Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Man With A 30 Second Memory

Another youtube thread, last one promise. This guy has the worst case of amnesia in the world and only recognizes his wife, however every time he sees her he thinks it is for the first time in years. Talk about living in the present! I wonder if he suffers from this or if he is at peace as he has no baggage so to speak.

Comments

• This is something that has always fascinated me, especially after having watched that Sandler movie. What do such people actually feel - total peace owing to lack of memory, or total confusion?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The oddest case I've run into of late was someones elderly sister who was regressing slowly with dementia back through the memory of her years of life.
    She had been scarred and become bitter with everyone after being left by her love at the alter on her wedding day at the age of 40. As her memory took her back before that event she returned to being the pleasant women everyone had known before.
  • In this one it seems to show that he is very frustrated and I would guess suffers quite a bit :(

• Interesting. To imagine that living only in the present moment can also be horrific.

Does this also suggest that there is a middle road to follow even while following the very present moment? Sure, the present moment offers all of these beautiful, beautiful things that memories cannot offer.

Familiarization is still a great strength that should not be forgotten.

Therefore, let us live in the present but have at our arsenal for combating suffering the tool of familiarization.
  • Is living totally in the present moment without any memory of the past or plans for the future the way to freedom?

Surely not.
  • i have seen this, it demonstrates non-self, anatta.

without the help of the people around him,
    he will be lost without an identity.

Another youtube thread, last one promise. This guy has the worst case of amnesia in the world and only recognizes his wife, however every time he sees her he thinks it is for the first time in years. Talk about living in the present! I wonder if he suffers from this or if he is at peace as he has no baggage so to speak.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Living in the moment, is irrelevant in of itself as a spiritual path, without an accompanying acceptance of that moment. Without that acceptance, it is just as suffering bound as any other thwarted attachment.
    DavidTosh
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Fascinating indeed!
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    There is a tremendous difference between learning to live in the moment thru practice, and being thrown there against your will.
  • I think I saw something about this before.
    howbetaboy
  • He wouldn't be able to remember his previous life for sure!