Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hanging up on marketing people

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
I just hung up on a guy in a flash of anger who cold called me trying to sell me a certain type of insurance that I already have.

I kinda feel bad about it.

He's just trying to make a buck like the rest of us......

It was as if the moment he started talking I knew I was going to hang up but was just waiting for an excuse so that it was justified.

Ukasa, dvara-tayena katam, sabbam aparadham khamatu no [me] bhante.
I ask your leave, I ask you to forgive me for whatever wrong I have done with the three doors (body, speech and mind)

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    I used to answer the hookers in my neighborhood who asked how I was doing when I was walking by. It took me a while to notice how unhelpful it was to them for me to converse with them as it only took time away from their business aims. They didn't really want an acknowledgement so much as sale.

A polite "no thanks" to a salesman selling something that you are not interested in and removing yourself from the conversation (in your case hanging up) is really doing what's best for everyone.
    BunkspoptartJoyfulGirl
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    True story ......

My second marriage lasted about 6 months. Our separation lasted about 8 years and then my ex died (leukemia). We never divorced.

For years afterwards, when marketeers would call asking for "Mrs. ______" I would respond by saying, "I'm very sorry, but Mrs. ______, passed away.".

The embarrassed silence that would invariably follow was priceless
    BunksriverflowChe
  • Don't worry too much about it! I personnally do surveys on the phone and after a while you get used to it. It's a great way for me to practice metta :)
    Bunks
  • You mentioned that you got angry. Why?
    seeker242
  • Sometimes I just put the phone down and let them talk. The really good ones don't give you the chance to politely say goodbye and hang up.
    poptartriverflow
  • how said:

A polite "no thanks" to a salesman selling something that you are not interested in and removing yourself from the conversation (in your case hanging up) is really doing what's best for everyone.

This is good advice, but they don't always take no for an answer. I once encountered a very persistent cold caller who kept ringing back regardless of my polite (or otherwise) refusal. Eventually he asked "Is there someone else there I can talk to?"
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Bunks said:

I just hung up on a guy in a flash of anger who cold called me trying to sell me a certain type of insurance that I already have.

I kinda feel bad about it.

He's just trying to make a buck like the rest of us......

I would propose that you don't feel bad about hanging up on him but rather what you feel bad about is becoming angry with him just for trying to make a buck like the rest of us.

Reminds me of the time when I worked as a cold caller for a stock broker. I called this one guy and did my normal sales pitch. He interrupted me and said "I'm sorry, I'm not interested but good luck!" And then he hung up on me. The thing that struck me was that he sounded very sincere when he said that. Almost as if he had been in my position before, doing what I was doing. He understood my situation and seemed to wish for me to be successful, just not with him. Didn't bother me in the slightest because he was quite friendly about it, even though he completely hung up on me! It's quite possible to be friendly and hang up on someone at the same time. :lol:
    lobsterriverflowBunks
  • For telemarketers calling me on my phone I generally hang up on them without saying anything-- but without getting angry (any more, that is!). I'm saving us both the trouble. Generally responding in any other way will give them something else to feed the "conversation" so they really don't give me much choice but to be rude-- but at least it's just a *click*.

Last winter I had Mormons come to my door-- it had been snowing. I politely told them I really just wasn't interested but thanks for stopping by-- and promptly closed the door. They really shouldn't have been out in that kind of weather anyway! I would've let them in for hot tea, but I wasn't interested in entertaining salesmen (and that's essentially what they are doing, selling a product). But I wasn't angry with them.

Again, I was doing them a favor-- I'm not going to buy what you're selling, so I'm cutting into *your* precious time for whatever quota you have to fill.
  • It's quite possible to be friendly and hang up on someone at the same time.
    Exactly so. I talk over them telling them to take me off their database and not phone again and hang up. However why the animosity? They are potential Buddhas. Firm, business like, efficient. No need to engage.
    riverflow
  • donotcall.gov in the US.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The do not call function works sporadically. Usually I just say, "I'm sorry, I don't take calls like this on the phone. If you have something to say, put it in the mail."
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    C'mon folks! Don't tell me you actually answer the phone if you don't know who's calling.
  • riverflow said:

For telemarketers calling me on my phone I generally hang up on them without saying anything-- but without getting angry (any more, that is!). I'm saving us both the trouble. Generally responding in any other way will give them something else to feed the "conversation" so they really don't give me much choice but to be rude-- but at least it's just a *click*.

Last winter I had Mormons come to my door-- it had been snowing. I politely told them I really just wasn't interested but thanks for stopping by-- and promptly closed the door. They really shouldn't have been out in that kind of weather anyway! I would've let them in for hot tea, but I wasn't interested in entertaining salesmen (and that's essentially what they are doing, selling a product). But I wasn't angry with them.

Again, I was doing them a favor-- I'm not going to buy what you're selling, so I'm cutting into *your* precious time for whatever quota you have to fill.

In my area we have a small group of JW's. There is an even smaller number of people who have not already rejected their religion. They are compelled to log a number of hours each week doing what they do. It must be tough.
    I get the impression that it doesn't matter whether they are walking from one door to the next or sitting at my table, for those hours, talking about the weather, or our children. If they are at my table they effectively leave doors for others in the congregation to knock on as well as getting a break from rejection.
    I'll give them some time if I can spare it.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I do get angry with telemarketers for the simple reason that -- since I am on the do not call lists for both the federal and state governments, they are breaking the law...and they don't even care that they are breaking the law. But I'm angry about the law breaking far more than I am about the annoyance of the call.

I also get angry with 2 local charities for repeated calls...sometimes weekly or more. They are not charities I support, and I rarely have the type of items they are seeking. But they keep calling over and over and over...I would say, conservatively, over 35 per year...even though I have asked to be taken off their phone lists, and they promise they will, and then they are right back with calls every couple of weeks. I hate lying...particularly repeated lying.

I just ran for our HOA Board, and it was a somewhat heated election. I didn't make phone calls, nor did I knock on doors...because to me that is invading the privacy of the home.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Nirvana said:

C'mon folks! Don't tell me you actually answer the phone if you don't know who's calling.

Yes, sometimes I do. I have learned that some calls that I get with mysterious numbers are valid calls that I want to receive.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    What I get a lot of calls from are "headhunters" - recruiters for staffing agencies and consultancies. I guess people with a resume like mine are in short supply because I get at least 3 calls a week and over twice that many emails, from these people wanting to present me to a client for a job opening they have.

It gets pretty annoying, but I feel compelled to at least listen to the messages the leave in my voicemail.

Although it's often annoying and at times can be exhausting, I guess it's a good problem to have.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I don't see any thing wrong with hanging up on cold callers, they may be trying to make a buck but they are trying to make a buck out of you.
  • If they took no for an answer I wouldn't hang up. Sadly they keep talking their spiel when I clearly tell them no. I've had callers ask me why I am not buying their product. This was 'onstar' car service. Anyhow I said no and they asked why. So I simply said that I didn't want to pay the money. There is no contradicting not wanting to pay the money. The hook of their deal was that there was no charge for joining, but I know that's just to get me in the door.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

You mentioned that you got angry. Why?

Good question.

Like many of us anxious types I don't like to say no to people. And when I do say no to people I expect them to respect that and stop asking me. However, this guy just kept going so I got angry and said goodbye and hung up.

poptart
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    There are charities who employ callers to ring existing donors and convince them to increase their donations.
    Here, they're referred to as 'Chuggers' (Charity Muggers).

My H worked as one for a matter of 3 weeks, before he quit in disgust.

He hated their work ethic. It was basically putting a metaphorical foot in the door and making donors feel guilty for 'only' giving their existing sum/month.

At least if I ever get called, I know exactly what to say as a first question.

"How much do YOU donate to this charity?"

you can always phrase the question as appropriate, to your caller: 'Are YOU insured with this company?' or 'Do you have these windows/bathrooms/loft insulation installed in YOUR home?'

It kind of puts them on a back foot, because you can tell them that you will increase your donation (install/subscribe to whatever they're promoting) only on the condition that they match your input.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    "I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude, but I'm going to hang up now. Byeeeee" **Click**

Job jobbed.
    BunkslobsterNirvana
  • When they call I say in a calm and friendly voice: "I am sorry but right now is not a good time. But you have a wonderful evening". Then I immediately hang up.

I do not engage with the telemarketer in any way. Just do the above regardless of whether they are speaking and of what they're saying.

As for anger, it hasn't arisen in that particular situation lately but I can easily imagine that it can if I'm having a lousy day. Be mindful of it, develop insight into it and do not act on it.
    BunksKundolobsterNirvana
  • I do not engage with the telemarketer in any way. Just do the above regardless of whether they are speaking and of what they're saying?
    Same policy works for trolls.
    Very occasionally I engage with them, trolls feel neglected, bless them . . .
    http://www.insidecrm.com/articles/crm-blog/flip-the-script-34-scripts-and-ideas-for-getting-back-at-telemarketers-53529
  • This reminds me of a guy I've known since highschool.

He gets random calls every six months or so from the Heart Foundation to donate money. The guy has no job, is over thirty, and is being supported by his father. Despite his lack of his own earning cash, because of what he claims as an inability to [man-up and] "say no" he simply submits and makes a donation of $150.

Speaking of which, I guess the calls every six months are no longer random. He's donated twice now, and he'll no doubt receive further calls.

He's a bit of an unfortunate soul; suffers from bad depression, overweight, never had a job in his life, no college degree, and hangs out with similar types. I try not to be judgemental (hah just re-read that previous sentence) but I don't know how I can help, he's just sinking further and further.

Well end rant now. As for me ... usually I just hang up. Same with the people on the street; a polite shake of the head. My feeling is that I have a right to spend the money I've worked for in the way I want (net of taxes etc); and similar have the right to spend my time in the way I want, subject to various responsibilities (which I like to think I choose to do anyway!).