Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

20 years of vipassana equals 9 months of yoga

edited November 2013 in Buddhism Basics
How compatible and in which way are they compatible? Hindu and Buddist .Where did it all start ?Hindu truths went into bhuddhism ?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    klmeer said:

Hindu truths went into buddhism ?

Yep, start with Hinduism, take out God and Soul, and hey presto, Buddhism. :D
    Chazblu3reelobster
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    What does the title have to do with the question? I'm a bit lost.
    SabreDaltheJigsaw
  • klmeer said:

How compatible and in which way are they compatible? Hindu and Buddist .Where did it all start ?Hindu truths went into bhuddhism ?

There is no Hindu truth or Buddhist truth. Just the truth.
  • klmeer said:

Hindu truths went into buddhism ?

It's a bit more complex. I think - for example - they have different views on karma. In Hinduism (or Brahmanic tradition) they believe you can burn off negative karma through ascetic practises; but we don't do that in Buddhism.

A good book which outlines the differences is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exploring-Karma-Rebirth-Nagapriya/dp/1899579613/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383993054&sr=1-1&keywords=karma+rebirth

It's a long time since I read it though. One phrase I remember from the book is that the Buddha 'put new wine into old bottles'.

lobster
    Tosh said:

It's a bit more complex. I think - for example - they have different views on karma.
    Yes, I think there are some technical differences, but the basic principles look quite similar to me. In Hinduism there is moksha ( liberation from samsara ), which looks very similar to nirvana.
    I think the main point of departure is the Hindu idea of the union of Brahman and Atman, which doesn't seem to have an equivalent in Buddhism.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

I don't understand this either??? Any explanation or how it ties in?
    Invincible_summer
    LeonBasin said:

I don't understand this either??? Any explanation or how it ties in?
    I don't know either, but maybe we should all start doing yoga.... :D
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Spiritual fractions?
    Invincible_summer
    how said:

Spiritual fractions?

I think a Hindu would argue it's all yoga anyway.;)

But yes, if there is some kind of voucher exchange scheme I might sign up. :p
    Invincible_summer