Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

You cannot love

Unless you become empty first. To be empty means to be free of motive, expectations. To be able to love as Christ loved ... One must become totally empty. And in that emptiness, love may blossom. That's the meaning of the cross, anatta.
JeffreySabreInvincible_summer

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    well, when you become totally empty, then also there will be no 'you' to love 'someone else'.

you can love even if you are not empty, but that love will be conditional love and not unconditional love - but we can survive with conditional love also, otherwise samsara would not have been continuing till now.
  • I think you must mean until you have realized emptiness. Form is emptiness, so really, you cannot become empty.
    As misecmisc1 has said, there are plenty of people who have loved, almost everybody in fact, without realizing emptiness.
    I think that love can only be conditional on there being an object of love and one who loves.
    Even if the object of love is the whole world.
    anataman
  • betaboy said:

Unless you become empty first. To be empty means to be free of motive, expectations. To be able to love as Christ loved ... One must become totally empty. And in that emptiness, love may blossom. That's the meaning of the cross, anatta.

What is meant by emptiness? Do you mean no self?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    All true.....
    as long as one remembers that it's not
    all or nothing.
    MaryAnneInvincible_summeranataman
  • betaboy said:

Didn't know Christ was empty.
  • Everything is empty because its impermanent kids .
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @Klmeer says
    klmeer said:

Everything is empty because its impermanent kids .

Is that not why we must regard it with the compassion it deserves? And does true compassion that we aspire to not come with unconditional love?

Lets fill that emptiness with unconditional love, and our deluded world may become a better place. If you kick a dog, expect it to bite you; give it a good tummy rub and tickle behind the ears and then see how it responds.