Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Strange Meditation Experience

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
Hi all

A few weeks ago I went and sat in a Zen meditation class at lunch time.

I had a bit of a blocked nose that day so was having some trouble breathing in and out through it. All of a sudden the teacher heading the class sneezed and immediately my nose cleared up! Granted, I was startled by the noise so it was probably that that caused my nose to clear but I still found it a little odd.

Then, a few minutes later, the teacher came around to adjust people's posture (as they do in Zen). He lightly touched my shoulders and moved them slightly. Then he stayed with his hands on my shoulders for what seemed like ages (about a minute). I began to get uncomfortable with this until I opened my eyes and realised he had walked back to his cushion and wasn't there any more!

It was kind of weird. It's funny how the mind plays tricks on us.
VastmindEvenThirdcvalue

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Meditation sometimes seems an exercise in experiencing how the difference between self and non self is just that what conditions sense gate data and that what doesn't.
    That experience is a perfect illustration of what was real compared to what wasn't.
  • So which is real? What you saw or what you felt?
    Then, a few minutes later, the teacher came around to adjust people's posture (as they do in Zen). He lightly touched my shoulders and moved them slightly. Then he stayed with his hands on my shoulders for what seemed like ages (about a minute). I began to get uncomfortable with this until I opened my eyes and realised he had walked back to his cushion and wasn't there any more!

VastmindEvenThird
    BunksJeffrey
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    The sneeze thing was just a coincidence. Nothing more.
  • sounds like a phenomenon of the mind that shouldn't be treated as superstition
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    pegembara said:

So which is real? What you saw or what you felt?

VastmindEvenThird
    @pegembara

A reasonable question for contemplation
    But usually
    the dichotomy of what is real and not, is just a side track off the meditative path. Another intellectual cul-de-sac of mental stimulation, a diversion, from just staying the meditative course toward it's transcendence.