Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how do you view Buddhism?

I view it as a kind of mind science as opposed to some heavy spiritual thing. I find the teachings to be true in the sense that it is a sort of mind re programming and not some cosmic magic.
My views are in no way meant to offend anyone but I have been curious if I am the minority in this regard.

Comments

• karmatib said:

I view it as a kind of mind science as opposed to some heavy spiritual thing.

Why does it have to be either/or? Why can't it be both?
    lobsterKundo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    For me, I think that Genkaku and Karmatib have hit it on the head with their opening posts.

When I began my many travels to Thailand, I saw the religious side of Buddhism. The temples, the statues of Buddha and Kuan Yin, the temple finery, the chanting monks, the mummies of old abbotts, etc. And some of that is related to things that are common in many/most religions -- magic, traditions, ceremonies, etc.

But as my interest in Buddhism grew and I began reading more and more books about the topic (many of which were by Thai monks and then translated into English), they didn't talk much about such topics related to magic, traditions, and ceremonies. And I felt like I had entered the realm of Buddhism as a philosophy.

Of course, they're not separate entities, which addresses Poptart's comment. And while one usually focuses on one or the other, I think that's really too bad, because one then misses a whole realm of Buddhism that has a great deal of meaning.
    Kundo
  • how do you view Buddhism?
    A means to endlessness.
    A practical mysticism.
    An anchor.
    A fashioning statement.
    A meeting of minders.
    A Heartless integration.
    A joke without a punchline.
    A seen un scene.

Something different
    again.
    Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

I view Buddhism as a tool gifted to me, to help me be a better person here and now, as opposed to a get out of jail free card to circumvent accountability for "the next life".

I also believe in God/dess/Divinity/Creatrix. I confess I haven't got the foggiest how to explain it succinctly or with brevity. But I find with Buddhism, it helps me to remain mindful about how my actions form karmic consequences and to focus on remaining present with my family, friends and others. And since the Noble Eightfold Path exhorts the kind of behaviour that is pleasing to Divinity, it's a win-win situation.

YMMV of course, this is just my opinion.

In metta,
    Raven
    mfranzdorfBunksMaryAnne
  • A fresh perspective on my conditioned mind!
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    For me it's a practice that helps me be more present, kind and compassionate to both myself and those around me.
    JeffreyMaryAnneVastmindEvenThird
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    As a path towards selflessness.
    Vastmind
  • ysmaelysmael Explorer
    honestly? honest :thumbsup:
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I view Buddhism not as a religion or philosophy or even a path. But as a method, a tool.

"The sharp butcher's knife" is a term for noble wisdom - the noble wisdom that cuts, severs, and carves away the inner defilements, fetters, and bonds. (Nandakovada Sutta)
    EvenThird
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    A process of awakening.
    Vastmind
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    All depends on how you define the word "spiritual". It's a pretty ambiguous word with no real clear definition. Social scientists have defined spirituality as the search for "the sacred," where "the sacred" is broadly defined as "that which is set apart from the ordinary and worthy of veneration." If that definition is used, then definitely a spiritual thing over here. :) If you define "spiritual" as "magic stuff", then definitely not spiritual over here.
    Jeffrey
  • I view it as a kind of mind science as opposed to some heavy spiritual thing. I find the teachings to be true in the sense that it is a sort of mind re programming and not some cosmic magic.
    Some people have a mystical, poetic, crazy component. As a wer-lobster I know this only too well. Luckily I can also engage with logic, science and have been known on occasion to be semi rational. It is interesting how we engage these components. :)

Now back to today's view on Buddhism:

A laboratory of Being
    A drink for the unquenchable
    A toast to the burning
    A hat with no one underneath
    A science of life betterment
    A practical aspiration
    A gate to clarity
    The Heart of Selflessness

Buddhism, a life to live for.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I view Buddhism as a foundation upon which I can build my life- with as little chaos, suffering and self-destruction as possible- while cultivating compassion, charity and "Love" for the all people and world around me...

Edited to add: Sounds very "PollyAnna" I know... but it's true. :D
    lobsterVastmind