Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what is important for you?

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
hi all,

just a thought came to my mind to ask you all - what is important for you? please tell, if you wish.

as far as what is important for me, exactly i dont know. but these days i have put my work on a lower priority - not in the sense that i have totally left my work or i do not go to office - but in the sense that even though i daily go to office and i also do the work in office, i have started to take my work less seriously - meaning i have started to give up being proactive and trying to figure out all the work related issues - this can lead me to a general appraisal, which many people get in which the promotion chance and salary increment is less - and i will not get a very good appraisal, which very few people get which helps in promotion and salary increment. i have convinced myself that it is ok if i do not get promotion or salary increment.

i am 32 years old and i now try to live in a more relaxed way. i do fear i may loose my job, my family etc - but somehow i am trying to not take many things seriously - may be i am becoming coward and lazy in this way, but i have started to give less importance to many things.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Now into my my mid-60s, health is #1. Beyond that, hoping to do some traveling in the western US and enjoying friends.
    misecmisc1Kundo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Great question!

My wife and kids, the dhamma............huge gap............other family, friends, work and sport

misecmisc1Vastmind
  • edited October 2013
    I have like you misecmisc1 have taken a more "go with the flow" approach (at home and work) and it feels a relief not to have to control the uncontrolable.

At work If someone needs me or everyone is focused on a major deadline that was needed yesterday I to focus and work hard and the task gets done. When things slip I genuinly appologise for any inconvenience caused and move on with the day.

At home I just enjoy my son, daughter and wife time more. Ask myself does this need doing now and have tried to stop planning time (you might say be in the moment more)

Its hard to break what i have practiced for 30 years but do feel less rattled, tired sometimes can respond better to situations at home and word due to this.

If it makes you feel any better I too wonder if its lazy and dread my work aprasal this year but may be its the way our work places measure sucsesses and quality of work. I know my friends and family prefer me relaxed and while I note work has a importance (pays the mortgae and puts food on the table for one). Once you have fulfilled your ambitions and earned "enough" its time to look at lifes other big rocks.
    misecmisc1BunksVastmind
  • Just another note. I was "told off" resently for not getting a report in on time. It not only gave me a chance to practice patience but made me ponder over the suffering my boss must be facing from her boss and the consept of paradimes (view points). It made me glad I have the teahings of Buddhism.
    misecmisc1MaryAnnevinlynVastmind
  • Happiness; and making other people happy. Though, really, I think they come down to the same thing.

Now if only I'd remember that all the time...
    misecmisc1lobsterVastmind
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Whats important to me?????

To always remember "this above all, to thine own self be true.."
    misecmisc1Vastmind
  • how said:

Clarity/freedom/equanimity and an ever widening heart.

Plus increased compassion, faith and trust in The Three Jewels, and service to others. Otherwise I can add little to @how's answer. :)

ToshVastmind
  • My parents and my brother. Meditation. Learning from books and materials. My sangha. My dog and cats. Getting a job that fits me (and my illness). Taking new meds to get relief from my illness.
    cvaluemisecmisc1Vastmind
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

My daughter, family and friends. Being mindful all the time and remembering the interconnectedness of all means we affect each other no matter what. Cultivating kindness and compassion. Leading by example, especially for my daughter.

But I think the two most important things for me are:

* Leave the world a better place than it was when I entered.
    * Appreciate the lessons I learn by being mother to my daughter. She is so naturally altruistic and compassionate. I am very lucky to have been given the opportunity to be her student. She has been teaching me from day one.

In metta,
    Raven
    lobsterpommesetorangesmisecmisc1Vastmind
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Only one thing, that thing without which all things are nothing worth: Caritas!

If to mine own self being true were foremost, Love would be the first casualty to an enthroned self whose cherished opinions and goals would be a bulwark against really experiencing the Truth. Sincerity is a far better thing than that. And if you're not enlightened by the power of love to know who and what you really are, it's all a waste of time.

Love is not finding fault with others, but rather to look to their good points.
    Love is not to possess but to set others free.
    Love is turning imprisonment in a delusional single solitariness into ecstasy.

Truth is Summation and Love is the heart of truth.
    Love is the True Sum
    ---and the view of mere disconnected, unrelated parts is nothing save the darkened view.

Let the light in, let it shine, and Be True.

That Loving Consciousness is You.

Never turn the heart's fire down. Be sincerely naked to the truth.
    Give up all your possessions, go naked in love
    to
    the
    Truth.
  • Great answers guys,
    wonderful.

I feel a trite song coming on . . .

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
    Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
    Brown paper packages tied up with strings
    These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
    Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
    Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
    Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
    Silver white winters that melt into springs

When the dog bites
    When the bee stings
    When I'm feeling sad
    I simply remember my favorite things
    And then I don't feel so bad

Personally I take delight in very ordinary things.
    Waiting for a bus, hearing people's experiences here . . . the other day I got caught in torrential rain. It was wonderful. New waterproof jacket worked well.
    Dharma has given me the ability to find the import in the trivial . . .
    BunksVastmindNirvana
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I have an ideal job in mind that would involve a career change, but if I am honest to myself I can settle with an average job that pays enough if it is fairly stress free. So sometimes I fight in my mind about which is more important. My "dream job" or a job that wouldn't consume much of my energy and is easy with ok pay..

Things that are most important-
    Dhamma, Health, Friends/Family

My mental health has been especially important these days, as I realized I've been in denial about some of my problems, thinking they were too mild for a diagnosis or for anyone else to notice. However, being wrong about that makes me more open to observing my brain/thinking so maybe I will catch things quicker in the future.
    Vastmindmisecmisc1
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Loving this thread ! :)
    This is the stuff that makes NB important to me! hehe

My answer is a mix of everyone's.