Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mystart page taking over? Help with computer.

I used to be able to open a tab by clicking the 'plus' tab and it would give a thumbnail of all my favorite sites. Now it goes to 'Mystart' page. I tried looking for 'mystart' in the add/remove program but none was listed. Google is still my homepage if I click the 'house' button in the upper right.

Firefox browser.

Comments

• I also use Firefox browser. Love it. But I never use the "+" tab thingy at the top. I simply click on Bookmarks to go wherever I need to go in my saved sites.
    But when I did click on the "+" tab sign, I also went directly to "mystart".
    So I don't think there's anything "wrong" with your program or computer settings.... Perhaps they (Firefox or Google) changed something on their end? Who knows, but I would say just use your bookmarks and forget mystart altogether. :-)

• Hmm I guess that you and others are having this problem too. Yeah I can use bookmarks.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    I googled Mystart and found multiple revisions of it. Suggest getting update for Firefox, as the stuff offered on the Google search to remove Mystart I do not trust.

To update Firefox, try using Help/About Firefox in firefox. Then click update.

I think that the stuff out there about Mystart is overblown. IF you can Google SpyBot SD in google, and get version 2.+ that should also remove it.

I do not have it, have Firefox 24.0.

John.
  • my firefox help tab does not have an update button.

It does have 'restart with add-ons disabled
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Did you try to avoid it by right clicking on the new tab and making one of the choices.

Although it wasn't Mystart, I had some troublesome add on that I had inadvertently added on when I downloaded some legit program. Took me weeks to get rid of it.
    go to help menu, then click About Firefox. I will bet that brings up a dialog with an update button. If not, it will say that Firefox is up to date.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Yes, thanks. It's updating. Hopefully the problem will be solved.

edit: the update didn't remove 'mystart'. But I can use bookmarks.
    edited September 2013
    Ok, bookmarks for now, will only suggest SpyBot SD version 2.+ then.

http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/ brings up the download page from Safer Networking, which is the current developer. You can get the free version to try first, and use it if you do not need the AV also. Look under home on left side, click on the download spybot 2.1 free edition in blue. Then once it is installed, update it. that will get you most recent version and defs for basic def set.

I wold install and run it, but when you look at the results uncheck cookies and the browser caches for removing. then tell it to remove checked.

That should get mystart in some variants at least. It does a ton of other stuff also, and can take half an hour or more to scan if you do a full scan.
  • karmatibkarmatib Explorer
    edited September 2013
    I do this all day at work.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/ download, install and run this. be careful that you are downloading the correct program. the page that it takes you to has multiple links so its easy to accidentally download something else.
    http://www.superantispyware.com/ this is another good free one.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/ this is a fast cloud based secondary scan that should be done once all others have been run. just choose to activate the trial to delete whatever it finds. then you can remove it later if you want.
    hit me up if you need more help

don't run these all at once BTW they will conflict with each other. do it one scan at a time.

Thanks for the link to HitManPro 3.+, @karmatib. Very useful tool. I paid for a license.
  • Thanks for the link to HitManPro 3.+, @karmatib. Very useful tool. I paid for a license.

I found that a while ago when one of my coworkers had a mean google redirect that I could not get rid of. I have never not been able to fix a pc but I thought that particular malware had got me good. Then after running close to 20 different tools I finally tried Hitman pro based on a random forum suggestion. It scanned and deleted the problem in 5 minutes. I was shocked to say the least. Good luck

• karmatib said:

Thanks for the link to HitManPro 3.+, @karmatib. Very useful tool. I paid for a license.

I found that a while ago when one of my coworkers had a mean google redirect that I could not get rid of. I have never not been able to fix a pc but I thought that particular malware had got me good. Then after running close to 20 different tools I finally tried Hitman pro based on a random forum suggestion. It scanned and deleted the problem in 5 minutes. I was shocked to say the least. Good luck

Was there a cost for Hitman pro, @karmatib
  • you can activate the trial license to use for the moment. If not it this is their pricing scheme.
    1 year 3 years
    HitmanPro - 1 PC $ 24.95 $ 49.95
    HitmanPro - 3 PCs $ 37.95 $ 74.90