but has anyone here posted this on facebook? I feel like something like this would be re-posted and maybe get some more support for this man.
    One of the Zen teachers I know said he would paste the matter on his Facebook page.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Wow this really makes me glad to live in the UK where we have a National Health Service.

Health care especially in emergencies like this really shouldn't be something you have to pay for.
  • Hi Genkaku,

Just wanted to follow up on this. Have Tony's attackers been caught yet?

BTW, I received a wonderful note from him today in the mail. It made me very happy to know he's slowly feeling like himself again and back at home with his animals!

@Tone -- I just got a thank you as well. He says he is on the mend. He has a new used pickup truck to help with farm chores and a well was donated/dug as well. The matter of hooking up electricity is (last I heard) snagged in some bureaucracy. One of the alleged assailants, a teenager, has been caught, the other not. Details on the legal front are sketchy, partly because of the age of the suspect. The state picked up some, if not all, of the medical bills.

Donations, even at this late date, continue to come in and are being passed along. After about a month and a half since the Aug. 30 assault, something more than $8,000 has been collected and that doesn't count the support offered by the residents of Spencer, where Tony lives. The donation site is still up and running.

And in the meantime I would like to express my personal thanks (and some amazement) for all the generosity that has been shown. As the aging Indian chief said in the old movie, "Little Big Man," "My heart soars like a hawk!"
    JeffreyVastmindTone
  • Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear there's been some progress there.

And Great work on your part, well done!
  • I'm happy to hear of all the help he is getting!
    Is it too soon to make a joke about the word "battered" and how all this time I've been eating my monks plain?
    Jeffrey
  • Thank You.
  • jaejae Veteran
    What does this man say about his attackers? They are very young I have a boy of 14 and cannot imagine what circumstances/life would make kids act in that way....what kind of life have they had to behave that way?

I would say pray for the children and I will.