Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mala- To wear or not to wear

CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
edited September 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I sometimes like to wear my mala (normally around my wrist), but have read some articles saying you aren't supposed to, while others are saying that it doesn't matter. I don't wear them for the fashion or the style (of course), but because they make me feel comfortable, and set a reminder to do things to the greatest of my ability while acting with kindness and compassion.

-To wear or not to wear?
ysmael

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    @lobster
    You omitted the Buddha Feet.
    Redo, please, for us weird folk who have to make our own Tees on Zazzle.
  • I have recently gotten my mala and I won't be wearing it. However if you want to why not, as long as you see it for what it is, a tool and impermanent then there is no problem. Just like with wearing anything, it will either break, get lost or stolen, become dated or annoying.
    CoryKundoericcris10sen
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    If you want to wear it, wear it. It doesn't matter what an article says about it. They are mostly opinion pieces anyhow. Think about why you want to wear it, and then if you are ok with that reasoning, wear it.
    Niesje
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Cory said:

I sometimes like to wear my mala (normally around my wrist), but have read some articles saying you aren't supposed to, while others are saying that it doesn't matter. I don't wear them for the fashion or the style (of course), but because they make me feel comfortable, and set a reminder to do things to the greatest of my ability while acting with kindness and compassion.

-To wear or not to wear?

Mala's used in Vajrayana practice - Yidam, etc. Shouldn't be shown to non-Tantrikas. If you don't care about that, do what you will. No one will come and take away your birthday
    Cory
  • i always wear it around my neck. so i can always get reminded to be calm at all times. im an artist as well. and most of the time i have mood swings. the mala helps me remember to stay calm. and another reason would be so i can chant or do my mantra while waiting in-between takes and shoots. :thumbsup:
    KrustyCrabs
  • Here's the one I got recently, it has helped me to have a little more motivation when it comes to sitting down on the cushion, but I have never used it for mantras or whatever.
    mala.jpg 396.5K
    Kundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2013
    To wear or not to wear?
    My mala fell out of my pocket recently, whilst sitting next to an atheist. Who was quick to remind me that it must be mine and not his . . . poor deluded Buddhist that I am . . .
    :o

Be authentic.
    If it feels right and harms none, by all means have some 'dharma pride' - a good thing for many of us . . .
    What you are doing is immersing and reminding yourself to practice. This is authentic.
    It is absolutely true but subjectively counter productive to say, 'this is a form of attachment to non essentials' and may be a hinderance. We must be responsible and sensitive to our real needs. It may be a useful tool for now . . .
    :wave:
    CoryThailandTomKrustyCrabs
  • here is mine... :wave:
    ThailandTomCory
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited September 2013
    @ysmael I will have to share a photo of my mala later
  • If you want to buy a new mala, please order it from here to support Tibetan nuns:

https://tnp.org/products/long-malas/
    Chaz
    cvalue said:

If you want to buy a new mala, please order it from here to support Tibetan nuns:

https://tnp.org/products/long-malas/

They have really nice malas that seem to be a real bargain. Their prayer flags look nice, too.

cvalue
    @cvalue wow, I could buy each one! They are all beautiful and have great meaning. When the money comes! :)
    cvalue
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2013
    A couple of websites I've come across:

Pre-made and create your own:
    http://www.destinationom.com/
    http://custommalashop.com/

A bit more on the pricier side (but beautiful): http://www.shakyadesign.com/
    cvalue
    @BonsaiDoug I love Custom Mala Shop!
    Kundo
  • Increase the 'power' of your recitation, bless your sausages . . .
    http://v7.tsemtulku.com/resources/prayers/prayers-general-prayer/general-prayers/
  • A couple of websites I've come across:

Pre-made and create your own:
    http://www.destinationom.com/
    http://custommalashop.com/

A bit more on the pricier side (but beautiful): http://www.shakyadesign.com/

I have had one of the Shakya Design malas for about 4 years, they are beautiful malas. The one I got I have used daily and wear it on my wrist to remember the vows of refuge. Other than having to oil the bodhi beads once, noticed one of the beads had a slight chip develop after a bump on my desk, I have had no problem with them.
  • Cory said:

-To wear or not to wear?

There shouldn't be the question of to wear or not to wear if you are really comfortable with it.
    Cory
  • It has been such a long time since I've been on here, but wanted to start chatting more; I miss having conversations with other Buddhists!
    I used to wear my mala a lot (on my wrist). But I found it to be distracting, and like some people have mentioned, perhaps not best for certain Vajrayana practitioners. But I still do often carry it in a small bag inside my backpack at school. It helps me feel a bit better on extra-stressful days.
    Cory
  • It has been such a long time since I've been on here, but wanted to start chatting more; I miss having conversations with other Buddhists!
    We have Buddhists here? :buck:
    I am just here for dharma fashion tips . . .

Why talk to Buddhists when you can talk to Buddhas? I am told that Malas can be used in this way but no bling, no cool being . . .

• I was never really into the severed head look, but if that's what you're into lobster!
    MaryAnne
  • I didn't want to start another mala thread, so I thought I'd use this for my questions.

I have a rudraksha mala and a tulsi mala. In Hinduism rudraksha is dear to Shiva, and tulsi is dear to Vishnu. It's also customary (and sometimes required) to recite one mantra on one mala, and use only one's chosen or given mantra, solely. However, I've read that in Buddhism the type of mala to use is less of a consideration, that it is really only a mindfulness tool, without the mysticism Hinduism ascribes to a mala. I understood for that reason it's OK to use rudraksha, tulsi, sandalwood, rosewood, etc. for one's mantra. I used the rudraksha for namo amitabha buddha japa. It felt quite natural.

My question(s): as a neophyte Pure Lander is it OK to chant both namo amitabha buddha and om mani padme hum, and is it OK to alternate malas? For example, I may want to take a mala with me to meditate and do japa away from home. Is all of this OK? I realize it may be a no-brainer to the experienced practitioners. However, I'm still trying to purge myself of the Hindu do's and don'ts.
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    edited October 2013
    My Pure Land teacher said we must concentrate on one mantra only if we want to obtain good concentration to achieve the same result as in other Buddhist meditations. Actually what we are doing is Transcendental meditation. And since we wish to go to Amitabha's land, it's more natural to recite: Namo Amitabha Buddha.

We use mala only as a tool to help us count. It doesn't mean anything to Pure Land Buddhists.
  • Thanks @cvalue. I thought that because Avalokiteshvara is associated with Amitabha, it was OK to chant om mani padme hum too, having the effect of generating compassion (something I need to do, which will be the subject of another thread soon :rolleyes: ) especially considering how widespread and popular it is. But I see your point... it's a matter of focus and concentration. Namo Amitabha Buddha is what I am using, even without the mala, spontaneously mentally chanting it throughout the day, and thinking of Amitabha.
    cvalue
  • @Jainarayan, I recite Namo Avalokiteshvara too but only 3 times every morning. The rest of the day is devoted to Amitabha Buddha.
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited October 2013
    That's good to know. Thanks @cvalue. :) And I'll just use one mala. I do kind of like the rudraksha over the tulsi.

Btw, do you ever recite Om Mani Padme Hum, or is that typically Tibetan?
    edited October 2013

I believe that spelling is Sanskrit. In Tibetan it's OM MANI PEME HUNG.

Tibetan Buddhists use that Mantra, alone or to accompany Sadhanas, but so do other Mahayana traditions. It's common in Tibetan culture, as Avalokiteshvara, or "Chenrezig" as he's called in Tibetan, is the patron of Tibet. The Dalai Lama is thought to be an emanation of Avalokiteshvara as is the Karmapa. So, you see a lot of practice related to the Bodhisattva Mahasattva in that culture. The prayer wheels you see in pictures, temples and gift shops almost always have the OM MANI .... mantra in them.

If you've never read it or practiced it, get a copy of his practice - there are free ones you can download around the web. It's a beautiful practice and doesn't require permission or empowerment. I'd recommend you get a copy off Thrangu Rinpoche's site along with the mp3 version by Lama Kathy W. The Sadhana is often sung in Tibetan and it's quite beautiful that way. The copy on Rinpoche's site is in both English and Tibetan so you can follow along.

• Thanks @Chaz, yes Om Mani Padme Hum is Sanskrit. What I meant was, is chanting it typically a Tibetan practice, which you answered. :) I learned that Avalokiteśvara and Mahāsthāmaprāpta are mahasattva bodhisattvas associated with Amitabha. I have the three in my shrine in their proper order. Avalokiteśvara is the first bodhisattva I was drawn to, and I feel is sort of my yidam.

I have a copy of the Chenrezig sadhana from http://www.kagyu.org/ktd/mani/images/chenrezig_short.pdf I also have a short Amitabha sadhana from http://www.dharmata.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DailySadhana-DF2.pdf to which I've added some additional prayers and dharanis.

Are we saying they can both be done? Though I am looking to Amitabha and his Pure Land as my goal. I don't want to get confused and conflicted.
  • I have heard but am not a linguist, that Tibetans have difficulty with pronouncing parts of Sanskrit? Maybe someone can confirm?

So PADME becomes PEME
    and HUM becomes HUNG in Tibetan

I prefer the Tibetan PEME
    and Sanskrit HUM

OM MANI PEME HUM

Malas are counting devices, you don't need a different abacus for each bank but no reason not to if you prefer . . .

You are developing focus with the bonus of mind calming
    and alignment with a principal or archetype . . .

Sounds good.

• cvaluecvalue Veteran
    edited October 2013
    @Jainarayan said:
    Sometimes, when I am in a good mood, I sing it. :)
  • lobster said:

Malas are counting devices, you don't need a different abacus for each bank but no reason not to if you prefer . . .

You are developing focus with the bonus of mind calming
    and alignment with a principal or archetype . . .

Sounds good.

Good point, thanks. These are things I'm learning bit by bit.
  • cvalue said:

@Jainarayan said:
    Sometimes, when I am in a good mood, I sing it. :)

Well, it's true that it gets stuck in my head after I hear a Youtube recording. So to that end, I guess I'm chanting it, because I don't try to flush it out of my head with something like... like... Macarena. :hair: