Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Approaching a monastery in China

Hello everyone,

I am studying in China right now, and will have two months off between semesters which I would like to dedicate to the pursuit of reclusive self-examination. Ideally, I would like to spend my time at a monastery, learning from other seekers of peace and enlightenment. However, I am unsure of how one would approach such a situation. Is it appropriate to ask a monastery whether I can study with them for a given period of time? Also, I am also unaware of how to come into contact with a reclusive monastery. If anybody has advice for me in this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

杰森
EvenThirdSabrecvalueInvincible_summerS_Mouse

Comments

• EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Hi,

I don't have anything as far as advice, but if you don't mind, may I ask where in China you are?
    I live in Guangdong.

Welcome to the forum!
    Good luck & I hope to see you around :)
  • check this out...

• They probably wouldn't mind if you approached them directly. Just go for it. :) If a certain monastery can't have you for some reason, it's useful to ask them for other places. They know more than you do, probably.
  • i'd say if you ask politely and state your purpose and would be honest and specific and full of sincerity....i think it would be a :thumbsup: for you :clap: