Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Class of Homeless in Thailand: Westerners

This article popped up on my email newsfeed today. Thought others might find it interesting: http://www.newser.com/story/174644/new-class-of-homeless-in-thailand-westerners.html?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I read another article about this recently, as well.

I'm not surprised. Among the many types of Westerners who frequent Thailand have long been those who are on the lower spectrum of "tourism" (if you can really call it that). In my time there I saw the old Western men who spent most of their waking hours in cheap little bars in seemy districts like Pat Pong and lived in the most depressing flats. Worse were the sex tourists. I remember a decent flat I had one summer back in the 1990s. Down the hall were 2 60-something American men; in my several weeks there I never once saw them go out of their rooms...just a steady stream of young male prostitutes coming in. I suspected some drug activity. Income-wise, some of the Westerners there are pretty low down on the income scale, and many are unwell and barely able to carry on, so I'm not surprised that some have become homeless.
    GlowInvincible_summer
  • Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that there was entire subgroup of Westerners in Thailand, but I'd heard of the prostitution and know many tourists slum it through Europe and Asia. It will be interesting to see the Thai reaction over the next few years.
    edited September 2013
    My guess is deportation. After all, most foreigners are not allowed to work in Thailand. If you do, it has to be an occupation where it is proven there are not Thais who are qualified to do the work. So these homeless Westerners almost certainly cannot get a work visa for Thailand. It's bad enough when you have your own nation's homeless begging on the streets. Why would you allow another nation's homeless to stay in your country?
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited September 2013
    That 500 baht per day for overstaying your visa could be a killer. They might waive that if they had to deport someone. I can't imagine that the Thai government would be too thrilled about picking up the tab for airfare for those guys.
    I have tried not to be judgemental about what guys do over there. I can't do it. The best I can do is keep my mouth shut. The fellow I have been flying over with spends the winter in Pattaya. What a sh*thole.
    Thankfully you can travel in Thailand and not see much of the sleazy side. There are beautiful towns including resort towns and islands where the sex trade is close to non existent or well concealed. It's a great place.
    Ill be flying into Bangkok on nov 16. I wouldn't want to live there though.
    vinlyn
    I have a feeling that many of these guys would find a source of money to fly home if they were given the choice of that or a Thai prison.
    robot
  • Interesting! It seems like people are running away from responsibility!
    footiam said:

Interesting! It seems like people are running away from responsibility!

Oh no! You should never blame the individual! (Said sarcastically).

MaryAnne