Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Well... they say "necessity is the mother of invention" (who are "they", anyway?)

I would like to occasionally do a short offering at the altar, mostly before going out in the morning, or even in the evening. But the tea light candles I use burn for about 3 1/2 hours, and the incense agarbathi sticks burn for about 1/2 hour. I don't like leaving things burning, nor extinguishing them. Even though my partner is home, I don't feel right about lighting candles and incense then leaving; it just feels creepy. It's like inviting someone to dinner, throwing the food on the table and saying "by the way, I have to go out". :-/

Soooo... I realized I had small cone incense and birthday candles. I put one of each into the brass bowl that contains the decorative sand I stand the agarbathi in to catch the ashes. I lit the candle (I think maybe I should use three?) and the incense cone in the sand, sounded the bell, poured water into the small offering bowls (I found some adorable Chinese tea cup-type bowls in JCPenney for 2.99 ea. :) ), said the refuge prayers, bodhisattva and bodhicitta prayers, some recitations of Namo Amitabha Buddha, dedication prayers, spent a few minutes and then went about my routine. By the time I was ready to leave the house, the candle and incense burned down. I felt like I started the day on the right note. :)
JeffreyDavidVastmindlobstersndymornS_Mouse

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Thanks, I enjoyed that little read.

I've always liked that saying and it makes me think of what makes natural selection select.

Usually, "they" are just bunches of us.
    Vastmind
  • It's great to be part of that nebulous "they", isn't it? :lol:
    DavidVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I like the birthday candle idea!..... Never thought of that! :)
    There are several places I'll be using that now...Thanks!
  • Glad to be of help @Vastmind. I have my moments. :D

Oh, but don't use the little plastic holders. Since birthday candles are usually blown out before they burn down, they never reach the holder... which melts.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I keep a snuffer in the shrine room to put ot my tealights when I finish practice. I never "blow" them out - that's a no-no. If the incense hasn't finished burning, I turn the stick around and bury the burning end in the sand I've filled the incense bowl with.
  • Yes, breath is considered impure. I have snuffers too for regular house ambience candles. I have an ocpd thing about not finishing candles or incense. Again, to me it's like offering something to someone then taking it away. Of course, we know I have "issues". :lol: When I used oil lamps I put only enough oil to burn for a few hours in the evening while I was around. I don't care what the Hindus say, oil lamps are messy.

oil lamps are messy.

+1

That's why I use tea lights. BTW, I think IKEA has the best tea lights.

• I use oil lamps because the scent can be as powerful as you like it. I like strong scents and I cannot buy candles strong enough. Another solution would be incense which is also quite strong, but my mom doesn't want smoke in the house.
    ever try "smokeless" incense?

BTW, an offering of incense need not be lighted.
  • I have something like these, but with more rounded sides. They also make nice little water offering cups:

I didn't know oil could be scented. I use canola oil when I do use an oil lamp:

I'm clumsy at times, and afraid I'll knock them over because they are so small.

I didn't know about the unlit incense either.
  • Paraffin based lamp oil is very clean burning and can be scented.
  • D'oh! Of course, I've seen that. :D
  • Face whatever you're facing wherever you're facing as your altar.
    My $.02