Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Please Spare a Thought

KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
Namaste all,

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bondi-attack--racial-vilification-can-escalate-into-racial-violence-20131027-2w9c5.html

On Friday night, people that I know got attacked walking home from Shabbas dinner in Bondi, THE most Jewish area in Sydney (if not Australia). Thankfully, the wounds were not too bad, however the father remains in hospital with bleeding on the brain.

My Rabbi said on Saturday that "whilst our first reaction would be to take arms and avenge our friends, that is not the Jewish way. Fighting violence with violence is not the answer and just sets more violence in motion. How do we remove the darkness? With the light. We must fight violence instead with chesed (kindness)"

If you can spare any good thoughts for the family I would be most grateful.

In metta,
Raven
VastmindcvalueMaryAnneEvenThirdpegembaramatthewmartinBunksDavid

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Love, light and blessings to all involved.
    Thank you for sharing your Rabbis' message.
    Kundo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2013
    The thought I had was how sad. Both that the people were hurt and that someone would be so sick as to hurt them.
    Kundo
  • Rabbis, priests and people of good will are coming into being, into global consciousness, into mainstream.

Spread the kindness guys, we have a world to save. :om:
    Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    lobster said:

Rabbis, priests and people of good will are coming into being, into global consciousness, into mainstream.

Spread the kindness guys, we have a world to save. :om:

Namaste @lobster,

My first thought upon hearing the Rabbi say that, was "Rabbi Eli and the Buddha would have gotten on like a house on fire" :)

In metta.
    Raven
    EvenThirdlobster
  • My Rabbi said on Saturday that "whilst our first reaction would be to take arms and avenge our friends, that is not the Jewish way. Fighting violence with violence is not the answer and just sets more violence in motion. How do we remove the darkness? With the light. We must fight violence instead with chesed (kindness)"
    Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness but because we deserve peace ourselves.

Never here by enmity
    are those with enmity allayed,
    they are allayed by amity,
    this is the timeless Truth.
    Kundo
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    metta to all sentient beings.

Buddha's teachings - hatred never ceases with hatred. hatred ceases with loving-kindness.
    VastmindKundoBunks
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I have no words of wisdom. But a good thought? Lots to spare... consider it done. To paraphrase Apple - there's a mitzvah for that!
    Kundo
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    May they all heal both victim and assailant.
    May this disease of us and "them" be cured.
    NirvanaVastmind
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Shalom
    Shanti Shanti Shanti
    Shalom
    JeffreyVastmind
  • Namaste all,

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bondi-attack--racial-vilification-can-escalate-into-racial-violence-20131027-2w9c5.html

On Friday night, people that I know got attacked walking home from Shabbas dinner in Bondi, THE most Jewish area in Sydney (if not Australia). Thankfully, the wounds were not too bad, however the father remains in hospital with bleeding on the brain.

My Rabbi said on Saturday that "whilst our first reaction would be to take arms and avenge our friends, that is not the Jewish way. Fighting violence with violence is not the answer and just sets more violence in motion. How do we remove the darkness? With the light. We must fight violence instead with chesed (kindness)"

If you can spare any good thoughts for the family I would be most grateful.

In metta,
    Raven

Starting them young should work perhaps. Educate them not with guns. Over here, there is a local saying, that if you want to shape a bamboo, you'd have to start with the shoot.

Kundo