Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

This is not Buddhist related but .........

This is gonna sound really pathetic but my anxiety tells me it's an important issue lol but i would like some opinions from some people who have their heads screwed on properly. Ok so recently as in the past two years i stopped playing guitar i lost my mojo and i was taking it far to seriously and it killed it. I miss how much i use to be passionate about playing but that is gone i have tried returning to playing but no flame, still get a kick outta listening to music though. i have spent a bit of money and dabbled in other hobbies but nothing seems to grab me. I have however always lovefishtad animals i have a dog atm love her. Soon i will be moving to my first new house and i really fancy getting a tropical fishtank. My fear is that i will not like the actual thing as much as the idea and it will be money wasted yet again. Most might say so? but i am tbh honest attached to money i spend hardly anything on myself but i do spend a tonne on my gf though .Because i fear oneday i will loose my job or my income will run dry and i will have no reserves to keep my mrs and my soon to ne family sheltered fed and clothed. Anyway is it worth the investment to find another passion to bring a spark to life again or do i just try n find more pleasure in what i already doing. Please please i know there is so much Buddhist teachings you can throw at me to pick apart my problem but all i want is some realistic advice. And yes i know it is a rediculous problem to be worried about but that's my anxiety.
( no anxiety advice please i am currently dealing with that as a seperate matter. So sorry if this pointly worry has annoyed anyone but i just want some advice please.

Comments

• I think you should just sit back and think real hard on this. But either way, I believe you should wait a month or so until you have money saved up in your bank.

I'm not sure how old your son is, but perhaps you should get him involved with sports, and that way, you can get involved and it will be a good thing for both of you, and it's also healthy and active.

Being happy with what you have and finding pleasure in what you're doing is always a good thing. Since you said you love animals, why not volunteer at shelters, or even an animal/bird/fish rehabilitation center? Not everyone needs to have a degree or even any experience in these places, they just want people who love animals and will do their best in making their stay safe and comforting.

I just think you need to start saving your money. If you and your wife don't make a lot of money and you can't keep a comfortable amount of money in your bank account, then maybe you need to hold off on these unnecessary spending.
  • You say you have a soon to be family. I guess that means that you have child on the way, or are planning to start a family. Either way, that should be your main concern. As far as hobbies go, you will find much to do with a child.
    Many of the things I liked to do as a child, I got to do all over again with my kids and plenty more. And, it's more fun the second time around due to more resources and experience.
    Model airplanes and rockets, bicycles and motor bikes. Snowboarding, golfing. All kinds of things I would not have done without kids.
    Your music will be important again when your child is older. As a musician you are bound to want music to be part of your kid's upbringing.
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Well why don't you start with a small tank and see how you like it. Or you can pick up a cheap used one, and if you like it, upgrade later.
    I absolutely love fish tanks, but every time I want to get one, I feel bad for keeping the fish in such a small environment, and then don't. I might geT one anyanyway though, moving into my first house too! acking as we speak, congrats to u!

@lobster that tank is freakin beautiful!
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Having had several fishtanks throughout my life, it's more something that you set up once and then maintain. It's rewarding, but not much of a hobby that will engage you very much unless you have a lot of money to sink into it (no pun intended), and can have as many tanks going as you want. The one @lobster posted above is gorgeous, though. I now want to redecorate my current tank in that vein, lol.

Whenever I've felt similar to what you're describing, I've found it was social connection that was missing. My recommendation would be to find a social hobby. Something that doesn't cost money, but will allow you to engage with and be accountable to other people. You could try looking at Meetup.com or Volunteermatch.org to see if there's anything that interests you. Alternatively, if you have the time, perhaps a class in something you are interested in or a community theatre production as either a performer or crew member. The social aspect, for me at least, has helped immensely to get the dopamine reactivated and re-spark my zest for life, as well as helped in times of anxiety (which I too suffer from).
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Wisdom23 said:

Soon i will be moving to my first new house and i really fancy getting a tropical fishtank. My fear is that i will not like the actual thing as much as the idea and it will be money wasted yet again.

My neighbour has one and says it cost quite a lot in electricity.
  • start small then work your way thru it. too many things in your thoughts you wanted done ASAP. as i always say "one bead at a time bruddah" if you lost your kick on guitars or whatever those may be just put them on one side. dont throw them away. you'll see sooner or later things will kick back in again. and before you know it, youre on the roll again. as an artist i experience that also. i only hang my camera for a while. and then just let things happen. like taking a stroll in the park, go to a coffeeshop, go to the zoo. then before i know it the itch is back. concepts and ideas comes pouring back in.
    just hold it steady and stay on course :thumbsup:
  • Wisdom23 said:

This is gonna sound really pathetic but my anxiety tells me it's an important issue lol but i would like some opinions from some people who have their heads screwed on properly. Ok so recently as in the past two years i stopped playing guitar i lost my mojo and i was taking it far to seriously and it killed it. I miss how much i use to be passionate about playing but that is gone i have tried returning to playing but no flame, still get a kick outta listening to music though. i have spent a bit of money and dabbled in other hobbies but nothing seems to grab me. I have however always lovefishtad animals i have a dog atm love her. Soon i will be moving to my first new house and i really fancy getting a tropical fishtank. My fear is that i will not like the actual thing as much as the idea and it will be money wasted yet again. Most might say so? but i am tbh honest attached to money i spend hardly anything on myself but i do spend a tonne on my gf though .Because i fear oneday i will loose my job or my income will run dry and i will have no reserves to keep my mrs and my soon to ne family sheltered fed and clothed. Anyway is it worth the investment to find another passion to bring a spark to life again or do i just try n find more pleasure in what i already doing. Please please i know there is so much Buddhist teachings you can throw at me to pick apart my problem but all i want is some realistic advice. And yes i know it is a rediculous problem to be worried about but that's my anxiety.
    ( no anxiety advice please i am currently dealing with that as a seperate matter. So sorry if this pointly worry has annoyed anyone but i just want some advice please.

It's pathetic all right. In life, you win some and you lose some. You can't help it if you want to lose all. Just live. If there is passion, there is passion. If there is none, then there is none. why worry?