Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Henry was jammin' !

I wish I had thought/knew of this when I used to visit Nana. :(
  • Very interesting post. Thanks Jeffrey.

• Brought tears to my eyes. My mother is in her 80s, and has become very hard of hearing and she's been a musician all her life. She still plays the guitar and sings at nursing homes, even if she can't really hear the music anymore. She tells me not being able to hear music has taken a lot of the joy out of her life.

But our medicare system in the USA refuses to pay for hearing aids for the elderly, believe it or not. If you can't hear, tough. Our fine government full of old men with their medical coverage that does cover hearing aids refuses to authorize the tiny bit of money it would take for the less fortunate.

And hearing aids cost thousands of dollars, each! No way she can afford one on her limited income.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    While it still doesn't make them cheap, Costco carries state-of-the-art, major brand hearing aids at a more reasonable price than "regular" hearing aid distributors.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2013
    vinlyn said:

While it still doesn't make them cheap, Costco carries state-of-the-art, major brand hearing aids at a more reasonable price than "regular" hearing aid distributors.

I'll check around again. The last time we looked for ways to get her one was several years ago. She wrote letters to her congressmen, etc, and all she got back was generic "we can't keep spending money on entitlements" letters (Ohio, so they were Republican elected officials, of course).
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Several years back I had a rather severe -- though fortunately temporary (for about 5 years) -- hearing loss. Used Costco hearing aids...a life saver. Excellent service, as well.

Checkout this article: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-11/why-costco-rules-in-hearing-aids-dot-as-well-as-gummie-bears
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @Cinorjer...

Here is page of possible resources...They are worth checking out...

http://www.hearingloss.org/content/financial-assistance-programs-foundations

What state is she in? I'll do some more research and see if we can
    hook Mom up....(My Sis and family are involved in some deaf/HOH
    organizations)
    sndymorn
  • Vastmind said:

@Cinorjer...

Here is page of possible resources...They are worth checking out...

http://www.hearingloss.org/content/financial-assistance-programs-foundations

What state is she in? I'll do some more research and see if we can
    hook Mom up....(My Sis and family are involved in some deaf/HOH
    organizations)

Ohio. Send me a message if you think of any resources.