Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Understanding autistic people.

I think everyone needs to watch this.
Did this video help you understand autistic people more?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have two autistic members of my family.
    Providing people let them be, and keep them safe, there's little to understand. There's a whole raft of stuff to 'accept' though.
    riverflowBeejEvenThird
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    First, I'm not clear why "everyone needs to watch this", although it was quite interesting.

Second, I disagree with the father that when you look into her daughter's eyes "you can see an innate intelligence".

Make no mistake, I give these parents a great deal of credit. They didn't give up in frustration, and I can only imagine the countless hours and days and weeks and years of sorrow they felt.

This reminds me a bit of a case I had during my first year of teaching, in the 7th grade. I had a pair of fraternal twins -- a boy and a girl. One day I remarked to the mother that her children were probably the best students I had out of a total of 150 kids. She replied that the daughter had spent the first few years of her life in a residential treatment program for the severely mentally retarded. And then, one particular doctor, noticed some anomalies in testing, and found out that she was not retarded, but actually gifted. By the time she made it to 7th grade, she was a straight A student in gifted classes.

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2013
    That's an amazing story, vinlyn. When I was in first grade I would just do whatever I wanted on the workbooks without following the directions of the exercise. They knew that I wasn't retarded because I had already learned the organs of the human body and other things like that. But they didn't know what was wrong with me. After testing my hearing they considered that I was just not listening to anything the teacher said.
    EvenThird
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I know the feeling...from the other side of the desk! :D
    EvenThirdJeffrey